Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Super Mario 84

Started by annoyingcalc, October 08, 2015, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Wow, those screenshots are looking very good! What kind of enemies are those? Hopefully not Koopas... O.O (sorry for the late response, have had some computer problems)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

annoyingcalc

They are koopas Actually, they're goombas. Also, just wondering, does anyone have any tips on how to specify a name to save/load a level from?

Dream of Omnimaga

You should ask this in this topic: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=165.0 (Axe questions)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

Progress is slowly being made. I have sped the program up significantly, but the physics are still pretty pathetic. The biggest slowdown currently is the animation function because it draws animated blocks every program tick. I can't think of any way to speed this up, so I'll have an option to disable animations.

Otherwise, the biggest task left ahead of me is making the physics not suck.

Also, I'm working on adding enemies, items, and tiles. If anyone has any suggestions for physics, I'd be open for help.

(My problem is I can't seem to create a realistic way for mario to move)

Dream of Omnimaga

Can't you animate one tile per frame? Animations will be slower but it won't slow things down as much.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

Good idea. The only problem I can see is that for it to work I'd have transfer the main buffer to the back buffer every time which might take longer than just drawing all of them. I'm going to go check the Axe documentation.

EDIT: It appears that would be much slower.

alexgt

Sorry for not seeing this sooner (I was gone...) but this sounds awesome! I played other Mario games on my 84+ so I hope that you will complete it :) I will definitely try it out ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry to hear Annoyingcalc. As for physics, all you need is acceleration for both walking movement with a maximum speed, as well as for falling down (the value is negative when you jump and slowly increase back to positive when you start moving down)

semiprocoder

Wait, isn't walking just at a constant speed, while jumping has gravity. Well, I guess you could have a walking accell, but mario would have to accel really quickly.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. Mario normally starts walking slowly but reaches max speed fast. I guess he could always ditch acceleration for walking and only worry about jumping physics, since, after all, Super Mario Bros 3 horizontal physics weren't that realistic when mid-air. :P

SiphonicSugar

So, how far into this game do you think you are?

Also, do you know when you might put up a download link?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

annoyingcalc

I'd say that I'm late in development. Progress is slow, but here's my todo:
Fix enemy collision detection
Finish the option to toggle animations (animations are the biggest source of lag, but they also control a few things like when to spawn in items, so I need to make that code independent of animations)
Add more enemies
Add more blocks
Add the ability to specify a name for a custom level
Final bugfixes

Then I'll be done and release it. I'll post screenshots of with/without animations soon if anyone wants it

SiphonicSugar

You have really good side scrolling in this game, I wish that I knew how to do that...  :-|
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: annoyingcalc on November 21, 2015, 07:07:29 PM
I'd say that I'm late in development. Progress is slow, but here's my todo:
Fix enemy collision detection
Finish the option to toggle animations (animations are the biggest source of lag, but they also control a few things like when to spawn in items, so I need to make that code independent of animations)
Add more enemies
Add more blocks
Add the ability to specify a name for a custom level
Final bugfixes

Then I'll be done and release it. I'll post screenshots of with/without animations soon if anyone wants it
How many levels do you have so far by the way? Also have you gotten any luck fixing the speed issues that you had? I'm glad this is still alive :)