Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Photoshop Oil Paint Filter

Started by VMike, November 07, 2017, 04:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VMike

Hello again!
About a year ago we had a topic about Waifu2x in real time. Now I am wondering if someone is interested in something that is probably way easier. And this will be good for those who likes the look of Waifu2x. These images are made from Retroarch shaders in real time then extra filtered with Photoshops Oil Paint filter. So I wonder if someone has the code for the oil paint filter or could make it? It would then be quite easy to port to Retroarch.

Yuki

Oooh, that would be nice. Photoshop is sadly proprietary software, but GIMP, its open source equivalent, might have a similar filter, you should be able to look at its code if it's the case.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

VMike

Yeah.. the problem is that it needa to be exactly lile the Photoshop one to get the same quality in real time while gaming.

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. I wish such tool was available for GIMP, since with Photoshop you either pay hundreds of bucks to get a copy or you give your computer a STI.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Oilify or GIMPressionist would probably be your best bet, not sure if it would work in real time, though.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, in my case real time would not be needed, but of course that would rule ^^
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah that's what he wants to do basically, implement a Photoshop or GIMP plug-in into a game shader for an emulation software. So yeah, the plugin would have to be fast enough to filter each frame in less than 1/60 of a second.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on November 08, 2017, 12:27:15 AM
Yeah that's what he wants to do basically, implement a Photoshop or GIMP plug-in into a game shader for an emulation software. So yeah, the plugin would have to be fast enough to filter each frame in less than 1/60 of a second.
Yeah, that's what I figured, although I was more wondering if the filter was Photoshop-only or not.

ben_g

There are already a few implementations of oil painting effects in GLSL (example). Maybe you could start from one of them?