Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nintendo Wii U is now officially discontinued (Jan 31st 2017)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 23, 2016, 04:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalacticPirate

Well, the NX is still supposed to get 4K and 60 fps, as it is confirmed it will receive Sonic Project 2017 and Dragon Quest X/XI. I wonder why people still complain about the NX being in the average of 8th gen gaming consoles. (The PS4 Neo and the Scorpio, or whatever are still mid-8th gen consoles)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

gameblabla

Quote from: STV on August 21, 2016, 07:32:34 PM
Well, the NX is still supposed to get 4K and 60 fps, as it is confirmed it will receive Sonic Project 2017 and Dragon Quest X/XI. I wonder why people still complain about the NX being in the average of 8th gen gaming consoles. (The PS4 Neo and the Scorpio, or whatever are still mid-8th gen consoles)
Perhaps the Tegra can output 4k at 60 FPS (afterall, some sockets from Qualcomm can do it as well) but i doubt it is actually for AAA games.
The PS4 and XBONE even struggle to have decent visuals at 1080p and the NX being a mobile socket, it's doubtful it will be a major improvement over the PS4...
Sony misled people at E3 2013 by saying it supports 4k but they later backtracked saying it's only for videos.
At this point, 4k at 60 FPS is only a marketing stunt.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh talking about performance struggles, I don't understand on new consoles why developers try to push consoles beyond their limits, knowing the frame rate will suffer. When I played older console games, such as on the 360, the frame rate was always constant except maybe a minor lag when an enemy despawns after being killed (which might be a special effect anyway). But I played WWE 2K16 Friday evening and goddamnit the frame rate kept dropping and Star Ocean 5 has the same issue. They should lower the frame rate cap to 30 FPS if they know they're not always gonna make it to 60, or reduce some graphics/effects for far away elements.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 23, 2016, 04:31:10 AM
I don't know how accurate Nikkei newspaper is, but Gamespot just relayed a rumor saying that Nintendo will cease producing the Wii U game console by the end of 2016, even though no details have been given about when the NX console is expected to launch. If this rumor ends up being a reality, then this will mean that the console will have survived just 4 years. Apparently it sold about 13 million units and 70+ million games, which is far lower than the Wii and even though the Gamecube also sold poorly, it still sold more than the Wii U so far.

I think what didn't help the Wii U is that Nintendo insisted to keep the console over $250 years after its release, when they previously discounted consoles heavily shortly after release before. They could have done like the GCN, N64 and Wii U and drop the price under $200 (unless it sells at a loss under that?) and I bet sales would have skyrocketed, especially with Super Smash Bros 4, Mario maker, Mario Kart 8 and stuff.

If it gets discontinued in 2016 then I bet this means the Wii U will never get a new Zelda game that is actually Zelda :(. In any case, I am happy I got that console, though, because I enjoyed all games I got for it and I don't regret my purchase. I wonder if the NX console will have backwards compatibility with Wii and Wii U titles? That's unless that console gets scrapped in favor of porting their Wii U titles to the Xbox One, PS4 or something.

Source: http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLZO98745680T20C16A3TI5000/?dg=1 via http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-year-report-/1100-6435915/
Update on this: http://kotaku.com/wii-u-production-has-officially-ended-for-japan-1791813878

In other words, the Wii U has been discontinued for over 1 month worldwide already. It's over. The final 1st-party title is Zelda: Breath of the Wild, so if any new Wii U game ever comes out, then it will be third-party titles.

There is a list of potential Wii U releases if it's up to date: http://ca.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u?filter=latest

Most of those are virtual console re-releases. If any of the rest receive a physical release, I think they will be released under the radar, as in, most stores won't even carry them, so they might be extremely rare late-gen titles.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Damn, it's almost scary how fast it was discontinued compared due to the 360.
The titles coming after the Wii U's release is also really small.... Even the PS Vita has more titles announced ! (not counting Limited Run games)

Even the Wii got more games after Nintendo stopped making Wii consoles but the Wii U will not...
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, well, you haven't seen how fast the original Xbox was taken down O.O. I think it got discontinued seconds after the 360 came out. Not only that, but it only took 3 years before Xbox Live 1.0 shut down. The Gamecube was discontinued quite fast when the Wii came out too. Both GC and Xbox got new games after being discontinued, but only for about 2 years and all of them were sports games. Since sports games didn't sell on the Wii U, I doubt it will get many.