Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

UniChat!

Started by _iPhoenix_, November 12, 2017, 11:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_iPhoenix_

Site is here!
Today, (As I am posting this) I created a free, simple, and open solution to a problem exactly none of us have. I created what is essentially an IRC chatroom, but crappier!

Introducing UniChat, which is a bare-bones, embarrassingly simple chatroom!

Utilizing Google's powerful Firebase platform, it is a place where you can communicate with the other users, which has peaked at 5 (yay, much many users)!

Not only is it a great messaging tool, but I am using it to create a bounty of anonymized, secure data that my machine-learning algorithms can learn human behaviour from!

It is also in active development, with new features arriving every day! (keep in mind that I came up with the idea ~8 hours ago as I am posting this)

Planned features: (starting at -2 because I was too lazy to go back and change the numbers as I came up with new ideas)
-2) OMFG CSS
-1) Username-from-cookie detection (so you don't have to keep typing the same username every time you reload the page)
0) Message submission with pressing the Enter key.
1) highlights and @mentioning
2) URL detection and creation
3) pm's and /me
4) private chatrooms (maybe)
5) ???

Current features:
1) Working message storage.
2) Usernames
3) Automagic pseudorandom default username creator thing
4) Unlimited message length (intentional abuse = limited message length, and/or ban from service. Potentially worse punishments will be added, if I can come up with new punishments :/)
5) Amazing, CSS-less layout.

Please do not use severely profane words (i.e. worse than ccrraapp) on UniChat.

I am also looking for more adjectives and nouns for the automagic pseudorandom default username creator thing (you can type lists of them into the service, I can check the logs if you want)
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Dream of Omnimaga

By CSS, do you mean each message will have custom CSS? :P Also I hope HTML isn't parsed ,in messages (eg embedded rickrolls)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

<double post because of huge update>

I added /pm <user> <message>, which basically sends them a message that only they can see.

/me <action> was also added by popular request, and I quite like it.

Certain bugs were squashed, more CSS was added, and I rounded out some of the database glitches. (ooh they were nasty, thank goodness this was when nobody was online)

UniAdmins (currently only me) can also do /you, which is basically /.me but acts as if someone else was using it. It's hilarious.

Your username is remembered when the page loads, and you can press enter to submit messages!!!

More suggestions are welcomed. You can use /pm _iPhoenix_ <suggestion> on there, or just post 'em up here! Thanks!

(And all characters are escaped, so any html is rendered as text, without being executed. Same goes for JS)

Evolution of my avatar:

Ranman

• Calculators owned: TI-89 HW1, TI-92+, Casio 9860G Slim, Casio fx6300, Tandy PC7
Ranman
Bringing Randy Glover's Jumpman to the TI-89 calculator. Download available at Ticalc.

Unicorn

It looks pretty nice, though your container things could use some padding, and it appears you have to click the submit button twice? (give that some css as well ;) )
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Will the chat remain permanently logged?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: Unicorn on November 14, 2017, 04:18:50 AM
It looks pretty nice, though your container things could use some padding, and it appears you have to click the submit button twice? (give that some css as well ;) )

On mobile, you have to click once to see the non-existent tooltip, then again to click the button. IIRC this is an IOS thing.

Quote from: xlibman on November 14, 2017, 04:45:54 AM
Will the chat remain permanently logged?

Nope! Users can only see the last 10 messages! (Reload the page)

In the DB I have semi-permanent records, but I anonymize them, download them, and delete their online versions to save space.

UniChat users have typed nearly 3 megabytes of just text, which is quite a lot, if you think about it.

Evolution of my avatar:

Unicorn

Check this out:

(You can't see the cursor, but I'm clicking on the button)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: Unicorn on November 14, 2017, 04:40:55 PM
Check this out:

I'll look in to that ;)

Evolution of my avatar:

_iPhoenix_

Chat rooms are a thing!

Currently we have 3, but, I can add new ones with literally one click.

Post your SFW ideas in the "Meta" chatroom!

Evolution of my avatar:

Ranman

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on November 14, 2017, 08:06:34 PM
Check this out:

I'll look in to that ;)

Don't say "hellop".  Maybe it is posting it blindly.... followed by some censorship algorithm that detects "hell" and removes the post.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89 HW1, TI-92+, Casio 9860G Slim, Casio fx6300, Tandy PC7
Ranman
Bringing Randy Glover's Jumpman to the TI-89 calculator. Download available at Ticalc.

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: Ranman on November 16, 2017, 08:37:42 AM
Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on November 14, 2017, 08:06:34 PM
Check this out:

I'll look in to that ;)

Don't say "hellop".  Maybe it is posting it blindly.... followed by some censorship algorithm that detects "hell" and removes the post.

psst... there are no censorship algorithms, besides me looking through the DB and banning users who break rules :P

GREAT NEWS!

The UniChat dev team (*cough* mostly me, besides like 8 lines of code *cough*) has been hard at work implementing tags, highlights, new CSS features, and more!

You can optionally tag your messages with one of the pre-generated (you can suggest more) tags, and, even better, sort the flood of new messages (at least, I hope it will be a flood), with the filter tags!

You can have more than one tag per message, and you can filter more than one tag!

PM's, however, bypass this, and you will see them no matter how you are filtering!

You are highlighted if someone says your name, and you are able to see your message. (if you are highlighted, and you have a filter that does not match their message, then their highlight will not be shown)

Additionally, if you are PM'd, you are also highlighted.

Unfortunately, I haven't implemented any kind of alert (it's really easy, it will take me like 20 seconds), so you will have to check back every few minutes. :/ (I'll probably do some form of audio alert, like a ding, or similar to a SAX highlight, where it changes the title)

Every other message is a different color, for ease of use, and hours are in 12-hour format instead of 24-hour format.

There is also a "<user> entered the room" message. The output thingie is also a bit wider.

As per TLM's suggestion, when an invalid message is typed, the input bar's border flashes red.

Of course, I will be implementing SM84CE's ~bot thingies ASAP <3

Evolution of my avatar:

Dream of Omnimaga

For alerts, it could be a Chrome or other browser notification maybe.

_iPhoenix_

Quote from: xlibman on November 19, 2017, 01:40:41 PM
For alerts, it could be a Chrome or other browser notification maybe.

Yeah!

Evolution of my avatar:

_iPhoenix_

Development for UniChat has stopped semi-permanently, due to a project that I think is better (and you will too, trust me on this one)

The service, however, will stay up indefinitely! I will still be using it, but no questions about this project will be answered.

Evolution of my avatar: