Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Firebird - New TI-Nspire emulator

Started by Vogtinator, June 05, 2015, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vogtinator

You may have heard about it already, but if you haven't... this is the official first release of a new TI-Nspire emulator!
The core of it is based on Goplat's renowned "nspire_emu", but with quite some changes.
The name is subject to change. If you have an idea, please post it here!

Major changes:
  • Supported platforms: Linux, Mac OS X (10.7+), Windows, Android (ARM and x86), iOS (without JIT, except if running on a jailbroken device)
  • Flexible GUI with many user-friendly additions
  • Supports nspire-linux
Also, GDB support for debugging of ndless apps has been improved and nspire-linux boots successfully, like in the second screenshot.

So, if you want to debug your Ndless programs, test Lua scripts or just use the calculator, this is the right emulator for you.

Please note that like nspire_emu, you need to provide a Boot1 file, which you can obtain from your own device easily with PolyDumper. Of course you can still use the flash files from nspire_emu.

Download:
Prebuilt packages for Android (armv7), Linux/X11 (64-bit), Mac OS and Windows are on GitHub: https://github.com/nspire-emus/nspire_emu/releases

Screenshots:
Running on Mac OS X, in English, custom dock arrangement

On Linux, in German

On Windows, in French

On Android

and a video:

On an iPhone, although not really useful right now, probably better on an iPad

Contributors to the project:

• Fabian "Vogtinator" Vogt: UI design, work on emu core, German translation
  • Antonio Vazquez: code cleanups, linux support work, archlinux packaging
  • Adrien "Adriweb" Bertrand: mostly testing (especially Mac and iOS), French translation
  • Lionel Debroux: some x64-related cleanups
  • You? ;)
This post is also on tiplanet: http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16652&p=183653#p183653
and omnimaga: https://www.omnimaga.org/ti-nspire-projects/new-ti-nspire-emulator
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Ivoah

Sweet! I'm totally going to put this on my (jailbroken) iPad! Congrats to all involved!
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, this looks nice. I was always wondering when this would happen. There was KarmTI but with it being closed-source, the day that SpiroH would vanish it was clear that nobody would be able to contribute to it anymore, so I'm glad to see an open-source alternative to a Nspire Emu expansion. Thanks for the initiative :)

I'm also happy to see the emulation speed setting feature preserved, because that was quite handy when making animated screenshots of very hard games. :P

EDIT: Front-paged.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Nice project!
If I find a rom, I might once give it a try ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Adriweb

I'm going to leave this here...

(One day, maybe, when/if it is ready...)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Adriweb on June 05, 2015, 02:29:19 PM
I'm going to leave this here...

(One day, maybe, when/if it is ready...)
If I am gonna have to spend as much on a watch that gets stuck everywhere than a smartphone, then I would rather have the smartphone. But I guess having the emulator on a smart watch would be nice too if there is a way to make it easy to press the right buttons. After all, there used to be calculator watches out there :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

This is just a photo, I just wanted to see how it looked on the wrist :D

But I've started looking around in WatchKit, too... so maybe some day the iPhone app will "broadcast" the screen to the watch. Or even get to compile the emu for the watch itself (btu I doubt it, that would require Qt to be ported there, and there's pretty much no way that happens :P)

Evidently, it would be just for fun, considering the screen size, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

Dream of Omnimaga

Can Apple watches be jailbroken yet? And would the emulator requires heavy modifications to run on an Android watch instead of phone?

And yeah, screen size would be a serious problem lol. Even on my Nexus I sometimes have troubles typing. With how small the Nspire Touchpad letters are, I can't imagine how much worse it would be.

Adriweb

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 05, 2015, 02:39:42 PMCan Apple watches be jailbroken yet?
Not that I know of.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 05, 2015, 02:39:42 PMAnd would the emulator requires heavy modifications to run on an Android watch instead of phone?
Hmm, I don't know, I'll let Vogtinator reply, but I suppose as long is Qt runs on the platform you want it on, it's OK.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Adriweb on June 05, 2015, 02:46:30 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 05, 2015, 02:39:42 PMCan Apple watches be jailbroken yet?
Not that I know of.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 05, 2015, 02:39:42 PMAnd would the emulator requires heavy modifications to run on an Android watch instead of phone?
I suppose as long is Qt runs on the platform you want it on, it's OK.
Wait, Quicktime is required to run the emulator? I thought that Qt was an Apple thing. O.O

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 05, 2015, 02:50:25 PM
Wait, Quicktime is required to run the emulator? I thought that Qt was an Apple thing. O.O[/quote]
Different Qt: http://www.qt.io/
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh :P. I was checking Google for Qt and it was returning results for Quicktime Player. <_< Not that I would mind having to install Quicktime on my computer, but I bet it would take like 10-90% of my Nexus 5 disk space alone, so that would be a big no.

Vogtinator

I would definitely mind having Quicktime anywhere near me, it's even worse than MSN messenger, AOL and KB3035583/GWX together.

I have no idea how the android wear stuff works and I don't have one (I don't even own an android device), but it's definitely doable to use the watch as a display with a simple receiver app and some modifications to the Java code on the emu side.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

novenary

Wow, awesome. I still prefer to test on hardware but this comes in handy when debugging. The old version of the emulator was really annoying to use.

Snektron

Cool emulator! Alsao you can probably do something on android with native code for an emulator :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...