Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Super Mario 84

Started by annoyingcalc, October 08, 2015, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annoyingcalc

Oh, no I'm not using it as of now, but I could implement that later.

c4ooo

Basicly. for excample if you want to go right, you dont do increment x and redraw the whole screen. Instead you shift a specifed buffer to the left and draw the rightmost column.

In the beginning, you will have to render the whole map onto a draw buffer, and every from you will have to copy that buffer onto the main draw buffer, and then render the ui onto the main buffer.

annoyingcalc

This sounds like it might speed up the drawing a lot, I'll try when I get home and see how it goes.

Dream of Omnimaga

Physics don't need to be that complex IMHO for a Mario game but not redrawing the entire screen every frame would definitively be a good idea.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

By physics I mean how mario moves. If you compare Project M to what I have, mario moves better.

SiphonicSugar

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 09, 2015, 06:32:08 AM
Pictures, or it didn't happen :P

I am glad you are trying calculator programming again, though. :)
Quote from: SiphonicSugar on October 08, 2015, 10:11:15 PM
FINALLY!

I was so happy to hear about Project M, and then it was never completed.  The Mario game that is out there right now sucks because of no grey scale.

But anyway, I think that this is great that someone is actually making a decent Mario game.  Do you think that I could be a beta tester?
I don't think the current Mario game is that bad. JUst because it lacks grayscale doesn't mean it's bad either. The problem is that it's so ancient and buggy that it's surprising that no new Mario game ever came out.
Yeah, I know, but one of the game boy worlds has a black back ground, and it is super hard to see where you are.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Snektron

Cool project :) I can't wait to see some screen to see what you have in store for us :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 09, 2015, 08:26:16 PM
By physics I mean how mario moves. If you compare Project M to what I have, mario moves better.
Yeah true. But I mean that physics like in Sam Heald's Mario would be fine IMHO, although perhaps you could slow gravity down so that Mario doesn't jump as fast.

Basically, avoid anything like Zedd's physics or other things that are overly complex, else since it's your first ever Axe project you need to find every possible ways to keep speed high enough to avoid hitting a roadblock.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

Partial Redraw is coming along. It has had a huge speed increase. Screenshots as soon as everything works.

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool. I can't wait for the screenshot. Also I am curious about the graphical style you'll use. How big is the engine so far?

annoyingcalc

I based the graphics off Project M. Currently the executable is 12000bytes. (I have to compile it as a Flash App) The source is just under 8k

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. If you use his graphics then did you ask him permission, though? Also do you think you'll be able to get around the 8K code limit or is it an app?

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 10, 2015, 03:49:00 AM
Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 09, 2015, 08:26:16 PM
Yeah true. But I mean that physics like in Sam Heald's Mario would be fine IMHO, although perhaps you could slow gravity down so that Mario doesn't jump as fast.

Basically, avoid anything like Zedd's physics or other things that are overly complex, else since it's your first ever Axe project you need to find every possible ways to keep speed high enough to avoid hitting a roadblock.

Noooo! Physics are what make Mario games fun! I didn't like Sam Head's Mario game for exactly that reason, the physics are terrible. Please try to make good physics.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah but I meant he should not do them overly complex like in Zedd either. It's an Axe project, after all, and he needs to ensure that before he implements physics this complex, that he still has enough speed left to implement collision detection with enemies and shrooms. I bet that physics as complex as in Project M would cause extreme slowdowns (eg game running at 5 FPS on 6 MHz calcs)

SiphonicSugar

Lol, well, I can't wait for this game anyway.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P