Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Post your game purchases and collection!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 24, 2014, 07:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

lol, you seriously bought it for that price ?
You can sell that game for like a hundred bucks !
Can't wait for September (School) and March 2017 (NX's release date) to get some interesting games.

Btw DJ, i got Paper Mario and the Thousand-Year Door, not Paper Mario 64.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was shocked when I saw it in Wii games bin. When I went to La Planque they had it for $70 and on Ebay the lowest I saw was $40 excluding shipping. I guess they didn't realize that unlike the PS3 One Piece games, this one was rare.

On the other hand, that EB Game store was charging $90 for Persona Q for the 3DS, even though other EB Game stores charges half that amount. Maybe they swapped the stickers by accident, who knows? :P

And I see about paper Mario. I thought you got the N64 version.

Back to One Piece unlimited Adventure, it looks fun, from what I saw in the manual, although I suck at remembering combos, so I might have an hard time getting the hang out of them if the game requires using them. Adventure and RPG games tend to give more room about combos and hard-to-perform moves, by allowing the player to beat the entire game by only attacking most of the time, but some are unforgiving. In Killer Instinct arcade, I could often perform special moves easily and spam them, but in Mortal Kombat II I rarely ever could.

And another example are games where to perform a double or triple hit, you must press a button at a specific time. Mario RPG, Paper Mario 64 and Legend of Dragoon are examples. Mario games usually gives a lot of room for error, but Legend of Dragoon pretty much required pressing the button at one specific frame. One frame too late or early and it was fail. I once made a calculator RPG which use such thing: Mana Force 2. It gave enough room for error but not as much as Mario RPG.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 09, 2016, 02:18:18 AM
Back to One Piece unlimited Adventure, it looks fun, from what I saw in the manual, although I suck at remembering combos, so I might have an hard time getting the hang out of them if the game requires using them. Adventure and RPG games tend to give more room about combos and hard-to-perform moves, by allowing the player to beat the entire game by only attacking most of the time, but some are unforgiving. In Killer Instinct arcade, I could often perform special moves easily and spam them, but in Mortal Kombat II I rarely ever could.

And another example are games where to perform a double or triple hit, you must press a button at a specific time. Mario RPG, Paper Mario 64 and Legend of Dragoon are examples. Mario games usually gives a lot of room for error, but Legend of Dragoon pretty much required pressing the button at one specific frame. One frame too late or early and it was fail. I once made a calculator RPG which use such thing: Mana Force 2. It gave enough room for error but not as much as Mario RPG.
For me, i think that even the RPG Mario games don't give a lot of room for error, especially for counters.
I'm personally not a fan for such system : i would rather play A-RPGs or have something entirely different rather than something
like Paper Mario that requires some timing.
I find it really annoying the fact i'm basically playing a rhythm game during the battles.
That does not mean Paper Mario games are bad games or anything but i'm a slow guy with no reflexes.

Also, just wondering, did you cracked your Wii with LetterBomb or something ?
I would definitively recommend you do so.
The reason why is because it will allow to dump your own games with CleanDisk/USB Loader GX and then play them from a USB stick
or a hard drive with USB Loader GX.
This avoid scratching the disc and keep it intact as much as possible.
But it's your call.
(Plus, it will allow to play the upcoming Walrus RPG on your Wii)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I agree. Requiring doing combos is kinda cheap when the game isn't a rhythm game, especially if you need the timing to be nearly perfect. Some people like RPGs for not requiring fast reflexes.

And nope I didn't crack my Wii yet (it's not mine anyway. I just own the Wii U). I would definitively like to play my games or save my progress on an USB stick. Also I would like to play Mario Kart Wii custom tracks at some point. Apparently it seemed very tedious to hack a Wii, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Guys, Zelda Windwaker HD is now $20, as a Nintendo select. It might be worth grabbing a copy. Hopefully if you're lucky your store could have marked down old copies as well. Not sure which will be more valuable in the future. But $20 is a bargain considering how much the original Gamecube version costs.

They're also gonna release a Mario-themed New 3DS for $150 that includes Super Mario 3D Land, but it's not the XL version.

Dream of Omnimaga

I just got Atlantis for the Atari and RPG Maker for the PS1. I now have all console-based RPG Maker games.

Someone on CW used that software but I am unable to locate the discussion about it.

Dream of Omnimaga

So I just got a copy of Zelda: Windwaker HD for the Wii U. It was $30 because of the Nintendo Selects reprint but my copy has the original label.

ordelore

I just bought Kero Blaster. It's by the same developer of Cave Story, and seems a very interesting game so far.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+SE, TI_Nspire CX
Calc Wars is still alive (I hope)

Dream of Omnimaga

What genre is it? Also is it digital or physical?

ordelore

Digital, sadly.
It is a 2d platformer shooter, with subtle comedy throughout.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+SE, TI_Nspire CX
Calc Wars is still alive (I hope)

gameblabla

I bought Akai Katana for the Xbox 360, as well as a Playstation TV.
Ys VIII's demo on my PSTV was pretty enjoyable but i'm still undecided if i should buy the Jap version or wait for a translation.

I need to repair my 360 (it broke yet again) so i can play my games on it.

Dream of Omnimaga

The 360 had by far the highest failure rate for any console system, with maybe only the Atari Jaguar CD add-on as exception. I went througth twoo of them myself and gave up on the Xbox 360.

On a side note, is Borderlands Pre-Sequel for the PC any good and is it as repetitive as the first game? Because it's only $8 at Walmart O.O

Dream of Omnimaga

I just bought Shaq Fu for the Sega Genesis factory-sealed for $25 CAD

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 24, 2016, 02:34:33 AM
I just bought Shaq Fu for the Sega Genesis factory-sealed for $25 CAD
Beast's theme on the Sega Genesis sounds pretty good, plus it has more characters.
If you can though, run the game at 50hz : you will suffer from less input lag.
(the game's input code seems sluggish and can't cope at higher speeds like 60hz)

Other than that, it's pretty bad but not the worst game. (the SNES port on the other hand...)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I swear I heard something about the game having better controls in 50 Hz mode. I can't play it in that mode, though. As for the game, is it true that it's overly easy and that the Genesis version is the best one with better controls and more characters, but has horrible music for the most part?

Also the store had 6 sealed copies of the game. O.O No wonder why I couldn't find any on Ebay for the Genesis :P (probably got them in big lots, which is often cheaper, like those people that sells boxes of 6 copies of F-Zero SNES factory sealed or even Custer's Revenge). Lots of unsold games buried inside warehouses tend to make it to Ebay nowadays.

https://www.laplanquejeuxvideo.net/1001357-shaqfugenesis?search=shaq%20fu (that's the store I bought it from, by the way, but I went to the store directly rather than online)

EDIT: Woah, they sold their Turbografx game that was $800? O.O (it's no longer in stock)