Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI-Nspire OS 4.2 released

Started by Yuki, February 16, 2016, 05:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Bit of a bad news today, as with most TI-Nspire OS releases, the newest OS 4.2 is out for release as of today. Same Boot1 and Boot2, but among the new features we have new IO functions (Get, GetStr and Send) and, most importantly, as you can guess by now, it blocks Ndless 4.0.3, as released last month, without any way to downgrade.

So in short, as we say almost every release of the OS...

DO NOT INSTALL THE NEW NSPIRE OS 4.2 IF YOU WANT NDLESS.

Well, until a new version of Ndless fixes it all. (EDIT 19/02/2016: Which is coming soon already?)

Source: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17963
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Dang I wanted to post the news. It was gonna be a copycat of the OS 4.0 news with some strikethroughs with small replacements next to them, because that's pretty much what this OS is, and I'm not surprised it comes out right after Ndless 4.0.3. I'm betting 4.2 was not supposed to come out before next school year, but that Ndless 4.0.3 made TI rush it to the market.

Also this OS might be problematic in France, because in June 2015, many French teachers who monitored exams tried to instate their own laws and restrictions during exams, such as disallowing students from using their Nspire CX calc to view documents even though they were allowed to and worse. 
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

GalacticPirate

And new functions in the I/O prog menu, Get, GetStr, and Send :p
Also the bug with quotation marks in strings in programs is corrected :p
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Dudeman313

Quote from: STV on February 16, 2016, 05:41:21 PM
And new functions in the I/O prog menu, Get, GetStr, and Send :P
That's already up there. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: STV on February 16, 2016, 05:41:21 PM
And new functions in the I/O prog menu, Get, GetStr, and Send :p
Also the bug with quotation marks in strings in programs is corrected :p
Wait, they fixed a bug? O.O That's usually rare, because OS 3.6 still had bugs dating all the way back in OS 1.1 or so.

As for Get/GetStr/Send, do they also work while the other calculator is busy doing stuff? (for example, inside a For loop) On the 83+ series, GetCalc stopped working if the other calculator was busy and only worked if it was Paused or not inside a program.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

Do the new IO functions work in lua? Because if so I am definately upgrading(I dont really use any ndless apps except for ndoom and nclock and many other apps crash/reset my calc anyways). Also how are they used? Are they just for calc to calc or can you communicate between the nspire and a computer or some other device?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

semiprocoder

Eh then its not really worth it. I'm going to stick with os 4.0.3 for now.
Also are there any other changes(and where can I see the list of them) made with the new os?

Dream of Omnimaga

Critor just reported that there is now a Wait command, to add a pause of a few seconds to the program. Kinda like on the HP Prime.

https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=17963&p=197083#p197082

There is no changelog yet. Maybe there will be one at T3?

Adriweb

Well, there is a changelog page, although as usual they don't tell everything :P
https://education.ti.com/en/us/whats-new
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Yuki

They tell what's interesting in math courses and that's it, so teachers can understand what new they can teach. Nothing about the boring internals nobody cares about. (except us power users of course :P)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Adriweb

The new Lua stuff I've seen are detailed here: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=197086#p197086 (some new things, but mainly USB ("asi") related stuff)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

semiprocoder

Will these changes be added to the ti nspire lua reference guide?