Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Illusiat XI: Reborn

Started by aetios, November 12, 2014, 03:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

Today I set up a git repo for Illusiat XI: Reborn. It's located here: https://github.com/aeTIos/Illusiat-XI/ We decided to license using MIT license, meaning that everyone can use the code for what he wants but has to license under the same terms. I also wrote a small description of the project:
Quote from: README.mdIllusiat XI: Reborn is a remake, or as we like to call it, reinterpretation, of DJ Omnimaga's 2002 BASIC ASCII RPG Illusiat Eleven. This reinterpretation, written using the Axe Parser language will feature revamped maps, improved storyline (with input from the original author) as well as 16x16 4-level grayscale graphics.
So far no code is in the repo, but I did set up dirs for graphics, maps, and code. This thread will be for major project updates as well as beta releases.
Currently I'm working on map and tile creation while Street is supposed to work on the mapping/movement engine. We hope to have something coming end of this week.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

That reminds me, I forgot if this version of the game would use the original enemy levels or the ones from Kin Master Quest? Also I can't wait for screenshots of the new map engine and battles in action :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

The plan was to have both versions and you can choose the difficulty when starting a new game. Since it's just some extra enemy buffs it's pretty easy to do.

pimathbrainiac

Now I have to download Illusiat XI.
* pimathbrainiac adds it to the games to play before the remake comes out list.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 13, 2014, 10:23:36 AM
The plan was to have both versions and you can choose the difficulty when starting a new game. Since it's just some extra enemy buffs it's pretty easy to do.
Cool to hear, and do you plan to re-use the old enemy formulas or will you make each enemy separate data like in Reuben? Re-using old formulas to generate enemies would be smaller I think, but 2-byte integers' 65536 limit might be a problem.

Also, what would be cool is if we could navigate between chapter 2 and 5 as we see fit. I could understand why going back to chapter 1 is impossible because you go down through a river (unless you could move back up via a pathway above the river then jump down a cliff?) but the only reason why the original game didn't let you do so is because it was split in chapters to fit in RAM.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 14, 2014, 01:26:43 AM
but 2-byte integers' 65536 limit might be a problem.

You could write your own 32-bit routines. I think Xeda has some asm ones, so you could ask her about it.
Well, I'm bach here too!

novenary

What Pimath said. At first I wanted to use the TIOS floating point routines but I'll just use Xeda's 24 bit float stuff.

Dream of Omnimaga

It doesn't necessarily have to use decimals, but you would need to check if any formula rely on them before getting rid of them. I think not, in this game, though. You could probably go with 4 bytes integers if you wanted to.

novenary

if 32 bit integers are enough then I'll totally do that. Integer math is much easier to deal with (faster, smaller and easier to implement).

pimathbrainiac

Very true. Have you prodded Xeda about those routines yet?
Well, I'm bach here too!

aetios

Not very much to report on this until street gets around making the toolchain, other than some GitHub struggles yesterday.

pimathbrainiac

Do tell about these GitHub struggles.
Well, I'm bach here too!

aetios

It was mainly a mistake from my side. I renamed some files and then added them to the git and committed. Apparently, GitHub doesn't automatically delete renamed files so I had to manually delete the old files. I didn't know this so I ended up messing up the whole graphics folder. In the end I figured out what I was doing wrong and I corrected my mistake :P

TLDR: don't rename files except with the git tools <_<

pimathbrainiac

hehe. I learned that one the hard way as well. Nice to see everything works, though.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 16, 2014, 12:27:17 PM
if 32 bit integers are enough then I'll totally do that. Integer math is much easier to deal with (faster, smaller and easier to implement).
Hopefully they are. My only concern is about the Trimag spell, especially if your game allows the player to backtrack to previous chapters. You might need to nerf Trimag so that the total damage multiplier resulting from triple elemental weaknesses cannot go above a certain amount or hard-code Boss VIII damage attributes so that it takes 9999 damage against any spell no matter your level. Else you'll need 65536 bits integers or something :P