Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

An Idea.... Legend of Zelda: Dark Link's Quest on CE?

Started by Dudeman313, February 06, 2016, 08:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks. My next step would be to make new Zelda-style dungeon wall tiles and redo parts of the map with them. I also need to add extra tiles for roofs. Ideally the best would be to stay under 128 tiles, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Then I need to use an extra 8192 bytes large sprite sheet. Granted, I would need a 2nd one anyway for the title screen logo and large boss sprites, but I would rather keep it for that stuff, because if I started using it for dungeon sprites then I would run out of 8x8 sprite spaces.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

SiphonicSugar

I've decided to be annoying and break the pattern that you guys have going here.  But anyway, this seems like a very cool idea... I just wished that I could get the time to play the original game...
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dudeman313

I wish I had had more patience to send the entire game to my calculator when I had a TI-84+.
The answer is "Sure."

SiphonicSugar

You know, I didn't even know that @DJ Omnimaga made the game... Until like a week ago...
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah it takes longer to send the game to a calculator than beating it. :P That's why I'm glad we now have better ASM libs >.<

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't think it's even possible at all to send the game using TI-Connect CE, because it ungroups 8xg files prior sending. I believe I made the game work around that issue during install, but I could be wrong. People might still have issues sending it. For optimal transfer you need TI-Graph Link and VirtualBox.

Dudeman313

Well, if a remake happened, I'm sure this wouldn't  be too much of an issue, with the CE supporting pics and the possibility of recreating it in ez80 or C, but I guess it could always be done like the original, with groups.

Funny, when I sent PHASM's files to my CE with TI-Connect CE, it didn't ungroup them.
Also, even though TI-Connect is slower than the newer one, it will still send things TICCE says are invalid, but since it was not upgraded but "replaced" when the CE was released, it cannot send pictures, because it thinks CEs are 84+ SEs and counts images as an "Invalid type."

So, if you are doing the remake, will it be basic, xlibc(*complains that xlibce is not complete*), C, or ez80? :walrii:
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

It would be xLIBC. If I ever make a pure BASIC Zelda for the CE then it would probably be an entirely different game (I started one a few years ago so I could probably re-use that engine, but I doubt it will happen)

EDIT: off-topic, wow so far only people with walrus avatars replied to this topic... O.O

aetios

Combo breaker! I'd like to see a Zelda  spin-off on the CE, that'd be great :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

That's exactly why I started a thread for it. I don't know if it will happen, tho. Only mockups for now. Maybe @DJ Omnimaga could make it using Mandragore's engine. I don't think I'd be too hard to modify that for rooms and a smaller movement grid. Then again, I don't know how many languages DJ can code. :walrii:
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I only can use TI-BASIC (with xLIBC but even then I don't know some xLIBC stuff) and HP PPL in general.