Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Warper - Sci-Fi Beat-em-Up

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2018, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

I noticed a few flaws in the groundwork I used to make Sorcery of Uvutu PC and Gateway to Legend. I noticed my rendering system was basically me just asking SDL to render an image rotated around its physical center. There's no changing the center, grouping images, applying filters, do real-time or pre-rendered animations, or anything like that.

That pushed me to write CoSprite, my SDL2 rendering engine/library, alongside this project. Warper is my application of CoSprite, so lets start talking about it.

Warper is a Beat-em-Up game set in the future, where mutations in genetics combined with advanced technology allows people to teleport. Some can only teleport small distances, some can teleport long distances but not small ones, and some have the rarest ability of all, being able to teleport into different dimensions.
You are a Short-Range Warper, and your brother is one of the rare Dimension Warpers, barely able to control his powers. What happens when his powers are misused or get out of hand?
The planned modes include a story, arena/infinite mode, and a training mode. More information soon.

You can see my most recent (documented) progress in this video update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmw_QVzrbT4

This game is a Work in Progress right now. Warper and CoSprite may and most likely will have several differences between their conception and finalization. Anything can change, so be aware. If you want to look at or use the code in Warper or CoSprite, be my guest! Be sure to abide by the MIT License, but other than that, do anything you want with them!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

123outerme

I've been on a very long break. I just kinda forgot that I make games. Part of the reason I didn't work on Warper when I did remember I made games was because the collision detection routine, while detection works, the un-collision vector it spits out is wrong for some rotated shapes. I couldn't figure it out, and kinda gave up. I'm back now (although I still haven't fixed the un-collision, since the cases where it broke won't come up for this game), and I have this progress update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHtHFReaPGc

I added gravity, wall/ceiling/floor collision, and enhanced the graphics a little bit. Tell me what you think!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

How did I miss this? O.O This looks interesting so I hope this gets finished so I can try it. ^^
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U