Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(porting suggestion) Super Smash Bros & Pokémon for the CE

Started by Hayleia, February 10, 2016, 02:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 03, 2016, 10:14:47 PM
That's my problem! I can't think of anything I'd like that is small!  :banghead:
I want the whole pie in a bite!
Then order a smaller pie!
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

Quote from: aeTIos on March 04, 2016, 11:18:44 AM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 03, 2016, 10:14:47 PM
That's my problem! I can't think of anything I'd like that is small!  :banghead:
I want the whole pie in a bite!
Then order a smaller pie!
I'll need at least 100 to be satisfied.  :-|
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 03, 2016, 03:04:53 PM
Working on a Pokémon clone as your first project ever is definitively not a good idea. You have to start smaller at first to avoid biting more than you can chew.
With tons of motivation and as much free time, it is definitely possible, and I'm the proof of that, especially for Pokémon :P
But yeah, I really had tons of motivation that stacked over the years due to never having played Pokemon on a handheld, and I had real free time in huge amounts during high school holidays...

Also, Pokemon is indeed a really big project (that's why you need time and motivation) but not a hard one so you don't need skill at least :)
You'll just laugh at your own code in a few years if you start with that, but you'll do it anyway whatever your first project is :P

Dudeman313

I love how this forum can go off-topic just like a real conversation. :P

Anyway, @Hayleia , have you given any thought to rewritting Smash Bros with AI?
Or is time too much of an issue?
The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

No idea if time is an issue (really, there are week-ends I have no idea what to do and week-ends I have no idea how to do all the things I have to do -.-).
But an AI isn't really planned. I mean, if we were playing on Final Destination all the time (one platform, you always know what the CPU can or can't do), then I'd probably consider writing something stupid. But here, with moving platforms and weird stuff everywhere, I'd just manage to write an AI that commits suicide all the time. And even if it didn't, it wouldn't be challenging I guess.

Dudeman313

True, there's so many things/skills a CPU might be able to use, so it would be tough. :-/

But what about Topaz? It wouldn't be too hard to recreate what you already have in color, would it? And you can make :walrii: the 45th and rarest pokemon. ;D
The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

Yeah, Topaz is completely doable and probably easy to do (I mean, I did it when I had 0 skill so why not now ? :P). But I think I heard that TI-Boy is coming to the CE, so it kind of defeats the purpose of Topaz. And you may say "but there was TI Boy for monochrome z80 calcs so why Topaz there ?", but it was not available on all monochrome calcs and when it was available, it was not the best experience ever (due to the screen resolution not being adapted).

123outerme

I'm thinking about porting Smash Bros to the CSE, and once xLIBCE comes out (and assuming it is compatible), it should work with the CE.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dudeman313

Quote from: Hayleia on March 13, 2016, 08:01:05 PM
Yeah, Topaz is completely doable and probably easy to do (I mean, I did it when I had 0 skill so why not now ? :P). But I think I heard that TI-Boy is coming to the CE, so it kind of defeats the purpose of Topaz. And you may say "but there was TI Boy for monochrome z80 calcs so why Topaz there ?", but it was not available on all monochrome calcs and when it was available, it was not the best experience ever (due to the screen resolution not being adapted).
But that is only an excuse to finish Topaz first! ;)

Quote from: 123outerme on March 13, 2016, 09:09:43 PM
I'm thinking about porting Smash Bros to the CSE, and once xLIBCE comes out (and assuming it is compatible), it should work with the CE.
Sounds good to me. If it's fully compatible, then it'll be speedier on the CE.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, judging by Wal-Rush CE, the speed gains in hybrid Basic can be considerable compared to the CSE. O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 14, 2016, 04:34:50 PM
Yeah, judging by Wal-Rush CE, the speed gains in hybrid Basic can be considerable compared to the CSE. O.O
True. What's progress like on that BTW? Couldn't you also make an xLIBCE version when it comes out?
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't think there will be an xLIBC version fo Wal-Rush CE, but we never know. I mainly wanted to showcase what could be achieved with CE Textlib.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Oh. Well, you have kinda proved that CE Textlib can do way more than intended. If I did something like that, my parents would be scared and tell me to get rid of it.

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Do they really monitor all your actions 24/7? O.O

Now if only there was a way to password-protect and hide 8xg files...

Dudeman313

Not exactly, but when I showed them how I got my 8-colour greyscale picture of myself thru zStart on my monochrome calculator, they said it was cool, but not what the device was intended to do, so it should be deleted so I don't destroy the calculator.
The answer is "Sure."