Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Fallout 84+

Started by kegwaan, December 14, 2015, 10:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather play Fallout on the TI-84+, or the TI-84+ CSE/CE?

TI-84+
11 (78.6%)
TI-84+ CSE/CE
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

kegwaan

So I took some advice and I am starting to learn Axe. I've gotten simple grayscale sprites and the ability to move them around the screen:

(It looks better on calc, jsTIfied behaves a little weird. I also didn't know how fast I was moving the sprite because recording a GIF slows the emulator down)
I might stick with that sprite, based on this image:

however I might change my mind.

I also discovered that Fallout 1 had a demo (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Demo), that took place in only one town and had a shorter story line. I'm going to first recreate the demo, and maybe after that I will add to it. I've also seen that making a checklist helps a lot of people, so here we go:

• Add map and tiles
  • Collision detection
  • Add other characters (with movement)
  • Dialogue
  • Combat system
  • S.P.E.C.I.A.L., traits, and skills
  • Title screen
That's kind of a long list, but I tried to organize it by importance.
If you see anything missing from that list, let me know. See you soon, hopefully with number 1 on the list close to finished. ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

alexgt

That seems like a great idea, glad you are learning Axe. Asm programs are much more enjoyable than BASIC since they are almost always faster ;).
And good luck as always.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Recreating the demo within the calculator limits would probably be a good idea. Also glad to see you are learning more :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

And once you have the engine down you can just add more to the game ;)

kegwaan

Quote from: alexgt on December 17, 2015, 02:05:12 PM
And once you have the engine down you can just add more to the game ;)
Maybe I could include a program to make your own maps for the game  ;)
But before I get into the complicated stuff, I need to get the basics down first. So does anyone have some good tips and resources on how to tilemap in Axe? I haven't found any good resources on the tilemapping techniques.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

alexgt

DarkestEx

First, making your game for the 84+ in Axe using grayscale deserves a big thumbs up  :thumbsup:

Second, I used time maps in two step. It supports compression to save RAM, allows changing the current level in RAM and has some other important features such as portals. I am more than willing to give you my code.
Note that you can only use 16 different tiles when using compression. I also made a scriptable level editor for it (in axe too and right on calc). It uses a very fast way to translate tiles into sprites by using a lookup table to work with the tiles. Gray scale support can be added relatively easy.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2