Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Canceled Stepmania-style SNES RPG called Chiptunes Rocker

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2014, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow, have you ever seen this before?

It was a SNES homebrew RPG in the works in 2007. It's a shame that it was abandoned and never released, because if you look at the graphics and effects it almost looks like a Playstation 1 game. But also the concept is interesting: Battles are basically Dance Dance Revolution/Stepmania sessions where you must mash the right arrows at the right time. If you miss your character takes damage and if you hit the button properly then the enemy takes damage.

I wonder if such game concept could be implemented in another game or even a calc one? Of course a calc game would be more interesting with sound, but still. :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Hmmm, nice find DJ, this battle engine sounds pretty interesting. :) Also wow these graphics. In not a huge fan but it's really impressive for the SNES.

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, another thing that makes it a shame that it was never released is that some of the music during battle is freaking amazing. I wish that the OST was at least available somewhere.

As for the graphics it's basically closer to Final Fantasy VII through IX, as well as Star Ocean First Departure and Second Story/Evolution in the way that they are pre-rendered 3D landscapes that don't look like tilemaps, as well as the 3D effects in battles or in transitions. If the video didn't mention it was a SNES game and didn't use that second last song with F-Zero samples, then it could have been mistaken as a Playstation 1 homebrew.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It's pretty impressive graphically. I wonder much MB that game would have taken when finished...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

IIRC it was really massive. I am not even sure if the guy planned to sell copies on cartridges. It was definitively much larger than Star Ocean because of all the big maps.

TIfanx1999

Wow, that's a really cool looking game. It has great graphics, and the idea for the battle engine was really neat. A shame it got scrapped. :/

unknownloner

Man I would've played the heck out of that game (If I had a SNES that is)

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. I am very bad at rhythm games, especially ones requiring the user to do two actions at a time (eg Guitar Hero), but it would still be interesting to see rhythm games elements incorporated into an RPG.