Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Google starts charging money for cross-location copying on Cloud storage

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 16, 2015, 06:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Hi, could anyone help me decipher what this e-mail means?

QuoteHello Google Cloud Storage User,
Please be advised that, beginning July 14, 2015, Google will begin charging the following fees for Google Cloud Storage:
$0.01 per GB of data transferred between buckets located in different regions of the same continent
Egress rates per GB of data transferred between buckets located on different continents
Until then, you will be able to view your current usage in the billing details for your project in order to help you estimate the impact of these changes on your monthly spend.
For additional information and examples of this billing charge, please visit https://cloud.google.com/storage/pricing#network-regions
-- The Google Cloud Storage Team
Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
You have received this mandatory service announcement to update you about important changes to Google Cloud Platform or your account.

I know it means that Google will start charging money for one of their Cloud storage features, but I am not tech-savy about that stuff and I have a project there that uses OneAll Social Login service to allow people to make an account on CodeWalrus by signing up with Google. Does it mean that I'll now have to pay money in order to offer CodeWalrus members the ability to sign up via Google?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 16, 2015, 06:55:33 PM
Hi, could anyone help me decipher what this e-mail means?

QuoteHello Google Cloud Storage User,
Please be advised that, beginning July 14, 2015, Google will begin charging the following fees for Google Cloud Storage:
$0.01 per GB of data transferred between buckets located in different regions of the same continent
Egress rates per GB of data transferred between buckets located on different continents
Until then, you will be able to view your current usage in the billing details for your project in order to help you estimate the impact of these changes on your monthly spend.
For additional information and examples of this billing charge, please visit https://cloud.google.com/storage/pricing#network-regions
-- The Google Cloud Storage Team
Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
You have received this mandatory service announcement to update you about important changes to Google Cloud Platform or your account.

I know it means that Google will start charging money for one of their Cloud storage features, but I am not tech-savy about that stuff and I have a project there that uses OneAll Social Login service to allow people to make an account on CodeWalrus by signing up with Google. Does it mean that I'll now have to pay money in order to offer CodeWalrus members the ability to sign up via Google?
I think, from what I read from Google itself, the Cloud Platform is for data storage in Google's cloud. Normally Oauth doesn't store data there so you should be fine and I don't think you have to pay anything. Also 1 GB of data only costs one cent so it shouldn't matter anyways.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was more worried about if one day CW got a sudden load of members for whatever reason (eg a big calculator project making Reddit front page). Although it's unlikely that such sign up would max out a gigabyte this fast, we never know if OneAll is optimized or not. Just look at Nspire OSes
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

If you don't understand then I don't think you'll be charged for anything. And I don't think you ever need to transfer data between buckets.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I don't really think that's something we could be worried about. Even though if we actually use that service, I don't really think that CW pumps that much data.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Not CW but rather OneAll. We never know, but I guess I'll go with what you say. If we ever start getting charged money then we can simply disable Google registration