Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Another shocking government trick to spy on us (Printers involved)

Started by DarkestEx, April 28, 2015, 11:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben_g

Quote from: DarkestEx on April 28, 2015, 11:04:49 PM
Here's an image of the dots:

I closely examined a page I just printed, and there doesn't seem to be anything similar on it, unless it's so faint that it's indistinguishable from the grain of the paper or from the tiny 'outflowings' of ink at the edges of text.

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

On the picture you can see the grains on the paper so it was probably under a microscope.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

DarkestEx

Yeah, these dots are really tiny. They are atleast on every page printed by an HP, Xerox, or one of many other color printers from the larger companies.
They are mostly near black surfaces and only on white background. Using a bright flashlight and a strong magnifying glass, I was able to see them.
A good test is to print out a white page with an image and some text. Then check near the borders of the text for the dots. This algorithm is made so that you don't notice them in normal use.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

alexgt

That isn't creepy at all. I wonder if it does the same stuff when you scan something O.O.

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 20, 2015, 01:35:40 PM
Could it be a German-only thing?
Not sure. I'm not the only one, who's concerned about this. I know some members at Cemetech, who are from other countries and are concerned too.
But yeah, many people in Germany, including me, are really angry about the US Government BREAKING OUR BASIC LAWS (Deutsches Grundgesetz) and spying on us.
Breaking peoples basic rights is a NO GO! Feel free to read our law here: https://www.bundestag.de/bundestag/aufgaben/rechtsgrundlagen/grundgesetz/gg_01/245122 (Use Google Translate).
TL;DR: (Basic, fundamantal rights of German citicens)  ยง1, Art. 10.1 says: "(1) Das Briefgeheimnis sowie das Post- und Fernmeldegeheimnis sind unverletzlich." which translates into English as such: "(1) The privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications shall be inviolable."
These basic rights are NOT changeable, NOT removable and COMPLETLY OBLIGATORY.

I hope this clears things up.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Snektron

We all know the US govt only cares about them selves, unless a country has oil <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I think WW3 will be a cyber war involving crippling each other's networks rather than a physical fight. Unless of course WW3 is actually against ISIS.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 20, 2015, 01:58:00 PM
We all know the US govt only cares about them selves, unless a country has oil <_<
Even if it has oil still that is all they want <_<

Snektron

alexgt

Well it is the only place I have lived so... I couldn't tell :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Something I wonder is if starting a new underground internet protocol as alternative to HTTP that cannot be accessed by government would be feasible? That idea was brought up before. My worry, though, is that it could end up in the wrong hands, for example used by terrorists, then intervention from authorities would be required before it gets out of control.

Snektron

Yeah that's the whole reason the nsa wants to know all data transfers

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 20, 2015, 09:41:28 PM
Something I wonder is if starting a new underground internet protocol as alternative to HTTP that cannot be accessed by government would be feasible? That idea was brought up before. My worry, though, is that it could end up in the wrong hands, for example used by terrorists, then intervention from authorities would be required before it gets out of control.
It's called https. But knowing them they probably have a cload of backdoors in ssl. :P