Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI-Nspire OS 4.2 released

Started by Yuki, February 16, 2016, 05:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriweb

Probably, but for now it's not updated yet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the two links Adriweb :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

The guidebook is giving some examples to use the new send/get commands, with a mysterious USB interface device for now :

- read the state of a green LED :
Send "READ GREEN 1"
Get green1

or
Get "READ GREEN 1", green1

- Turn on a green LED for 0.5sec before turning it off :
Send "SET GREEN 1 ON"
Wait 0.5
Send "SET GREEN 1 OFF"

So the new device seems to be something relatively complex, as being able to understand some kind of a script language. ;)

Source : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197089#p197089

Dream of Omnimaga

Can they be used to send files between two calculators?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

I don't. We would first need to discover what's the new USB device by TI.

For example, here's the never heard of TI-Nspire DataTracker cradle which has just been discovered and adds 3 USB ports to the TI-Nspire :

Source : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17966&p=197095#p197095

alexgt

Well, this sucks... it sounds like the new  commands would be cool for Basic programmers, not that really anyone uses Nspire BASIC :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

critor

Who said it didn't work in Lua ? ;)

semiprocoder

Quote from: critor on February 17, 2016, 08:03:00 AM
I don't. We would first need to discover what's the new USB device by TI.

For example, here's the never heard of TI-Nspire DataTracker cradle which has just been discovered and adds 3 USB ports to the TI-Nspire :

Source : https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17966&p=197095#p197095

Would anyone actually buy this though? Cause it seems really obscure and expensive.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

GalacticPirate

Actually this is old and discontinued  O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

aetios

Darn that looks pretty cool. Inb4 they release a ps3 controller adapter :trollface:
ceci n'est pas une signature

Adriweb

Nspire-Lua API 4.2 Documentation/Guidebook

The ASI ("Asynchronous Serial Interface") things are more exciting than I thought - it looks like it allows to talk to any serial device correctly communicating with the Nspire/computer :)

So yeah, any board, Arduino etc. will work.

Woohoo ! Thanks TI for listening :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

Dream of Omnimaga

On an off-topic note, contrats @critor for the ticalc.org news position.  I think the community will benefit a lot from this, since you know so much about new calculators and releases O.O

Also nice discovery Adriweb :D. I wonder if this means that the Nspire CX is now more open? (even if not Ndlessable yet)

Lionel Debroux

We'll see what their serial device interface is precisely. There's a standard USB class which can be used for serial communications (CDC), but the usual USB serial chips (FTDI-232, CP210x, PL2303, etc.) use vendor-specific class.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

semiprocoder

Are there any pictures of it being connected to an arduino?
How would you hook it up and are there any pinouts for the serial port to show which pins can be used for serial and which ones shouldnt be touched?
Noob questions and I know they havent been answered yet, but when an answer comes that would be great.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Adriweb

Regarding the new OS 4.2 Nspire-Lua APIs mentioned in the updated documentation, mainly the ASI (Asynchronous Serial Interface), I've hooked up an Arduino Uno to my computer and quickly wrote a script on TINCS using those APIs to interact with it a bit, and anyway, it works:

Jim Bauwens' tests show that the handheld isn't as happy, though (but doesn't blatantly say that the plugged in peripheral isn't compatible either, as it's been the cases before...), so we'll know more about compatibility during the T3 conference...