Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Best free CMS for portfolio-style website

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2020, 11:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I have wanted to build a personal website for a while, but I was unsure about which CMS would fit better for a portfolio-type website. When I check Google, I find a lot of results such as "Top 10 CMS for personal websites", only to find out that as the top #1, they're advertising their very own paid CMS.

I will not consider any CMS that costs money or that is mostly hidden behind a paywall.

I also prefer a self-hosted solution (I have web space already) where editing the template/CSS doesn't take three months.

Basically, my website would have a page with my discography, another with my calculator releases, another with some old drawings and maybe pixel art and of course my biography regarding my creations. A section on every page would list all my social media profile links and another section would list the music stores and streaming services where my songs are available. A third side section would have other links such as CodeWalrus.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Wordpress is a quite common one, if you can do Node.js there's also Ghost. Keep in mind most of those are blogging platforms and you don't really want to stay away from that. But for your use case that would be pretty good.

Else you can hire me :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, Ghost is not free, so that's out of the question. Does Wordpress let you customize the navigation?

Does Wordpress allow you to host it yourself on something else thanWordpress, Bluehost and Dreamhost? Those are the three only options available on Wordpress website.EDIT: Nevermind, I just had to browse the .org website instead of .com for the download link.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Ghost is free if you manage to host it yourself, but it's quite buried in their website. It's one of those things you have to understand that the paid offer is pretty much hosting for those who don't want to do everything themselves, you have to spot the words "open source" among all the buzzwords to make sure it's really free. That's how they make money, I guess.

WordPress.com/.org also works the same way, but since it's more popular it's more obvious it's also open source. Also quite easier to install if you don't know how to Linux, because it's in PHP. It's also very customizable and there's a whole ton of plugins and themes for it.

Fun fact: WordPress also owns Tumblr, they got it for almost free after the whole debacle with Yahoo! and Verizon :P That one isn't open source, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here