Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Specific Chrome setup wanted

Started by Hayleia, October 23, 2016, 07:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

5 seconds is nothing compared to 60 a few years ago, though O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

Yeah but 0 seconds is a better nothing :P

Also, in case c4ooo didn't see:
Hayleia   c4ooo, if you think I want "no history" because I'm paranoid, that's not the case at all
Hayleia   I don't care one bit if Chrome (or whatever) records my data
Hayleia   all I want is that everytime I do something for the second time, it's the same as the first time
Hayleia   so that's why I don't want purple links for example, because they were not purple the first time

WholeWheatBagels

You might be able to get some similar functionality from this Chrome flag (chrome://flags/#bypass-app-banner-engagement-checks) but it sounds like a cookie problem more than a history thing for first time popups or whatever.
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

Hayleia

Heh, I checked my "Firefox vs Chrome.txt" file on my PC to remind me of why I was switching to Chrome, and when I saw that Firefox was winning 6-1 (the only advantage of Chrome being speed), I switched back to Firefox, so everyone can just forget about this topic :P

And after removing some unnecessary extensions, Firefox now boots in 2 seconds. Which is still worse than 0 but better than 5. And while navigating, yeah, it's still slower than Chrome but just a bit, and the 6 lines of advantages perfectly justify that one drawback...

aetios

You're honestly a huge meme :D Have fun on fx :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

p2

glad your problem is more or less "solved" now ^^
are you willing to share the list with us? It might be relly interesting :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

gameblabla

Quote from: Hayleia on October 26, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
And after removing some unnecessary extensions, Firefox now boots in 2 seconds. Which is still worse than 0 but better than 5. And while navigating, yeah, it's still slower than Chrome but just a bit, and the 6 lines of advantages perfectly justify that one drawback...
lol, you did not told us that !

But if you're crazy enough, seriously try building your own optimised build of Firefox like so :
./configure  CFLAGS+="-march=native -Ofast" CXXFLAGS+="-march=native -Ofast" LDFLAGS="-flto"
Gentoo people said making your own build signicantly makes Firefox boot up faster.
(even more so if you disable some dependencies at configure time)
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Hayleia

Quote from: aeTIos on October 26, 2016, 03:58:10 PM
You're honestly a huge meme :D Have fun on fx :P
Not sure if I should take that nicely :P

Quote from: p2 on October 26, 2016, 04:07:01 PM
glad your problem is more or less "solved" now ^^
are you willing to share the list with us? It might be relly interesting :)
Well, now that I deleted them, I don't have them on the list :P
But I remember that one of them was VideoDownloadHelper. I stopped using it since it stopped working with Youtube, so there was no reason to keep it. And there was also TreeStyleTabs, which was funny and stuff, but not really necessary since I don't often have enough tabs to justify grouping them.

Quote from: gameblabla on October 26, 2016, 04:49:31 PM
lol, you did not told us that !
Well, now it sometimes boots in 2 seconds, sometimes in 3 and sometimes in 5 ???
Whatever. I actually can't count and Firefox wins 7-1, not 6-1 so I still stick with Firefox :P

But if you're crazy enough, seriously try building your own optimised build of Firefox like so :
./configure  CFLAGS+="-march=native -Ofast" CXXFLAGS+="-march=native -Ofast" LDFLAGS="-flto"
Gentoo people said making your own build signicantly makes Firefox boot up faster.
I may try that whenever I have 3 weeks of free time to compile it :P
Though I guess I'll have to compile it myself for every update?

novenary

There was something about compiling it with a modified version of sqlite as well. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=933260#p933260

Hayleia

Who wants disgusting stuff? I do.
Use the following bash script at startup to basically run a Firefox instance in the background, allowing all future windows (except if of a new instance) to open in 0 seconds.
Yes this is disgusting, I warned you. Even the script still has echoes that no one reads lol. I don't care, at least Firefox has a solution to its problem unlike Chrome.

waitandhideff () {
i="0"
while [ $i -lt 1000 ]; do
i=$[$i+1]
WINDOW=$(xdotool search --classname Navigator)
if [ -z "$WINDOW" ];then
echo "nothing"
else
sleep 1
xdotool windowunmap $WINDOW
break
fi
done
}
waitandhideff &
firefox &

aetios

absolutely disgusting, but a nice hack ;D
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

Nice one, I actually auto start my browser and keep it open all the time so I've never really cared about startup times.

p2

I can't believe how much work you put in these 2 seconds of startup time ;D They must really annoy you xD
But good work Hayleia  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)