Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

AppVar From Another Source Read-Only? [xlibc]

Started by 123outerme, January 10, 2017, 12:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

I've noticed while working with Sorcery of Uvutu, that AppVars not created on-calc are read-only to the calculator. I've figured this out with a save file I use to test easily. Under no circumstances can I save to that AppVar. Is this true? Could it just be my emulator? Is there a way to circumvent this possibly?
Thanks to @DJ Omnimaga for the idea to post.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Have you tried modifying the appvar from xLIBC on-calc? Try with two different appvars that contains the same data, one created directly on-calc and one created on the PC (or sent from the calc to PC then back to the calc)

This seems pretty odd because I never heard of read-only apps before, unless it's a CSE-specific thing or a bug? Someone who got more knowledge on TI-84+CE appvars might have to investigate.

By the way, the HP Prime has a type of variables (not local nor global, but rather program/app-specific) that cannot be edited by anything else than the program it was created with.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 10, 2017, 12:29:53 AM
Have you tried modifying the appvar from xLIBC on-calc? Try with two different appvars that contains the same data, one created directly on-calc and one created on the PC (or sent from the calc to PC then back to the calc)

This seems pretty odd because I never heard of read-only apps before, unless it's a CSE-specific thing or a bug?
I've tried modifying the AppVar on-calc, I can edit it on computer I'm pretty sure. Just to clarify, I mean read-only to the calculator.

Here's the gif of this in action.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

p4nix

Quote from: 123outerme on January 10, 2017, 12:16:58 AM
I've noticed while working with Sorcery of Uvutu, that AppVars not created on-calc are read-only to the calculator. I've figured this out with a save file I use to test easily. Under no circumstances can I save to that AppVar. Is this true? Could it just be my emulator? Is there a way to circumvent this possibly?
Thanks to @DJ Omnimaga for the idea to post.
Honestly, I have no idea about all that TI stuff. However, you could make two similar files (one of them on the computer) and then use a hex editor to find out if there is something like a 'read-only' flag. Or, easier, just search if the file header of your appvar format is already publicly available/reverse-engineered by someone else.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)