Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Eiyeron on January 14, 2015, 09:35:31 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 14, 2015, 07:57:45 AMWhen you expand a drop down it clicks the parent link so if you're not fast enough it won't let you click sub-links.

Not if you remove the url to the main link. And I'd really like that, as this link is redundant with Summary's
The issue with removing the URL to the main link is that it kinda makes things inconsistent, though. I'll need to investigate on Google and SMF website to ensure that doing this is good practice before doing it and if it might annoy users. I know on Omni some people complained that top navigation was not always clickable.

That said, I wonder if it would be possible via CSS to only make them clickable on desktop view and not mobile?
Quote from: aeTIos on January 14, 2015, 01:23:56 PM
I asked my ma if I could take the (unused) Acer Aspire One with me, and she thinks it's OK. If my pa also agrees (and I'm pretty sure he will, as no one can use it at all) I can set up a backup server. I'll report back after the weekend.
Also I got router access so I threw open bunch of ports to the IP I want the server to be using (192.168.178.42 :P), namely 1337, 80, and 21 (I wanna run a small web page on it, too)
Keep in mind that the backup server will be on roughly 20/6, as I have no internet on Sundays nor at night. This might change: staff's talking about different rules when they are going to take better connections :). I do hope though that when they change connections that they'll let me open the ports, but if I tell it's for backing up a website they'll probably let me. We'll see :D
Oh also, my external IP is 37.0.90.166. I asked juju if he could give me a subdomain on is-a-brony.

Cool to hear. I currently backup the site wherever I have copy access on FTP but ideally that should be done automatically since I only do it weekly and sometimes am late, and it was made clear when the site was first discussed with the entire staff that I would only have limited access anyway :P

Also: Small update: aeTIos was promoted to server maintenance, now that he can perform such task, and the front page and about sections are getting update to reflect those changes.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

On the same offtopic, I bought this, a similar laptop to what I intended to buy, but way less expensive (about the RAM I still can buy it later)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hmm nice and large screen too. :D

As for the site, I noticed that on Omnimaga, I am unable to use OmnomIRC anymore. All I see is the following:

This happens in every browser on this connection, but I couldn't check if it worked fine at the shopping mall. I am hoping this doesn't start happening on CodeWalrus as well, because even clearing my cache and cookies didn't fix the Omni issue. If it's because they upgraded to a new Omnom version, then CodeWalrus is gonna stay a few versions behind for the time being, in case.

Has anybody else gotten this issue over here, by the way? (excluding loading)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Don't even talk about it there. The lag is just awful and most of them time I can't get into the channels for some reason.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Strange, if you can't join IRC directly (using IRCCloud for example) on any IRC server then it might be some ISP issue with blocked ports or maybe EFnet/Omninet blacklisted your ISP. I know OmnomIRC lags a lot sometimes but IRC itself doesn't for me when I access it directly from EFnet, Freenode or Omninet.

Dream of Omnimaga

Increased max topic limit for the recent posts mod. If you notice any lag let us know.

Yuki

I changed something in nginx.conf and the lag somehow disappeared o.o
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

I beg to differ. It disappeared for several minutes for me, but now the November OmnomIRC issue where the site lags out if you try to reload a page before Omnom is done loading is back again, so some site pages takes 10 seconds or more to load. In addition to that there is still some noticeable lag in Omnom sometimes.

Quote from: Too good to be true[1:32:22 AM]   Juju   no lag?
[1:32:26 AM]   Juju   o.o
[1:32:28 AM]   Juju   hi
[1:32:31 AM]   Juju   lol
[1:32:45 AM]   Juju   yep.
[1:34:37 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   O.O
[1:34:43 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   maybe less traffic at this time
[1:34:53 AM]   Juju   no
[1:35:15 AM]   Juju   I changed something in nginx and it somehow worked
[1:35:21 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   O.O
[1:35:23 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   wait
[1:35:26 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   *.*
[1:35:32 AM]   Juju   yep
[1:37:47 AM]   *   Walrified post by unknownloner on Re: What are you listening to? http://codewalr.us/160/3715
[1:40:30 AM]   *   Walrified post by Juju on Re: What are you listening to? http://codewalr.us/160/3716
[1:40:43 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   juju
[1:40:49 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   site suddenly spazzed out
[1:41:02 AM]   Juju   o.o
[1:41:36 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   yeah it's somewhat laggy at times now
[1:41:40 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   keep an eye on this
[1:42:34 AM]   *   Walrified post by Juju on Re: CodeWalr.us todo list & updates discussion http://codewalr.us/2/3717
[1:43:00 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   juju it might be that you reverted the November changes cuz now when you load a new page before Omnom is done loading, the site doesnt respond
[1:44:19 AM]   *   Walrified post by DJ Omnimaga on Re: CodeWalr.us todo list & updates discussion http://codewalr.us/2/3718
[1:44:46 AM]   DJ Omnimaga   juju you might have to change it back for the time being. The November site lag is back

So yeah it was too good to be true D:

Snektron

): It has moments for me when its instant, but a few seconds later it goes back to super slow :/
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

aetios

So yeah, got my hands on a lappy for backups but 1) I have no charger for it :P 2) I first gotta clean it before I am going to run it 24/7 because it's got like its own mass in dust inside it. I'm not going to take a risk of a fire (dust is pretty flammable and fire loves plastic and the battery has lithium in it, if I get a fire I'm totally super screwed).
ceci n'est pas une signature

Snektron

Put it in a fridge. Trust me it'll be fine! Who wouldn't trust a russian snake!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

brentmaas

Lel I glitched Omni

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on January 18, 2015, 12:08:14 PM
So yeah, got my hands on a lappy for backups but 1) I have no charger for it :P 2) I first gotta clean it before I am going to run it 24/7 because it's got like its own mass in dust inside it. I'm not going to take a risk of a fire (dust is pretty flammable and fire loves plastic and the battery has lithium in it, if I get a fire I'm totally super screwed).
Since it's a laptop from 1998-2000 do you think they still make chargers for that kind of laptop? And yeah normally a laptop cannot run 24/7 unless you mod it to be heavily cooled, so you might have to either monitor it or sometime turn it off. What I notice is that when people use their laptop a lot, especially for gaming or intensive tasks, it usually lasts less than 2 years, although most of the time it's the LCD or hard drive that die first.

Also I just disabled OmnomIRC's shoutbox version because with juju's changes it caused the site to lag like mad. It will probably be enabled again once he reverts the changes back or make it again so that if we load a page before Omnom is done loading, then we aren't throttled until OmnomIRC was supposed to be finished loading.

Yuki

Yeah, guess it was too good to be true. I reverted it back.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN