Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nintendo just shut down 562 fan games

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 13, 2016, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, Super DMCA Bros or Super Giana Sisters sounds like it's where it's at if your game gets hit too. That and I have unused tiles for platformers that could be handy if that is ever needed. I hope Mario on calcs is safe, though
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

:'( I really dont get us why Nintendo hates them all so much... :( :(
The creators of such games are their greatest fans and instad of losing money it's much more like they boost my interest to play even more nintendo games... (see all the clones online, start thinking about good old mario and zelda games since they are just like super effective advertising, want to play nintendo's stuff).
So why do they punish them instead of hire them...?
Hackers that beat a system are pretty often hired by the exact same company to improve their security stuff. So why are game developers that copy a game and create the same thing Nintendo needed a huge team for all on their own sued and punished instead of hired? Haven't they proven they 1) love nintendo's games 2) have the necessary knowledge/skills to create high-level games, too? :(
* p2 starts hating the game industry... Once they wanted to create games. Now they want to get rich :(

Edit: Using the name "Maryo" instead of Mario should be enough - The "Secret Maryo Chronicles" have been out since years and become pretty famous but never got banned iirc ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Turiq

Quote from: p2 on September 13, 2016, 10:10:20 PM
The creators of such games are their greatest fans and instad of losing money it's much more like they boost my interest to play even more nintendo games... (see all the clones online, start thinking about good old mario and zelda games since they are just like super effective advertising, want to play nintendo's stuff).
Hackers that beat a system are pretty often hired by the exact same company to improve their security stuff. So why are game developers that copy a game and create the same thing Nintendo needed a huge team for all on their own sued and punished instead of hired? Haven't they proven they 1) love nintendo's games 2) have the necessary knowledge/skills to create high-level games, too? :(
* p2 starts hating the game industry... Once they wanted to create games. Now they want to get rich :(

Edit: Using the name "Maryo" instead of Mario should be enough - The "Secret Maryo Chronicles" have been out since years and become pretty famous but never got banned iirc ^^
The problem is that Nintendo more or less has to crack down on fangames, due to copyright laws being cty. If they don't show active effort to defend their IPs, it opens the path for companies to make and sell legal knockoffs, because they'll have shown precedence for letting stuff slide. It's all around a bad situation, and not gonna improve anytime soon, but it is how it is.
  • Calculators owned: 84+SE, Nspire Cas, Nspire CX, Prizm
*blinks*

DarkestEx

Quote from: Turiq on September 13, 2016, 10:56:09 PM

The problem is that Nintendo more or less has to crack down on fangames, due to copyright laws being s***ty. If they don't show active effort to defend their IPs, it opens the path for companies to make and sell legal knockoffs, because they'll have shown precedence for letting stuff slide. It's all around a bad situation, and not gonna improve anytime soon, but it is how it is.
They don't have to but the decide to do so. It's really just them trying to be cs. There is no money to loose, just power to demostrate.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Turiq

Quote from: DarkestEx on September 13, 2016, 11:00:41 PM
Quote from: Turiq on September 13, 2016, 10:56:09 PM

The problem is that Nintendo more or less has to crack down on fangames, due to copyright laws being s***ty. If they don't show active effort to defend their IPs, it opens the path for companies to make and sell legal knockoffs, because they'll have shown precedence for letting stuff slide. It's all around a bad situation, and not gonna improve anytime soon, but it is how it is.
They don't have to but the decide to do so. It's really just them trying to be d***s. There is no money to loose, just power to demostrate.
They don't *have* to, yes. But if they leave the stuff up, it becomes increasingly hard to argue against actual ripoffs in court. It's not a trade-off Nintendo is willing to make, apparently, and I don't entirely blame them for it.
For what it's worth, fangames, especially ones that keep trademarked franchise names and the like intact, are copyright infringement. While the intention of fangame devs may be very much pure, it's still illegal.
*blinks*

Dream of Omnimaga

THey didn't crack down as hard on fan games a few years ago, though. They only did so with a few special cases. It looks like they're scared that fan games lose them money and due to the poor Wii U sales they're not desperate to make people buy their games instead of downloading fan games. I bet they just changed some administration staff and the new ones are on a power trip. It seems like it got worse after Iwata died.

Also Turiq the issue is that those fan games are not sold for money. I could understand if Nintendo shut down fan games sold for money, but now we're talking about small fan games.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 13, 2016, 11:11:05 PM
THey didn't crack down as hard on fan games a few years ago, though. They only did so with a few special cases. It looks like they're scared that fan games lose them money and due to the poor Wii U sales they're not desperate to make people buy their games instead of downloading fan games. I bet they just changed some administration staff and the new ones are on a power trip. It seems like it got worse after Iwata died.

Also Turiq the issue is that those fan games are not sold for money. I could understand if Nintendo shut down fan games sold for money, but now we're talking about small fan games.
Well the line is simple to draw. Let everything non-commerical alone and forbid commercial clones. That's the way to go.
They should stop blaming others for their c console. They messed up there. The Wii U has equal and partially worse hardware than the XBox 360 which came out a year before the original Wii. The 360 is now new cheaper than the Wii U and still better. Apart from games, Nintendo really sucks at hardware recently.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Turiq

As far as crackdowns becoming more popular goes, it might well be because we saw the release of two high-profile games recently, AM2R and Pokemon Uranium. I could easily imagine that other fangames didn't get backlash from nintendo because they didn't get as much attention, and they're just retroactively cracking down now. Granted, Iwata being a leading figure for a long time probably had some effect as well, but despite his own views, legal departments often just do their own thing.

Regardless of the games being not sold for money, it's not exactly kosher. Honestly, it's kinda surprising that they stayed up as long as they did.
*blinks*

gameblabla

And you guys complained about nazi walrii, even though the true nazis were among us all along...
I can't say i'm surprised, and Nintendo are not the only copyright nazis out there.
There's also Blizzard, who took down Overwatch c and a previously unreleased game, Warcraft Adventure : Lord of the Clans.
They are not going to embrace Unseen64 folks, that's for sure.

I encourage every member here who works on a game to release its source code, put it under a free software license,
avoid proprietary "IPs" at all cost and not even make a mention of them.
It is clear they do not wish to have fans embracing their work and only cares about money.

When raping a child or giving a nuke to a terrorist gets you less jail time than copyright infrigement (see aaron swartz),
you know something is wrong with your gov.

So lets put down our controllers and spend more time raping people,
instead of being actually creative and spending 7 years on a game that will get you in jail.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Something we can do is try to create a new character/set of enemies/graphics and universe similar to Mario but different, and try to generate lots of hype about it. It would have to be named in reference to Nintendo actions, though, like No Mario's Sky author did by renaming his game to No DMCA Sky. Super DMCA Brothers has a nice ring to it IMHO. Same of Legend/Tales of Deyhem-Cehay (with the D, M, C and A letters drawn bigger in the logo or in caps) or Legend of DMCA.

Anyway I am tempted to rename some of my calc games at some point to reflect that. The Legend of Zelda: Dark Link Quest would become either The Dark Curse like I almost did in 2005, or maybe Legend of Deyhem-Cehay, while Super Mario Smash Dance would become Super :walrii: Smash Dance.

Oh and while at it, we have :walrii: right? Why not use it? :P (although the fact he's 24 pixels large might be a problem)

Yuki

It's fun to get a DMCA
It's fun to get a DMCA

You can get yourself sued, you can have a good lawsuit,
They can do whatever they feel...

DMCA

* Juju runs

Yeah, the copyright laws in the US sucks and they should check that out. (Of course they'll never do that because capitalism.)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I doubt the laws will be changed. If they try then big companies will most likely try to block the move and I bet bribery will be involved, even if those companies have no plan to go full Nintendo mode. But the Internet is powerful if people wants to, and a big company's image can be totally ruined overnight if fanboys don't overshadow protesters. Heck, even the TI signing keys in 2009, despite the TI community being pretty much irrelevant at the time, still managed to make Wall Street Journal headlines after TI sent DMCA notices to those who published the private key.

kotu

No go the whole hog.

Matio CE...
Mateo CE...

I think Mateo CE
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk