Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Beta] TwoStep - The challenging puzzle game! [Axe] [TI-8x+]

Started by DarkestEx, January 29, 2015, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

QuoteEDIT: looks like you had one already, so I used that icon. :P
Oh okay. Do you mind when I redesign it, when reaching release state somewhere in the next time?
Also I don't think it matters, but the new branch of TwoStep for Android will be compatible with PC's too ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

Cool! I'll play this on my PC as well when its done.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

With PC compatibility at the horizon, will the Android version still run on somewhat middle-end phones or will it move mainly to higher end phones? Also is there a chance that one day there could be a port for color calcs? :P (Although someone else could do it too. Even in Nspire Lua it would probably be fast enough, same for CE hybrid BASIC (although it uses 8x8 sprites so reusing the Android sprites would be hard)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 07, 2015, 06:21:41 AM
With PC compatibility at the horizon, will the Android version still run on somewhat middle-end phones or will it move mainly to higher end phones?
Well, I don't see why it wouldn't work on lower end phones. It should get along with a minimum of 500 MB Ram total (on the phone, although this is untested and I dunno how much it will be at the end)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 07, 2015, 06:21:41 AMAlso is there a chance that one day there could be a port for color calcs? :P (Although someone else could do it too. Even in Nspire Lua it would probably be fast enough, same for CE hybrid BASIC (although it uses 8x8 sprites so reusing the Android sprites would be hard)
I wouldn't say never. I can (and will) give permission (if somebody is interested) to port the game to another platform. If somebody wants, I can even provide him / her with the resources. But then the person should really PM me about it. And if somebody accidentally drops a rom image of the Nspire in my postbox I wouldn't be unhappy and could try porting it myself (If I have time; I know this is against the rules but I am just sayin ;))
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. I was more wondering about low end phones because people who make computer games will sometimes add more features due to the more powerful platform, so on a phone like the Samsung i5510 (Android 2.2.2, 400 MHz, etc) this results into massive slowdown (if it runs at all).

As for ROM images that stuff better be kept for e-mail. Although we wouldn't know if such stuff gets sent between members, the issue is that PMs are not encrypted and I don't know much power TI could have if they ever suspected us of allowing such file sharing then asked DigitalOcean to monitor our site data or something then CodeWalrus could get in trouble. >.<

I myself don't really have any anyway since I never figured out how to setup Nspire Emu/KarmTI myself for emulation >.< (it's more complicated than using jsTIfied or any other TI-83+ emulator)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 07, 2015, 06:54:38 AM
Aah ok. I was more wondering about low end phones because people who make computer games will sometimes add more features due to the more powerful platform, so on a phone like the Samsung i5510 (Android 2.2.2, 400 MHz, etc) this results into massive slowdown (if it runs at all).
I want to make the game efficiently. But I will set the minimum android version to 3.x. If you need a specially compiled version (for a version below 3.x) you can contact me and I remove some features and compile it for 2.2.2. For the hardware, I dunno. I haven't really written any android games in java before so I can only assume. But I think it should work.

As for ROM images that stuff better be kept for e-mail. Although we wouldn't know if such stuff gets sent between members, the issue is that PMs are not encrypted and I don't know much power TI could have if they ever suspected us of allowing such file sharing then asked DigitalOcean to monitor our site data or something then CodeWalrus could get in trouble. >.<
Yeah, I know. But if anybody wants to contact me, you can do it here: muessigb[at]yahoo.de
It is not my main e-mail, but non-spam mails get redirected to my main address automatically.

I myself don't really have any anyway since I never figured out how to setup Nspire Emu/KarmTI myself for emulation >.< (it's more complicated than using jsTIfied or any other TI-83+ emulator)
I havent used any calculator emulator, except WabbitEmu and jsTisfied (TI84). Well, if somebody has a way to do it or knows a good emulator for a color platform, let me know.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 07, 2015, 09:40:03 AM
How are you making the Android app btw (OpenGL ? :P)
Well, I wanted to make it with libGdx, but if you know anything better or easier, please let me know.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on April 07, 2015, 09:12:54 AM
I want to make the game efficiently. But I will set the minimum android version to 3.x. If you need a specially compiled version (for a version below 3.x) you can contact me and I remove some features and compile it for 2.2.2. For the hardware, I dunno. I haven't really written any android games in java before so I can only assume. But I think it should work.

Yeah, I know. But if anybody wants to contact me, you can do it here: muessigb[at]yahoo.de
It is not my main e-mail, but non-spam mails get redirected to my main address automatically.

I havent used any calculator emulator, except WabbitEmu and jsTisfied (TI84). Well, if somebody has a way to do it or knows a good emulator for a color platform, let me know.
KarmTI and NspireEmu are the only Nspire emus around. It's more the way TI made the calcs that makes them a bit trickier to emulate, though. For Z80 calcs, the only color emulators available are jsTIfied and WabbitEmu. Another issue with Nspire emulation is how as soon as a new game comes out it uses the latest Ndless build, so you have to update your emulator to run the latest version of Ndless and stuff, which can be a major hassle if you don't remember how to do it by heart.

That said, if you were to do a color version of the game for calcs, I would probably go with the 84+CSE or CE, though, since they seem to be the most popular for games lately.

Lionel Debroux

QuoteFor Z80 calcs, the only color emulators available are jsTIfied and WabbitEmu
There's also TilEm, which got some 84+CSE support long before WabbitEmu did :)
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Dream of Omnimaga

I get an error about unsupported format when sending CSE ROMs to TilEm O.O

DarkestEx

Well if I should *try* it, somebody needs to either mail me a ROM of the calc or send me a real, physical one ;)

DarkestEx

I found some time during school breaks to work some more on the real, original TwoStep Editor.
It will be graphical (no compiler anymore) and it is pretty far already.
Hopefully you will be soon able to make your own levels :)

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX