Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Building an arcade cabinet

Started by Yuki, May 15, 2017, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

mmm smart
this project has got me thinking about my lattepanda and the lakka os that is currently on it... I kinda want to make it more portable now, maybr buy a 12" screen or something :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

p2

how about the power supply? If you added a mobile one like a car battery you could pwalk through the streets with it, sit down in the park, and start playing ;D
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

Quote from: Unicorn on May 30, 2017, 07:37:28 AM
mmm smart
this project has got me thinking about my lattepanda and the lakka os that is currently on it... I kinda want to make it more portable now, maybr buy a 12" screen or something :P
Isn't that thing like the Raspberry Pi but with a x86? You might want to do some sort of portable Steam Machine if it's powerful enough to run some games on it.

Quote from: p2 on May 30, 2017, 08:13:19 AM
how about the power supply? If you added a mobile one like a car battery you could pwalk through the streets with it, sit down in the park, and start playing ;D
That might work. The screen runs on a standard 120V, but the Raspberry Pi, while being sufficiant on 5V, might need at least 2.5A to run at least correctly. Anything less and some components like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth might stop working. On that note, I should check for a proper 2.5A power supply, I only have a 2.1A one and I had to run an Ethernet cable so it could access my ROM collection over the network.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Unicorn

Quote from: Juju on May 31, 2017, 05:36:36 AM
Quote from: Unicorn on May 30, 2017, 07:37:28 AM
mmm smart
Isn't that thing like the Raspberry Pi but with a x86? You might want to do some sort of portable Steam Machine if it's powerful enough to run some games on it.
Woah that soudns amazing... cool idea :P

But yeah a 64 bit 4gb pi sized computer
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

Voted for this in the poll cause i appreciate the effort of making the wooden box to hold the raspberry-pi  :thumbsup:

Yuki

Necroupdate: It now fits snuggly on a corner of my desk, I upgraded the CPU to some 64-bit Pentium dualcore 1.8 GHz I found in the trash one time and it runs directly on RetroArch. Next, should probably change the buttons to better ones (with lights?) and add/print some decals so it looks prettier. Also, optimize the software, of course.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

And repair it since you said it's broken now? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

That's what I say, I gotta buy new buttons.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Yuki

Update: Upgraded to slightly better computer that used to run Windows Vista, installed Arch Linux instead with EmulationStation (kinda looks like a RetroPie, I didn't use their setup script but for all intents and purpose it's pretty much more or less the same as RetroPie but with custom scripts), a bunch of libretro cores, other goodies and a ton of games that runs well at 60 fps. It can also run Steam, but the Big Picture mode is insanely laggy, probably need a better graphics card. Oh, and the buttons are gone for the time being, so I'm just using a SNES controller instead.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

gameblabla

Good thing you switched to Arch Linux. (i would have preferred something like devuan/void linux but it's still better than Vista)
I heard that Lakka runs faster due to it running in KMS mode instead, you might want to give it a try.
Perhaps that could solve your issue with the big screen mode.

At some point, i was attempting to make an arcade thing using Big Attract as the frontend instead but the dude (who built the arcade) never came towards me again....
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

Yeah, I installed and configured each thing separately and manually (EmulationStation, RetroArch, I even installed Plymouth for a swell startup screen :P), everything runs in KMS mode, early KMS is enabled and it runs as fast as it can. I tried Void at one point, RetroArch isn't running well in x64-musl for some reason but eh, I still prefer Arch.

Additionally, @xlibman bought a new graphic card and we put the old one in the arcade (an NVIDIA GT 710), even if it's a low-end card it really makes a big difference with the Intel integrated graphics, everything runs at 60 FPS and everyone is happy. Only problem is that the proprietary NVIDIA driver doesn't play well with KMS, but the open-source nouveau driver does the job well.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Yuki

Bit of an update: bought a wireless adapter for Xbox 360 controllers, now I have enough buttons to run Nintendo 64 games (also any other thing that requires more buttons than a SNES controller have) at native resolution, which is way higher resolution than the N64 hardware allowed for. Which is pretty cool. Also improved how I can launch Steam games individually from EmulationStation, cause it somehow hated the SNES controller, but it plays totally fine now that I have a Xbox 360 controller plugged in.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN