Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI-Planet won't load on mobile wifi, but works fine on 3G and desktop wifi

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 10, 2016, 12:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So I noticed that for the last year or so, some websites, TI-Planet in particular, will either take a long time to load on my Nexus 5 or not load at all, but once I switch to my mobile data plan (3G), they work perfectly and load very fast. I have no issue loading those websites on desktop PC wifi either, the only connection issues being via phone wifi. This happens sometimes on some specific websites in particular (Google search and The Weather Network), but on TI-Planet this happens 99% of the time (sometimes, the portal will load, then nothing will work regardless of which version of the site I use), and when I reported the issue in September, no one seemed to know the answer to my issue.

With TI-Planet, the issue happens from any wifi connection on mobile, public or at home. So it's not my home connection that is the problem. Plus if it was the issue, then I wouldn't be able to access the website on my PC either.

Do you know why this might be happening and how I could fix it so that I don't burn all my data through TI-Planet when I'm not home?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

This URL parameter disables the server-side additional caching+optimizer (Pagespeed) for this page.
I have no idea why your mobile phone on WiFi in particular doesn't like it though...

It'd probably be useful to get some console log to see if there are warnings/errors etc. but that might be a bit hard on phones (well, not trivial, at least)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I was always curious about if it was possible on a non-rooted phone to have access logs or do a traceroute directly from the phone.

Adriweb

Google Chrome can remote debug the android version, IIRC, as can Safari on iOS.

SiphonicSugar

Wait what?  I didn't know that safari could do that... I thought that it was the crappiest browser on earth.

Also, do you think that I will be able to view the IRC on the top of the forum if I use Mozilla Firefox on iOS?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Adriweb

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on February 11, 2016, 01:43:49 AMWait what?  I didn't know that safari could do that... I thought that it was the crappiest browser on earth.
lolwat? It's definitely pretty good, and on Mac, better than Chrome for many things (especially battery usage). The engine is the same, too (webkit, which happens to be run by Apple).

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on February 11, 2016, 01:43:49 AMAlso, do you think that I will be able to view the IRC on the top of the forum if I use Mozilla Firefox on iOS?
Probably, it should work with anything anyway, on desktop mode, or use the full-page chat URL

SiphonicSugar

• Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad

Adriweb

Any decent mobile/tablet browser should have an option to toggle a "Desktop mode" :P
But anyway, the full-page chat is here: https://tiplanet.org/forum/chat/

SiphonicSugar

Adriweb

SiphonicSugar