Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

HELP US SAVE CW. AT ALL COST!

Started by DarkestEx, March 01, 2018, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Hello, beloved CodeWalrus community.

I have been with you almost since the beginning of this site.
Over the years, I have met a lot of interesting people here, that I still have contact to.
I have also found good friends that are more than just online friends.
It's really sad to see the community slowly die because of the lack of activity and honestly some stupid administrative decisions here.
Now, it's time to deddicate some time back to CodeWalrus and keep the community alive.
People, just go to the Latest Activity Feed and just click any post you may find interesting and post something nice.
Tell them your opinion on the topic. Share your ideas and constructive criticism!

Don't let this site die! Also don't let it become a sole Discord channel since Discord can just not replace a flourishing forum.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

123outerme

I agree. We have too much already here to let it die. Of course, in some capacity, everyone is already on some different calc forum, but still.
Also, I would like to point out that if you're looking to find information about user engagement, overall post count would not be the right statistic to use. I would use the unique number of users posting per week/month/year to describe how we have little engagement. One example that proves my point is if only one user posts, but posts 1000 posts, vs having 10 users post 10 posts. 1000 > 100 to be sure, but the latter situation has more engagement.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I gave up on forums when I realized that nothing improved despite posting the same topic as this one about 10 times over the last 15 years. People expect that only user #1 is in charge of generating discussion.

And me and juju's life changes happened so fast that we could not initiate CW 2.0 nor a full staff renewal in time. Now the staff requirements are no longer as high, but we would prefer only hiring people who were not in constant danger of being permbanned due to their bipolar antics (being nice during 5 months, only to spend the 6th trying to make staff members ragequit)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: xlibman on March 02, 2018, 07:09:16 PM
I gave up on forums when I realized that nothing improved despite posting the same topic as this one about 10 times over the last 15 years. People expect that only user #1 is in charge of generating discussion.

And me and juju's life changes happened so fast that we could not initiate CW 2.0 nor a full staff renewal in time. Now the staff requirements are no longer as high, but we would prefer only hiring people who were not in constant danger of being permbanned due to their bipolar antics (being nice during 5 months, only to spend the 6th trying to make staff members ragequit)

I've given the same offer to other admins not so long ago, but if there's any role I could fill to help with this issue, I would be more than glad to take it up. The only thing I for sure wouldn't be able to do is hosting or covering the hosting costs, seeing as I don't really have much disposable income.

_iPhoenix_

Additionally, you can help boost CW posts by competing in UCC4! It's a really sweet topic this time, where you can create a program the customizes :walrii:'s

I also think that the big yellow banner might be harmful. It could scare users away who would otherwise post a topic.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

123outerme

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on March 02, 2018, 08:36:53 PM
I also think that the big yellow banner might be harmful. It could scare users away who would otherwise post a topic.
Actually, I was also thinking that. If people think that the forums are only up for archival (which they aren't, since we can still post), they wouldn't bother coming here to have discussions. I think the banner should say something along the lines of "Having a Slow Year" or something. I think we can turn this around, though!

Dream of Omnimaga

I will probably change the color.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: xlibman on March 02, 2018, 11:40:41 PM
I will probably change the color.
You should really better just get rid of it. It makes matters worse by quite a lot.
_iPhoenix_ and 123outerme are absolutely right there.
It implies that the forum is dead.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Yuki

That makes you guys post about it, at least :)

EDIT:
Well, yeah, I agree it could be worded better, but well, the intent is there. We don't want to get rid of the forum per se, nor accelerate its death, but we figured, given the state of CW, its shoutbox and its admins, that we should promote the Discord server so you wouldn't miss anything and gather everyone there if forums are no longer the thing in 2018. So to say we moved on Discord, it's kind of true, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't post on the forums anymore.

If you guys want to make the forums stay alive, that's not up to a few select people here, but everyone. So what can I say, post your projects, participate in the contests and invite your friends :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Unicorn

Hey guys...

I know I dissapeared, and I feel like I should ahve stayed around and posted the stuff I was working on, even though it has nothing to do with calculators :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

_iPhoenix_

1:
Why the **** are posts upside down for me (most recent on top?) Was this a setting I accidentally whacked, and if so, where is it?
2:

I kind of left all programming communities for about a week near January, and when I came back, posting wasn't really happening as much. I think my absence could have snowballed into this, because I have been one of the most abtove yders ib thr pasr yeo mintjs.
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

critor

Seeing that valuable/huge calculators community achievements suddenly stopped being featured on the home page months ago, I proposed helping with this, as I already do on ticalc.org. Several times.
I don't remember ever getting any reply. Neither yes nor no. :(

Maybe I could have done more for CodeWalrus, but it's not like I didn't try.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: critor on March 07, 2018, 09:10:35 AM
Seeing that valuable/huge calculators community achievements suddenly stopped being featured on the home page months ago, I proposed helping with this, as I already do on ticalc.org. Several times.
I don't remember ever getting any reply. Neither yes nor no. :(

Maybe I could have done more for CodeWalrus, but it's not like I didn't try.
I don't remember if I actually got those or if they got lost among other new PM's . The best is to PM suggestions, offers and requests to the 5 staff members in case.  I am personally open to people featuring content on of the front page, but I am not around as often