Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your favorite chiptune music

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2014, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I think that's NES with maybe soundcard extensions like VRC7 or MMC5.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Now that you mention those chips, I remember one Japanese Famicom (Japanese version of the NES) game that used a special sound chip built into the cartridges to produce even better sound. It's called Lagrange Point:

I don't like those NES drums, though. They sound too much like GXSCC drums. I prefer the classic ones like in Super Mario Bros 1 or Zelda II or the special ones from Journey to Silius.

Talking about Silius, now that's another amazing piece of NES chiptune history. To produce the drums they used the digital channel and for the bass they used the wave channel, which gave SNES-like basslines. :D

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 04, 2014, 05:58:52 AM
Now that you mention those chips, I remember one Japanese Famicom (Japanese version of the NES) game that used a special sound chip built into the cartridges to produce even better sound. It's called Lagrange Point.

That's the Konami VRC7, it adds (IIRC), one square wave and two sawtooth.

novenary

The problem with these chips is that they only work in Famicoms, so if you have a PAL/US NES, you can't enjoy the better audio.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Not even with custom game carts (like NSF players)? D:

novenary

Well iirc they use the extra pins that are present on the Famicom's cart connector but not on the NES. Maybe it's the opposite though, I don't remember.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah IIRC that chip is only on the Japanese console. No wonder why the game never got ported here. I am willing to bet they could have at least tried to make the sound better than normal NES music by processing it via a cartridge sound chip, but it wouldn't have sounded as good.

Also that game was incredibly expensive IIRC compared to other games.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Actually the chip is in the cart, but it need the pins to work in the console. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeha, like Super FX needs the extended pins to work. At least they could have worked on a port like they did on Kid Icarus, originally out on FDS which has a wave channel, while changing a little the music. Same for castlevania III

Keoni29

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 04, 2014, 05:58:52 AM
Talking about Silius, now that's another amazing piece of NES chiptune history. To produce the drums they used the digital channel and for the bass they used the wave channel, which gave SNES-like basslines. :D
Not sure if you meant this: They used the noise and triangle wave to create all of the drum sounds (cymbals, kick, snare) and the bass is on the PCM channel.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what I meant. Basically they kinda swapped both channel uses.

Scipi

Forgot to mention this one, but I love the soundtrack for the Silver Surfer.

The sound seems a bit off in the video, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah, they had this game at the local store a while ago. I should check if they still have a copy. It definitively has epic music and very c64-like.

Scipi

I'd warn you, it's a very difficult game. The music was amazing, but the gameplay was just terribly done.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what I am reading from Youtube comments and some reviews. Back then it seems that a lot of games were difficult only because of flawed gameplay. Maybe they just left gameplay like that on purpose in some games in order to increase game lenght.