Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Funny (and awesome) picture thread

Started by aetios, November 21, 2014, 12:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Myspace existed in France. But wait, what? Calc blogs in Skyblog? Oô Seriously? This blog network is so well known for bad french, fluo colors everywhere like it was geocities, animated ugly GIFs fricking everywhere and the well used "lache tes com'", which means in short "drop your comments". Im glad we finished with this era but well... It's been an hard way and time...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

The calc blogs at least were not as bad. They were just very hard to browse.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Skyblog was literally worse than Geocities. Glad no one use it anymore... Well Tumblr could be the same but the general design of both the interface and the provided themes are actually good.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

My main issues with the Skyblog-based calculator sites were:

-News articles appeared in reverse order (at least, reverse based on what would be normally logical). Instead of the newest to oldest, it was the oldest to newest news that got displayed. So we could easily think that the calc site in question is dead.

-Also, everything was located in the news. If you wanted to access the download section, it was probably news #16 or something. It was really weird.

I don't know if this changed, but here's an old TI-84+ Skyrock: http://ti83-84.skyrock.com/ . Honestly, I saw much worse on Skyblog before (and yes, Skyblog became Skyrock a long while ago). At least this site design is readable. It's just that it was weird to browse and not the right place to put a calc website.

I won't blame anybody who had a Skyblog-based calc site in 2008-09, though. Back then, free hosting providers that are reliable in long terms were pretty much impossible to find.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Skyblogs aren't the evil, it's the users who are. On this to blognyou can see a part of what made the skyblogs ridiculous, liketainbow text or ugly background ornbad color union ( seriously, black, grren and #F00 red!)

Quote∂ιтєѕ мσι ¢є qυє νσυѕ єи ρєиѕєz !! ℓє נєυ єѕт єитιєяяємєит ρяσgяαммé ραя α∂яιωєв
D: (and Hi Adriweb :p)

And that's not the worst! :p

Dream of Omnimaga

How did I not notice this before? O.O

This is in Mystic Quest Legend for the SNES (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in North America) when the giant tree starts moving to a different position. But as you scroll, notice the message made up with small trees in the background.

novenary

Yuki

Actually with Skyrock, I think you can actually put the posts in the order you want, so people try to make actual webpages with a blog engine with the obligatory rainbows everywhere and the first post often serves as the index of all the other posts saying what pages has what.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right, I didn't know that, because nobody seems to use those sorting options. >.<
Also Simplemachines team likes Geocities, Myspace and Skyblog it seems

Yuki

Thank God nobody seems to abuse it. Those more likely to abuse them have a Forumactif forum or something anyway.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Oh god that still exist? oO. Wait I can see the three button for the three things. Good morning 1999!

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed. I think if a member uses the move bbcode it won't work, though, because I think I disabled it. I kept glow enabled, though, since it can be useful sometimes for tutorial formating and stuff. But I can easily disable it if it gets abused (which was not the case on Omni). I think the reason why the glow tag isn't used often is because of how confusing it is, though.

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

It's called <marquee> tags. :P Of course the animated Walrii is a GIF, though, and hopefully it looks nice in the calc game. But yeah those HTML tags used to be rampant on some personal webpages a decade ago. >.<

novenary

I know what the marquee tag is. :P It was a joke at first but some people use it to make it look like they can do fancy stuff while it looks ugly. <_<