Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Transferring games from Ti-84 Plus CE to Ti-84 plus (Smash Open from Ti-Wizard)

Started by xMarminq_, October 29, 2016, 03:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xMarminq_

I have a problem. Well two actually. I have my CE at home where I have access to internet and stuff, and the Ti-84 Plus is at my school. I have a transfer cord (Micro USB to Micro USB). I wanted to transfer this game from Ti-Wizard that is a star-fox smash game, for the Ti-84 Plus. There is a file in the game that ends in .8xk, that doesn't want to be transferred (My guess is that it is grayscale for sprites or whatever). So I downloaded TiCoder to get it to go in, which worked somehow. So when I went to school to get the transfer done, I noticed that a file was WAY to big to transfer, over 12k ram the calculater had! (File name: Smash-signed.8xk, if you want to download it and see for yourself.) Is there a way to compact that file in any way so I have the transfer to my calc AND have enough space for th Ti-84 Plus?

Sincerely,
A scrub who doesn't know how to do things.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Dream of Omnimaga

8xk files are known as Flash apps and they cannot be loaded on a color calculator. Only the TI-83+/84+ can accept them. If you were trying to transfer the app directly to your 84+ without passing through your CE first then I am surprised it wouldn't work, so you might want to try a different version of the game (I think it's on Omnimaga. Correct me if I'm wrong @Hayleia ). Otherwise, if you were trying to send the game to your CE using your computer then to your 84+ using a link cable then the  initial transfer done by TI-Coder most likely corrupted the file since it was kinda done by force. 8xk files are not supposed to land in RAM, since they're always archived normally.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

xMarminq_

How about compacting the file?
Should i use a usb stick for the data and use a cable to connect the two to transfer?

Dream of Omnimaga

You can't compress calculator files for transfers. The only way you can do it is with Ion and MirageOS games, which can be compressed for use with CrunchyOS.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

xMarminq_

So the game that is 12k ram over budget is impossible to transfer into a calc it was made to go into?
If i had a Ti-84 plus with me now, could i transfer it to it?

Hayleia

Also, you're not concerned since your calculator is not compatible, but at least for the other ones who may read this post: do not download from TI Wizard. The file is outdated (proof: it is still called "Star Fox"). Download from TI Planet, the only file I kept up to date. That's exactly the reason why I never uploaded it to other sites, to not have problems with outdated files (in case I forget something), but then someone decided to upload it there...

xMarminq_

Will you develop Smash for the CE?
Will it not corrupt, as DJ Omnimaga said? Will it fit? If not, a way to make the memory increase?

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Hayleia on October 29, 2016, 07:10:08 PM
Also, you're not concerned since your calculator is not compatible, but at least for the other ones who may read this post: do not download from TI Wizard. The file is outdated (proof: it is still called "Star Fox"). Download from TI Planet, the only file I kept up to date. That's exactly the reason why I never uploaded it to other sites, to not have problems with outdated files (in case I forget something), but then someone decided to upload it there...
YEah there was a topic on OMni complaining about those sites because on CalculatorTI, many calc games were re-uploaded without proper attribution. TI-Wizard at least mentioned author names and since French sites always used that method of file addition then that site got a pass, but it can be annoying if the author can't keep the files up to date.

Super Smash Bros Open should run fine on your TI-84 Plus, as long as it's not a TI-84 Plus-T. But it will not run on the CE and Hayleia has no plan to port it, IIRC, since Axe is not available for color calcs.

Hayleia

Indeed, at least they give credits, so it's not that annoying for finished games, but SSBO isn't finished -.-

And indeed, I have no plans to port it to the CE right now. Because if I did, it would be in C, but C isn't as funny as Axe (which is not available on the CE) and isn't as convenient as C++ (which is not available on the CE), so I would probably not enjoy doing it.

Dream of Omnimaga

E37

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 30, 2016, 02:11:43 PM
I am curious if ICE will end up being easy to learn for Axe users
I hope so! (I am secretly hoping that Ice winds up being a port of Axe)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

Dream of Omnimaga

It won't be, since it has a different focus, judging by how most new commands are math or text-related.  But if it looks at least similar then it will probably be easier to convince people to try it