Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Walriimon [PC][Godot]

Started by Scipi, January 21, 2016, 02:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipi

Quote from: Araidia on January 29, 2016, 05:09:50 PM
Would EVs and IVs be included? I mean to say, how in-depth will Walriimon be?

EVs and IVs are unlikely, partly because I don't know a whole lot about them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: Scipi on January 29, 2016, 11:56:36 PM

EVs are dynamic versions of stat boosts at level up, and IVs are stat boosts at level up that are set. At least that's how I understand it.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Scipi

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on January 30, 2016, 12:09:59 AM
Quote from: Scipi on January 29, 2016, 11:56:36 PM

EVs are dynamic versions of stat boosts at level up, and IVs are stat boosts at level up that are set. At least that's how I understand it.

I'll probably have something like that later on. My plan is to use this as a testbed for a larger game, so I have some ideas for organic growth of stats.

novenary

If I recall correctly, you gain EV by KOing pokemon (each species has its own bonus yield), while IVs are indeed tied to the level. It is possible to manipulate the EVs of a pokemon, check out bulbapedia, it has all the info you need if you want to remain faithful, otherwise I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

JoeYoung

People like to talk about EVs and IVs because they are an important component of minmaxing in the competitive scene, and as a series Pokemon has used it for all their main games. It makes them feel smart, but they're only scratching the surface of the meta.

It doesn't make sense to adopt those details for a game with completely different mechanics from Pokemon. If Aradia had read the topic post, I don't understand why he would ask for something so silly.

novenary

Well, it still doesn't hurt to ask. I forgot the context myself but in the end it's Scipi's call to choose where he's going with this. :)

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: JoeYoung on January 30, 2016, 08:20:41 PM
It doesn't make sense to adopt those details for a game with completely different mechanics from Pokemon. If Aradia had read the topic post, I don't understand why he would ask for something so silly.

The thing is IVs are not new to JRPGs (even in this style (although they are called different things)). In Fire Emblem Awakening, for example, there is an asset (or boosted) stat and a flaw (a stunted stat) for each character.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 30, 2016, 08:46:51 PM
Well, it still doesn't hurt to ask. I forgot the context myself but in the end it's Scipi's call to choose where he's going with this. :)
Yeah I agree, especially that just because the mechanics of Walriimon will be different doesn't mean they will necessarily be much different. That said, Pokémon clones are large projects, so I recommend starting with something not too complicated, then expand later with more features.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 30, 2016, 08:05:33 PM
If I recall correctly, you gain EV by KOing pokemon (each species has its own bonus yield), while IVs are indeed tied to the level. It is possible to manipulate the EVs of a pokemon, check out bulbapedia, it has all the info you need if you want to remain faithful, otherwise I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Right now I'm thinking something like having natural IVs for each Walrii and include something like EVs based on how you use them. That way, your team naturally builds around your playstyle. So, say, if use use one as a tank/defensive unit, they'll naturally get better defense and more hitpoints. I might even apply this to moves themselves, so the more a Walrii uses a particular move, it gains mastery over it and will do more damage/have a more potent effect.

Eventually I want to do a swap of sprites and maps to turn this into a full fledged game that I could put out on steam or the like. My main plan with that is to have very organic growth and hindrances of your creatures in order to cultivate the same kind of connection you grow with your pokemon during a nuzlocke run.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 30, 2016, 09:11:11 PMThat said, Pokémon clones are large projects, so I recommend starting with something not too complicated, then expand later with more features.

That's the plan. :) Luckily, I'm working with Lua, so adding new features is pretty fast and easy. For instance, everything I have so far was implemented within about a week of coding. I just have to be careful not to turn anything into spaghetti-code.

pimathbrainiac

All this talks of EVs and IVs makes me think: maybe multiplayer would be a cool idea a la duelyst, but without the card/RNG aspect.
I dunno, just an idea :P
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, if you include the walrus Zergling in the game, then I think there should be a Starcraft reference, such as the walrus trying to summon a larger army of himself, only to realize "Darn, not enough underlings. If only they spawned more overlords... Let's six-pool then!" and then you need to fight 6 of them in order to capture one. :P

Perhaps there could be other popular references, such as with the Bart Simpson, Darth Vader, and you could have Walriichu so that is has voice and speak like Pikachu but says Walriichu instead :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on January 31, 2016, 07:00:21 AM
All this talks of EVs and IVs makes me think: maybe multiplayer would be a cool idea a la duelyst, but without the card/RNG aspect.
I dunno, just an idea :P
You mean something like PokeMMO?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Scipi

Got a new video up showing progress so far in Walriimon:

I'm also doing dev streams every couple nights on beam.pro and twitch.tv if you want to watch/chat.

Dudeman313

Cool! What exactly is the char. sprite?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Scipi

The char sprite is a small little Taokaka sprite I made for testing purposes :3