Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What GC/Wii Game Should I Get?

Started by 123outerme, December 06, 2015, 11:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 08, 2015, 06:46:24 PM
Regarding Other M, it was a relief for Metroid fans who hate first-person shooters when it was announced, only to disappoint some when they discovered that the game still had first-person view sequences. I also heard that the difficulty was extremely high. Other than that I couldn't see what is really bad about the game.
I've never played it, but based on what I've heard, they tried to base that entire game around (Japanese only I think?) comics where Samus had PTSD because of Ridley killing her parents. The PTSD symptoms, her obedience to her commander dude, and her skin-tight suit made it seem like pandering. Along with that, the narrative was just her talking to nobody about everything going on, and generally just dumped everything on the player.

Also thanks a ton for the suggestions guys! I'll probably only get one game, but if I want to get another, I'll come back and look here. I think I've decided on Wind Waker, because I don't have enough Zelda in my life.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see. I had forgotten that there was something about the story that people disliked. When I was younger I thought that people disliked the game because it was not a FPS, so I was like "WTF go back to Call of Duty dudes" :P

And yeah Windwaker is a good choice. Get Twilight Princess when you have a chance.

By the way, on the GC there is also a Zelda collection that has both NES Zelda games and both versions of Ocarina of Time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

bb010g

Quote from: 123outerme on December 08, 2015, 02:01:53 AM
As for thinking about Melee despite having Project M, PM is a lot less stable, has more characters (so more weird stuff I could encounter), a less defined metagame, and isn't usually streamed in tournaments, due to Nintendo seeming to C&D anyone who does. I want to take my competitive Smash to the next level, or at least get a taste of that, and so that's why I want Melee. Although I'm not sure I want to get it.
3.6 is the final version and thus the meta will only get more advanced. PM is pretty darn stable. If by weird stuff you mean more matchups, then yes. It is streamed in tournaments, go check out TLoc or watch /r/SSBPM. They haven't C&D any tourneys yet, and as far as we can tell, they can't.
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, why would Nintendo send C&D against people streaming Project M in tournaments? It's now illegal to stream fan games?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Nintendo just seems to like losing goodwill.
ceci n'est pas une signature

123outerme

Quote from: bb010g on December 11, 2015, 04:05:31 AM
Quote from: 123outerme on December 08, 2015, 02:01:53 AM
As for thinking about Melee despite having Project M, PM is a lot less stable, has more characters (so more weird stuff I could encounter), a less defined metagame, and isn't usually streamed in tournaments, due to Nintendo seeming to C&D anyone who does. I want to take my competitive Smash to the next level, or at least get a taste of that, and so that's why I want Melee. Although I'm not sure I want to get it.
3.6 is the final version and thus the meta will only get more advanced. PM is pretty darn stable. If by weird stuff you mean more matchups, then yes. It is streamed in tournaments, go check out TLoc or watch /r/SSBPM. They haven't C&D any tourneys yet, and as far as we can tell, they can't.
I said that before 3.6 was cancelled :,( But yeah, the meta will improve. And by weird stuff I mean more quirks in characters, matchups and stages.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 11, 2015, 04:20:51 AM
Wait, why would Nintendo send C&D against people streaming Project M in tournaments? It's now illegal to stream fan games?
Oh ok, now I remember what it was. If you stream Project M, by order of Nintendo to streaming platforms, you can't use the Subscriber function. Meaning, for them to get money, you can only send 3rd party donations with no benefits to you. This cripples a lot of big streamers, and so they aren't willing to take the risk.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see now. It reminds me of the National Hockey League in USA and Canada. If you organize any event such as a viewing party (eg people buying tickets to watch a game on TV in an arena while the team is playing in another city) then the profits have to be given to charity.

Nintendo streaming restrictions are quite demanding, since this means the streamer has no funding at all to pay for bandwidth and cannot monetize his work.