Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

A Slender series for the 83+/84+

Started by ACagliano, September 30, 2015, 08:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACagliano

Coming soon to a calculator near you, and based on the hit horror series, I have decided to create a three-part original Slender series. Most elements of gameplay will emulate that of other PC Slender games, but the storyline and mechanics will slightly differ. I don't want to give too much away. As of now, a lot of the game is programmed, with the exception of raycasting, frame-drawing, and creating a map. I also want to improve the AI.

I do have a private repository dedicated to the project for anyone who wants to contribute or help, but there isn't too much left to do. Mainly spritework. Anyone interested can comment or PM.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ CE

SiphonicSugar

Whoa! Is this going to be one of those games like Doom?
Or is it going to being something else?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

ACagliano

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on September 30, 2015, 08:34:32 PM
Whoa! Is this going to be one of those games like Doom?
Or is it going to being something else?

This gameplay is going to emulate the original Slender: The Eight Pages, with the page collection/static effect when you look at him. It will be a 3-D world, created with a 2-D map and a raycaster. However, instead of simply ending when you complete the objective(s) in the game, there will be an ending that gives a clue as to the next game and the final resolution.

Also, as an aside, I won't detail this, but the last game in the series will be unbeatable without the series save file present in the beginning. The data collected in the first two will be used to create a custom objective that you will need to complete in order to beat it.

semiprocoder

Woah thats cool. Do you have any screenshots yet so I could see what it looks like. Also is it greyscale, or just black and white(well, green).
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

ACagliano

No screenshots yet, as the raycaster/framing engine was the last to be worked on and I have no sprites yet. And it is in 4-level greyscale.

Dream of Omnimaga

I remember this project from a few years ago and was sad that it was never completed. I am curious about how fast the engine can run, especially since you use grayscale? Also what do you plan to use as an alternative to sound to let the player know when slender man is approaching, since most people won't buy the adapter nor connect headphones to their calcs? I am looking forward for this :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ACagliano

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 03, 2015, 04:02:53 AM
I remember this project from a few years ago and was sad that it was never completed. I am curious about how fast the engine can run, especially since you use grayscale? Also what do you plan to use as an alternative to sound to let the player know when slender man is approaching, since most people won't buy the adapter nor connect headphones to their calcs? I am looking forward for this :)

It's not a few years old. Maybe half a year :p Right?? And not sure. That remains to be seen. As for game mechanics, its just the static. There is front buffer, back buffer, and dual buffer static. Static on the light buffer means he's farthest (8 units away), static on the dark buffer means he's closer (6 units away), and static on both means he's on you (4 units away). At either 1 or 2 units away, you are caught.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, didn't this project start back in 2010 with Star Trek when you joined Omnimaga? ???

And thanks for explaining :) This sounds like a good idea and I can't wait to see it in action :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ACagliano

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 05, 2015, 06:37:08 AM
Wait, didn't this project start back in 2010 with Star Trek when you joined Omnimaga? ???

And thanks for explaining :) This sounds like a good idea and I can't wait to see it in action :walrii:
No this is a fairly recent project I started. haha. I didn't even know what Slender was before like a year ago. And thanks. Should be soon.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok, I guess I confused the project with another.

c4ooo

I think you are comfusing this with the slender on clrhome.org :P

Anyways, good luck with the project, i feel that there are to few 3D games  ;)

SiphonicSugar

I've always wanted to play a good 3D game... especially since Gemeni hasn't worked...
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad

ACagliano

@c4ooo  Hush lol. It's the same one, but it wasn't up *that* long. lol
@c4ooo and @SiphonicSugar  Yea, well it's gonna be done soon. One or two small routines, sprites and map, then a first compile. :)

SiphonicSugar

ACagliano

Goto http://clrhome.org/slender, hit the Beta Test tab, read it and use the link :p

Edit: Page now equipped with a progress bar.