Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Looking for a new fantasy MMO RPG to play

Started by p2, March 23, 2017, 11:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p2

Hey guys,

I'm currently pretty bored so I've been looking for a nice game to spend some time on.
I'm looking for an MMO RPG, if possible fantasy genre.
But It should have actual fighting like Metin2, not one of those games with the battlescreen and round-based attacks  :ninja:
Or what'S even worse, card games D:

To clarify: I want a col character, run around, punch other random people in pvp, fulfill quests, chat with others, and have a nice time.

sadly Metin2'S graphics is really terrible, so please, can you recommend any? :)

No cheap browser games pls xD

Edit:
I wouldn't care to pay for it as long as it's worth the money.
Also it'd be really cool if it would run on a mac  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

I am not familiar with MMO's but I remember playing Silkroad Online a long time ago. I wonder if it's still around?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

IT looks like it's still there, at least the site is online.
But I need to register before downloading xD
Also the site is sooo old :ninja:
512MB RAM for best settings? Reeeeeally old game xD
But it doesnt even mention which platform it's for (windows I guess) nor give any gameplay videos  (had to look on youtube) ^^

So I guess I'll try it out, even tho it's not exactly what I looked for. (but it looks fun) ^^

@p4nix recommended me Hammerwatch even tho it's not an mmorpg. I have to admit the game looks fun and Im sure u can spend hour on it xD
But it's really not what I was looking for, sorry ^^ Plus I usually dont like paying for anything unless it looks really very promising xD

Edit:
Moonlight Blade looked really awesome, but it'S all korean only... I don't even get the regstration done with translators xD
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Yuki

Last time I played a MMORPG (not counting Legends of Equestria which isn't publicly open yet), it was Onigiri, it looks pretty nice, there's cute stuff and you can run around.

Warning: may contain cute fox girls who may or may not be barely clothed
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

_iPhoenix_

I looked for one but unfortunately, I could not find any decent ones for mac (I would like to try one myself, if it was actually half decent). I guess there aren't as many mac game devs :(.

To all those disappointed mac gamers: Don't worry; you still have me!
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Yuki

Well, if you install Wine, that might work.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

pimathbrainiac

FFXIV is the first one that comes to mind, I really enjoy it (although there is a monthly fee).

Guild Wars 2 always good, and there's a free version now. If you want to upgrade, it's a one time payment instead of a monthly fee, so that's a plus.

And finally, EVE went free to play recently. While I haven't played much, I know a lot of people who have a lot of fun with it. Just make sure you follow the subreddit and find a good corp to join once you're done with the tutorials. I can link you to an anime-related EVE discord server (warning: I'm not active/I only lurk on it, so no one would really know me (also I don't go by pimath on discord)) if you think you'd be interested. There are several corps that have a userbase there.

My personal reccomendation goes to FFXIV if you want a great story/predominately single player experience, GW2 if you don't want to spend money and don't want to talk with strangers about space battles, and EVE if you want to have it consume your life (assuming you like it).
Well, I'm bach here too!

Caleb Hansberry

I've heard good things about Aion - but I wouldn't have had anywhere near enough time to try it myself.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+SE, TI-84+SE, TI-85, TI-89, TI-99/4A
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: HP Portable Plus 110, Toshiba T3100, Toshiba T5200, GRiD 1660, TI-99/4A, Apple IIgs, and much more than I can list here

p2

wine is fine for stuff like AgeOfEmpires, but even there you already have a couple of problems for example with the multiplayer mode and with the GUI (especially input boxes never work) so I won't even try that.
If necessary I'd be fine with installing a windows7 side by side on my macbook (even tho it would suck).

Quote from: Juju on March 23, 2017, 10:17:34 PM
Last time I played a MMORPG (not counting Legends of Equestria which isn't publicly open yet), it was Onigiri, it looks pretty nice, there's cute stuff and you can run around.

Warning: may contain cute fox girls who may or may not be barely clothed
Hehe... Take a look at Scarlet Blade ;)
(Btw before u start playing, keep in mind that it's gonna be shut doen on the end of this month (30.03.2017) because they had ongoing technical problems for 1 year already).
Onogiri itself seems to be windows-only as well, right?

Quote from: Caleb Hansberry on March 24, 2017, 04:46:22 AM
I've heard good things about Aion - but I wouldn't have had anywhere near enough time to try it myself.
I've been playing AION for a pretty long time actually. But I think the gme lacks something to make it special. You play it every day but it has nothing that makes you stick to it and really love it. After half a year of playing you just say "jep I'm bored" and then quit. Something that shouldn'T be possible with a really good mmorpg :/ The game isn't bad, it's just nothing special.

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on March 24, 2017, 04:30:38 AM
FFXIV is the first one that comes to mind, I really enjoy it (although there is a monthly fee).
I've been thining about FinalFantasy14 as well, but as of yet I have no idea what the game is like and how well it runs on my mac ^^ I'll do some research and watch a couple of more gameplay videos on it :)

Guild Wars 2 always good, and there's a free version now. If you want to upgrade, it's a one time payment instead of a monthly fee, so that's a plus.
GuildWars 2 does look promising plus it was released for the mac, which makes it even more interesting for me. I'll definitely give it a try! (and hope it runs on a macOS beta version)
Even tho I have to admit the graphics looks good but not too extraordinary ^^
But holy c the game is 50-100€ depending on which package I get :ninja:

And finally, EVE went free to play recently. While I haven't played much, I know a lot of people who have a lot of fun with it. Just make sure you follow the subreddit and find a good corp to join once you're done with the tutorials. I can link you to an anime-related EVE discord server (warning: I'm not active/I only lurk on it, so no one would really know me (also I don't go by pimath on discord)) if you think you'd be interested. There are several corps that have a userbase there.
I didn't have achance to look at this one yet but I will :)

EDIT:
EVE totally isn't what I was looking for (I was really looking for a game with sords, arrows, boobs, mounts and maybe random ugly monsters) but it still looks AMAZING.
Plus it seems to rum smooth on my mac O.O
But idk if its the right game for me, looks like the controls are really a loooot to learn :ninja:
I was looking for a distraction from all the stuff I currently have to learn with HoloLens and AmazonAlexa right now. So I really hope it won't be too much, else I might quit eve again >.<

Thx for all the recommendations  :thumbsup:

Dream of Omnimaga

My bro plays FFXV and is amazed so far. It's paid subscription-based but if you don't mind that then you could enjoy it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

EVE is kind of a tactical MMO and require at least some strategy to get around with your spaceship and the economy, it's not for everyone, but if you like it, good ^_^ Personally, I played it like 3 times during a 21-day trial someone gave me a few years ago, so yeah, probably not for me, although driving around with a spaceship was kinda fun. Reminds me back in high school (around 2005-2006) when everyone was playing OGame, a browser-based MMO where it takes hours to build ships to attack others, everytime I login to use my ships they were all destroyed already, that and the fact it requires you to be active every 30 days, it was pretty uninteresting. I wonder if it still exists.

EDIT: It still exists. Welp. Although the number of universes peaked around 70, looks like they merged most of them together because people left.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, I think I remember around 2007 that there was a way to make RPG Maker games into MMORPGs. A plugin allowed you to mod the RPG Maker launcher or software to add online capabilities. I dunno if it's outdated for today connectivity standards and if it's safe, though. On top of that it was on a French RPG Maker site that no longer exists since long ago IIRC. Had it been for RM2K3, maybe I could have made Illusiat Online :P

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 25, 2017, 04:49:02 AM
On a side note, I think I remember around 2007 that there was a way to make RPG Maker games into MMORPGs. A plugin allowed you to mod the RPG Maker launcher or software to add online capabilities. I dunno if it's outdated for today connectivity standards and if it's safe, though. On top of that it was on a French RPG Maker site that no longer exists since long ago IIRC. Had it been for RM2K3, maybe I could have made Illusiat Online :P
Yeah, i remember it : it was for RPG Maker XP. It came with a demo running on localhost.
I think it was working using both events and players. It was pretty cool but since i had no internet connection, i couldn't get it to work very far.

And the website... i bet my ass it was Rpgcreative.net
The owner no longer wanted to support the board so he decided to screw over the community and make it his own personal site for his game engine,
much to the dismay of everyone...
Lost of games and posts were lost.

As for MMO games... I don't play MMO RPGs anymore but i do play Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links often.
It's an online multiplayer game where you can fight friends, cpus etc... using cards. There's also a public chat available.
Lately, they started an event where you can unlock Bakura. (i already unlocked him)
It's for Android & iOS but you can play the Android version on Bluestacks or NOX Player.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

p2

@Juju: EVE turned into a free to play model some while ago ;)
The character creation is most impressive and I'd wish for such a good one in many other games ^^ but so far fighting is just boring... click GO NEAR then CIRCLE and then OPEN FIRE and the rest is done automatically. Rather boring even tho the graphics are nice ^^

I guess I have to take a look at final fantasy ^^

I really hope it supports a beta version of macOS, too... For example the WoW launcher didn't >.<

Dream of Omnimaga

@gameblabla oh darn it's for XP... I don't like XP because it's laggy and has less events if you don't write code.