Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Mincraft [Android]

Started by tr1p1ea, June 30, 2015, 12:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tr1p1ea

I thought I would post some info about an Android project that I'm currently making in Unity.

Basically its a minimalistic Minecraft(or similar) hence the name 'Mincraft'.

Here is an early test video, however many things have changed from this version:

For performance reasons I had to do away with the infinite world generation and confine it to a specific size. I have managed to add simple caves, water/lava as well. Working on non-interactive mobs at present.

Note that I havent begun to lock down the UI as yet.

Snektron

oh cool! Also, the video doesn't seem to work :/
EDIT: oh, its just that i was using https <_< Looks awesome :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Minimalist with bloom and shaderz? :p

Have fun with your infiniminer clone! :p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow that looks impressive, especially with the lightning/shading effects. I wonder what is the max world size?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

O.O that is awesome with the shading effects and stuff, question: how many light updates do you use because that is really smooth :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

tr1p1ea

Sadly with everything new that I add the performance takes a little hit. Currently there are 2 world lights and some very simple static lighting that is calculated every few frames per block. I am still messing with the shaders to see what looks the best on device.

I plan on having some mobs that initially wont do anything other than run and jump around.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Well, taking performance hits when adding features is normal. Don't be too expensive about features or you'll kill our CPUs by just only watching your videos! ;p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hopefully the speed won't be too much of a problem once you get a full game. >.< Good luck!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Ooh I saw this on irc a while ago. Looks really nice, I hope that you secure good performance and stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

tr1p1ea

Ok so for performance reasons I cut the world to fixed size and had to change a few other things.

At this point i have:

World creation - bedrock, caves, mineral deposits, underground lava, water, trees
Loading/saving
Block destruction and placing
22 blocks including water, lava and TNT!
Some basic block rules - water/lava flow to empty blocks, dirt turns to grass if water touches it, lava turns to stone if water touches it, trees catch fire from lava etc
TNT explodes and makes craters
Some post effect shaders like bloom lighting and minor colour grading

Todo:
Simple mobs - probably just 2 different types of animals running and jumping around randomly
Performance optimisations

Videos to come!

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm fine with fixed world size. What is the size now, by the way? I'm glad it is coming along nicely, though. :)

There should also be a :walrii: easter egg, even if it looks 2D when moving around. :P

tr1p1ea

I think adding in Walrii is a great idea :).

Here are some screenies, I resized for posting reasons:

Ill grab a short video tonight if i get a chance.

CKH4

This graphics are so amazing. Is the fire animated?

tr1p1ea

Thanks :). At this stage the block graphics are only simple checkerboard patterns and I might make better ones later on.

The fire is indeed animated, at this stage only 2 frames ... but it supports more frames easily.

CKH4

You should request to use someone's texture pack if you don't feel up to making your own. Even if you feel like making your own there may be a few tiles you can't manage, usually texture artists like that kind of stuff and will give you partial rights.