Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Natural disasters!

Started by alexgt, May 02, 2015, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

Today there was an earthquake in Michigan close to where I live and I wanted to share it

Did you have any encounters with the such in your life?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

oh, my gash

There's an earthquake where I live like every 20 minutes. (Hawaii)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

You live on hawaii? Awesome :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

alexgt

Yeah earthquakes are rare here so it really felt out of the ordinary but in Hawaii there is a lot more stuff going on since it is a volcano... alexgt wants to take a vacation :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: alexgt on May 02, 2015, 06:58:49 PM
Today there was an earthquake in Michigan close to where I live and I wanted to share it

Did you have any encounters with the such in your life?

Yes in 1997. Although only 5 with the epicenter pretty far, it was kinda scary as kid. We had a 5.9 earthquake in 1988 but I was too young to remember it. Neither caused any damage. My mom didn't realize it until it made the headlines because when the neighboors went downstairs it was like a 5.0 earthquake.

Quebec gets 100 earthquakes a year but they are so small we rarely feel any.

We occasionally get hit by remnants of hurricanes which causes minor flooding in remote areaslike where juju lives.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

I live in holland so there are not really any earthquakes. Rarely there are some small waterspouts over on the Ijsselmeer but thats quite far away from where i live.
we do have some storms in the spring and fall, though they are not really bad (though the ones in fall can be quite nasty)

Unicorn

Yeah, well there are not many quakes that we can feel, but they are still there.

I can't believe what happened in Nepal. O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Yeah :-/. And it's bound to happen in constantinople sooner or later too...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on May 02, 2015, 09:21:52 PM
Yeah, well there are not many quakes that we can feel, but they are still there.

Yeah I feel bad for the people who live there. The worst part is that this country isn't hit that often by big earthquakes, so their buildings and infrastructure was most likely not done to resist earthquakes. In Quebec we now have earthquake policies for the construction industry and public buildings like hospitals. But I doubt the buildings are as strong as in California or Japan. Charlevoix-Kamouraska area once got hit by a 7.3-7.9 earthquake in 1663 and that area is like 1.5 hours drive from here. I hope we don't get hit by that anytime soon >.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlevoix_Seismic_Zone
http://earthquaketrack.com/p/canada/quebec/biggest

EDIT: Actually that 7.3-7.9 earthquake used Mercalli scale. It's probably lower than that on Richter scale, but there were some 6.0-6.5 ones in the last 200-300 years.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Quote from: Unicorn on May 02, 2015, 09:21:52 PM

Apparently there were over 20 after shocks that were above 6.0 so the buildings that were still standing weren't for long :(

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow, that's terrible. Just after you had to go through the initial event and scared for life, you end up having to deal with 20 more earthquakes that are still destructive. The small 5.1 earthquake here had two noticeable aftershocks just a few minutes after the initial thing, and we were standing close to the exit door just in case an even bigger one would occur (I heard that sometimes the aftershocks can be even stronger). If we had an even bigger earthquake we would probably either run for our lives or I would be stunned in shock.

Yuki

Yeah, as DJ said, unlike some other parts of the world, earthquakes above 4-5 are pretty rare and we hardly feel it. Floods are way more common. I live on my little neighborhood's main street, which is pretty much next to the river (I live on the other side) and last year the river flooded, there was water until the middle of the street at some points, roads were closed, quite a lot of homes were flooded, well, that was quite the natural disaster. Again this year, the water is usually at its high around April when snow finishes to melt, the water level was dangerously high, some houses and terrain flooded (like this house built literally next to the river, they could literally open the back door and step on a boat from there), but it wasn't as bad as last year.

One of the major disasters we had here in Québec was the infamous 1996 Saguenay Flood which pretty much destroyed a whole neighborhood of the town of Chicoutimi, save for a little white house, for some reason, as a result of massive rain. Note that I have family living there. So yeah, they survived the worst flood of the 20th century in Canada.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

It's sad that they had to go through this D:. I still remember that flood. They had like 7 inches of rain in one day IIRC after 2 weeks of rain and then the dams failed, right?

Also now that you bring this up, the Ice Storm of 1998 which crippled most of Montreal area's power grid infrastructure and left 3 millions of people in the dark. But the worst part is that following the storm, the usual period of extreme cold that occurs mid-january started occuring, and 1 million of people didn't get power until 1 month later. Many had to be evacuated from their home because with no other safe source of heating they would not have survived. In my case, all we got was 1 week of snowstorming and winds so we were safe.

Yuki

Pretty much, Chicoutimi had 11 inches of rain in a few hours, it's pretty much more rain in a day than what we usually get in a month. And then the dams failed. Thinking of that, similar stuff happened with category 4 and 5 hurricanes in the US, I think of New Orleans during Katrina, among others, where the dams had a hard time keeping it up, so imagine if we had such hurricanes this far in the north...

And yeah, the infamous Ice Storm of 1998. The big of the damage was more in the Montreal and Ottawa area, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 03, 2015, 01:52:42 AM
Wow, that's terrible. Just after you had to go through the initial event and scared for life, you end up having to deal with 20 more earthquakes that are still destructive. The small 5.1 earthquake here had two noticeable aftershocks just a few minutes after the initial thing, and we were standing close to the exit door just in case an even bigger one would occur (I heard that sometimes the aftershocks can be even stronger). If we had an even bigger earthquake we would probably either run for our lives or I would be stunned in shock.
The closer the earthquake is to the surface the more aftershocks and more damaging.

Quote from: Juju on May 03, 2015, 04:52:18 PM
Pretty much, Chicoutimi had 11 inches of rain in a few hours, it's pretty much more rain in a day than what we usually get in a month. And then the dams failed. Thinking of that, similar stuff happened with category 4 and 5 hurricanes in the US, I think of New Orleans during Katrina, among others, where the dams had a hard time keeping it up, so imagine if we had such hurricanes this far in the north...

And yeah, the infamous Ice Storm of 1998. The big of the damage was more in the Montreal and Ottawa area, though.
11 inches of rain would flood California because the ground doesn't seep up the water that fast, at least they wouldn't be in drought anymore  :-\