Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

ISIS attacks in Paris - Are we safe anymore?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 14, 2015, 06:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Seriously, there are no words to describe what happened in Paris today. I have read from some IRC logs that our prominent users, as well as the TI-Planet staff, are all safe, but we don't know if perhaps one or more community member was caught in the attack. I hope whoever lives in France besides the ones who showed signs of life earlier will show signs of life as soon as possible so that we know they are safe. A lot of community members live or lived in Paris. My condolences and prayers goes to the people affected by this tragedy.  :'(

Now that begs the question: Who is next? Because with ISIS being spread out everywhere in small groups and now attacking civilians randomly, perhaps another country will be next tomorrow, in a week, in a month, etc. I hope that they eliminate all of those terrorists, but the problem is that they're scattered everywhere and you could be living right next to one or a future one. What boggles my mind is why certain catholics, atheists, jews, buddhists and even regular muslims decides to convert themselves then joins ISIS to kill people?

I also worry about our freedom, because if one day those attacks become out of control, will France, USA, Canada, German and other governments instate martial law to allow stuff such as searching everyone's home/computers on a regular basis, monitor all communications even more than they do now and impose curfews preventing everyone from going out? It also sucks for all peaceful muslims who left their countries due to war and have to deal with increased bigotry everytime terrorist attacks happen.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2015, 06:03:42 AM
What boggles my mind is why certain catholics, atheists, jews, buddhists and even regular muslims decides to convert themselves then joins ISIS to kill people?
That's unfortunately just the way the human mind works, propaganda is extremely strong. How do you think the nazis got their way back then ? They just brainwashed the people, who then blindly followed them. Of course some resist, but not everyone has the psychological strength to do so.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, brainwashing still exists today, sadly. :/

What I think is this mainly targets people with bad childhood or mental issues, just like the mass school shootings in USA. But instead of doing a mass shooting at school, they just join extremist groups and ISIS is the prefered one.

Also I am unsure but I think ISIS is worse than the Nazis or at least equally as bad. What they are doing is just disgusting and it seems like if ISIS had the power to do so they would go as far as performing genocides.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2015, 09:20:08 AM
What I think is this mainly targets people with bad childhood or mental issues, just like the mass school shootings in USA. But instead of doing a mass shooting at school, they just join extremist groups and ISIS is the prefered one.
Anyone is vulnerable, the 9/11 people were definitely not random dumbasses they grabbed in the streets, they knew how to fly a plane, and that's no easy feat.

p4nix

Guys remember: not only the IS kills. I've read a book about resistance figthers in the irag war - the crimes 'murica did where crucial as well. And this is why I even can understand some people having anger against america and europe. (America is just one example).
Otherwise, I hope that people one day can all come together in peace. Imagine not nations, but the humanity living together, all towards one goal: making the world a better place.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 14, 2015, 09:39:16 AM
Anyone is vulnerable, the 9/11 people were definitely not random dumbasses they grabbed in the streets, they knew how to fly a plane, and that's no easy feat.
There is an interesting story about 09/11 I can tell you on IRC.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

novenary

You can't compare these war crimes to what IS is doing, these people have their minds set on taking over the world and care more for death than for life. In a way they're much closer to the nazis. I'm not using this as an excuse for the Americans, or anyone else, but it's just on a completely different level.

tr1p1ea

Sending out my condolences to all those affected by this act of terror - I am quite worried about the state of the world at present.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 14, 2015, 09:39:16 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2015, 09:20:08 AM
True, but ISIS seems to be recruiting anyone in the world now, including students. There are even Quebec students who used to be catholic and left for Syria to fight on ISIS side, and ISIS seems to mindlessly kill people regardless of the mean used to kill. If they can't fly a plane, they'll use a car and if they can't drive nor have any weapon, then they'll just charge at people like the terrorist attack last year in Quebec. They were told to use whatever mean/skill they could find to cause terror and kill.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 14, 2015, 09:46:14 AM
You can't compare these war crimes to what IS is doing, these people have their minds set on taking over the world and care more for death than for life. In a way they're much closer to the nazis. I'm not using this as an excuse for the Americans, or anyone else, but it's just on a completely different level.
I agree.

novenary

Also the government is partly to blame in what transpired last night. The police and the army are rendered useless by the law, they are only allowed to act in extreme cases and when their own lives are threatened. Additionally, when the police manages to catch actual criminals, most of the time court undoes their effort by letting them get away with ridiculously harmless sentences or even nothing at all because someone decided that punishing crime is bad. Yes, even people who were arrested for the same crimes multiple times, and these crimes are not small ones.

Another thing is that they finally decided to close the borders, but it's too late for that now. A lot of potential terrorists came with the refugees, so they're already in. The crime rate in all of Europe has increased since these "refugees" are there, I don't think it's a coincidence.

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends though. In Canada and USA, police won't hesitate to shoot down  terrorists and mass shooters even if it's other people's lives that are threatened and not just theirs. However, when the criminal survives the police intervention, this is when things goes haywire. In Quebec, you can be declared mentally insane during the crime and get away with it, like Guy Turcotte, who murdered his two kids and still got away with it.

As for the refugees, while I am ok with immigrants fleeing war, allowing them in poses a security threat IMHO because some terrorists use this occasion to sneak into other countries. This is why Canada was reluctant about allowing them in. I'm not racist or anything but if they are allowed into countries, authorities will need to occasionally search their homes or monitor their offline/online activities to ensure they aren't part of an extremist group.

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2015, 10:15:56 AM
It depends though. In Canada and USA, police won't hesitate to shoot down  terrorists and mass shooters even if it's other people's lives that are threatened and not just theirs. However, when the criminal survives the police intervention, this is when things goes haywire. In Quebec, you can be declared mentally insane during the crime and get away with it, like Guy Turcotte, who murdered his two kids and still got away with it.
In France the law prevents the police from doing anything until the criminals act, which means that even a premeditated thing is impossible to counter, in other words there will always be damages. Over here the security is strong, there are controls at the entry of every building including shopping malls, cinemas, train stations, etc.

As for the "refugees", it's not even a problem with what you're quoting, they are blatantly violating the law, and disturb people by doing things like monopolizing multiple seats in trains by lying down on them to sleep. The army is there but they can't do anything.

gameblabla

What a way to start a day... Now i feel like s*** again.
They said 'blackboxes' would stop them, they said spying on us would save us...
Yeah right my ass.

I said it since the Charly Hebdo massacre, it's the fault of the muslims here in France taking advantage of the youth poverty
and pushing them to do horrible massacres such as these because adults from 18 to 25 years old are not getting any money from the state,
not even the RSA.
To fight and stop ISIS, we must first help the poor (like a basic income) and tell them not to switch to the dark side.

I hope Hollande will realise how foolish he was when he thought he would stop them by spying on us...

RIP to the victims
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

DarkestEx

I absolutely have no words. I feel sorry for the people there and I am afraid as France is so close to Germany. They have to be stopped. I am sure God hates want what they do. Why don't they consider that? Or do they just want to spread terror?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Araidia

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 14, 2015, 12:43:35 PM
I absolutely have no words. I feel sorry for the people there and I am afraid as France is so close to Germany. They have to be stopped. I am sure God hates want what they do. Why don't they consider that? Or do they just want to spread terror?
I think they use their god as an excuse to do what they do. But then iirc, I think Islam doesn't want you to harm anyone. It's all just messed up.
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 14, 2015, 10:55:22 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2015, 10:15:56 AM
In France the law prevents the police from doing anything until the criminals act, which means that even a premeditated thing is impossible to counter, in other words there will always be damages. Over here the security is strong, there are controls at the entry of every building including shopping malls, cinemas, train stations, etc.

As for the "refugees", it's not even a problem with what you're quoting, they are blatantly violating the law, and disturb people by doing things like monopolizing multiple seats in trains by lying down on them to sleep. The army is there but they can't do anything.
Then governments need to step up and instate new laws. Or other people need to do their own justice. For example, in Quebec City, if someone used the 801 bus line then did that, you can be assured that other commuters would tell them in their face. Also if refugees tried to instate their own rules then citizens would tell them "You are in Quebec. You are welcome here, but if you don't want to respect our laws and allow us to keep our culture, then go back where you came from".

Quote from: Araidia on November 14, 2015, 02:34:58 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on November 14, 2015, 12:43:35 PM
I think they use their god as an excuse to do what they do. But then iirc, I think Islam doesn't want you to harm anyone. It's all just messed up.
Yeah that's what I think. THey give their religion a bad name.