Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 04, 2015, 11:56:17 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 04, 2015, 06:53:26 AM
Besides, it could cause our site mods to stop working (eg Youtube).

Funny you say that, i've jsut noticed a bug where youtube videos don't show, though i'm not using https...
No errors in the console either :/
It depends from what device you are browsing CW. We have one of the Youtube feature setup to now automatically embed Youtube videos when browsing from mobile devices.

Quote from: Juju on April 04, 2015, 09:39:27 PM
Do you get similar warnings on Omnimaga?
I have not gotten any warning on OMnimaga for months. The only issue I encountered was how Youtube vids were blocked by default. Not sure if that was fixed since I haven't checked their off-topic section in months. In any case, I would rather make sure that everything we offer is 100% functional in HTTPS mode before we start rolling out changes to our users. We already have some issues with WalrusIRC logs since we switched away from a sub-domain.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Have you already been on Omnimaga for months? :S
I should post there once or twice, but I can't. :/
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Why can't you? (just curious)
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 05, 2015, 04:57:21 AM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 04, 2015, 11:56:17 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 04, 2015, 06:53:26 AM
Besides, it could cause our site mods to stop working (eg Youtube).

Funny you say that, i've jsut noticed a bug where youtube videos don't show, though i'm not using https...
No errors in the console either :/
It depends from what device you are browsing CW. We have one of the Youtube feature setup to now automatically embed Youtube videos when browsing from mobile devices.
I was just browsing from my PC, but it seems to have fixed it self now
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 05, 2015, 08:07:49 AM
Have you already been on Omnimaga for months? :S
I should post there once or twice, but I can't. :/
Well near the end I already didn't post as much in non-calc threads there, but since I left I barely even check off-topic stuff there altogether, since I spend more time here or to a lesser extent Cemetech. Even on Cemetech since I got a bit busy lately most of my posts are FF:MF updates.

Also I am trying to fix CODE tags

[spoiler]3

r
r
sr

sd
fs
sd
f
r

wdde
d

er
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
Quote44r3
r

rewrew
re
r
rwe
r
rwe
rwe
r
rwe
rwe
rwe
r
wer
wer
we
rwe
[/spoiler]

But even with the following CSS it still doesn't fix them in Chrome:

/* A code block - maybe PHP ;). */
code.bbc_code
{
   display: block;
   font-family: "dejavu sans mono", "monaco", "lucida console", "courier new", monospace;
   font-size: x-small;
   background: #eef;
   border-top: 2px solid #999;
   border-bottom: 2px solid #999;
   line-height: 1.5em;
   padding: 3px 1em;
   overflow: auto;
   white-space: nowrap;
   min-height: 200px !important;
   max-height: 600px !important;
}

THe strange part is that with QUOTE I have no issues:

blockquote.bbc_standard_quote, blockquote.bbc_alternate_quote
{
   font-size: x-small;
   color: #000;
   line-height: 1.4em;
   background: url(../images/theme/quote.png) 0.1em 0.1em no-repeat;
   border-top: 2px solid #99A;
   border-bottom: 2px solid #99A;
   padding: 1.1em 1.4em;
   margin: 0.1em 0 0.3em 0;
   overflow: auto;
}

EDIT It seems that after several refreshes in this page it finally worked. But we'll have to see I guess. But now there's an empty gap.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

What exactly is the problem? because it seems fine to me?

novenary

Code tags in spoilers show only one line of text in Chrome it seems.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yes. It's either a Chrome bug or a SMF bugs. This happened as well if you had someone on your ignored user list.

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks to SirCmpwn, the CODE blocks appears to be 100% fixed. You might need to do an hard refresh to see changes, though. Let me know if there are more problems.

My previous fix solved the small divs in Spoiler tags issue in Chrome that has been present on SMF for ages, but it added a large gap below code if the code was short.

I'm Curious if SMF 9.0 will fix that issue? 9_9

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Not sure what caused it, but I bet that SMF stuff was overriding pretty much any possible CSS we tried for CODE tags. Hence why !important was necessary. But my initial fix caused CODE tags to be stretched vertically when the code was small.

Dream of Omnimaga

Not a major bug, but a little annoying: On Chrome Mobile, there are no checkboxes in the members awaiting approval page. I wanted to approve @catastropher account and finally had to do it from his profile.

Also, since we never get registration errors due to StopForumSpam, I am contemplating making people be automatically approved when their db is down. This would solve the issue causing IPv6 users to require manual admin activation.

EDIT I also need to edit the site navigation at one point to include more profile links.

Dream of Omnimaga

So one future project I have in mind is to attempt to get this on the website: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3491

This will require uninstalling each currently installed mod one by one until it no longer throw warning during installing attempts. It currently conflicts with one of the 30 mods we have installed. Once the conflict has been found, we can attempt to reinstall them in a different order, which usually work, but is time-consuming and tedious, especially if you forget in which order you uninstalled the mods.

However, this feature would be nice, as it would allow staff to put certain topics in multiple categories (eg First Fantasy download topic inside both the download section and the official project sub-forum.)

Snektron

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Custom pages for major projects could be a thing. They could use a project.codewalr.us or codewalr.us/projects/projectname as link and they would only get one only page. It could be an interesting thing to allow to major projects and serious members here (not the genre prone to hack us for instance).
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

That could be a nice idea, but only as long as the project pages don't have blogs used as replacement to the forums. The last thing we want is to kill off project activity on the forums. The page could probably have a downloads page listing all attachments in the sub-forum or topic, though. Also the page content could remain on the forums, since it's possible to make a post content show up outside the forums using special SMF features.