Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LD Studios

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 11, 2015, 06:00:47 AM
Quote from: 123outerme on November 10, 2015, 08:16:21 PM
I haven't heard of 3 bits mode before, what exactly is it? Also for powerful attacks (like endgame type of stuff), I think I'll have inverting colors.

Also thanks to the mods for hooking me up with a sweet sub-forum! ;D

No problem :) and for the 8 bits mode, I mean real(0,3,VALUE). Setting value to 1 will turn the screen into 8 colors mode (only cyan, magenta, blue, red, yellow, limegreen, black and white will be used). This can be handy for extra animations, but that mode doesn't work in emulators.
Ok, thanks! I think it'd look really cool for certain animations but I'd have to test it strictly on-calc.
Quote from: LD Studios on November 11, 2015, 01:40:52 PM

* LD Studios runs
Wow, that looks really good! Could I use that? All I have to do is change the text from red to blue and it'd be perfect! Do you mind if I borrow the robed character sprite also? That also looks better than mine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

LD Studios

Quote from: 123outerme on November 11, 2015, 05:41:59 PM

* LD Studios runs
Wow, that looks really good! Could I use that? All I have to do is change the text from red to blue and it'd be perfect! Do you mind if I borrow the robed character sprite also? That also looks better than mine.
Feel free to use both and let me know if you want me to draw up some other sprites for this project

123outerme

Quote from: LD Studios on November 11, 2015, 05:56:34 PM

* LD Studios runs
Feel free to use both and let me know if you want me to draw up some other sprites for this project
That's a very generous request, thanks! I might have some work for you in the future but I'll have to see. I'll at least just send the tileset to you and make sure it's up to your standards :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 11, 2015, 06:00:47 AM
Quote from: 123outerme on November 10, 2015, 08:16:21 PM
I haven't heard of 3 bits mode before, what exactly is it? Also for powerful attacks (like endgame type of stuff), I think I'll have inverting colors.

Also thanks to the mods for hooking me up with a sweet sub-forum! ;D

No problem :) and for the 8 bits mode, I mean real(0,3,VALUE). Setting value to 1 will turn the screen into 8 colors mode (only cyan, magenta, blue, red, yellow, limegreen, black and white will be used). This can be handy for extra animations, but that mode doesn't work in emulators.
Ok, thanks! I think it'd look really cool for certain animations but I'd have to test it strictly on-calc.
Actually, an example of the 3 bits mode in action would be First Fantasy battle transitions, where I switch back and forth between 3 and 16 bits mode.

* LD Studios runs
Looks really good LD Studios!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Unfortunately I've hit a rut. The program size is too large, so when it tries to load a map, I get an ERR; MEM. I thought that DCSE ran the program directly from ROM, but I guess it copies it to RAM. All of the features and one world are currently in place. Weighing in at just over 20k bytes, it's too bloated for its own good. I could probably remove a great chunk of it if I create one extra subprogram, but I really would rather not. If there is any solution other than that, I would prefer that one instead. I might need help optimizing, and will either edit this post or create a new one if my reply wasn't the last.

EDIT:
So, I've had to cut the ability to access your items within the battle menu. I couldn't even launch the game to test it, for one. And it was a pretty unnecessary feature that removing adds unintended depth. You'll always have to think about your HP, now.
Unfortunately, I will most likely have to cut other small features like that if I want to fit in the content that I want. As of right now, the program is 18705 bytes, including the arbitrary header bytes. It's that large, and I only have one world fully completed. And speaking of completing one full world, I will be releasing a demo version! Only the first world will be available.

Dream of Omnimaga

Unfortunately, in BASIC you have no choice but to split your games into sub-programs when they get larger. Trying to restrict yourself to just 1 sub-program will do yourself no good. The only solution for you would be to put the menu and battle code into separate programs, and perhaps the walking/map loading engine as well. That way, when the menu is running, battles don't take any RAM. That's what I had to do with Illusiat series, otherwise anything above Illusiat 9 would never have been possible.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Well this is quite amazing! I wish I could figure tile maps out and then Walrus Adventires may look half as nice. Great job outerme. I can wait to see something playable!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 15, 2015, 06:00:57 AM
Unfortunately, in BASIC you have no choice but to split your games into sub-programs when they get larger. Trying to restrict yourself to just 1 sub-program will do yourself no good. The only solution for you would be to put the menu and battle code into separate programs, and perhaps the walking/map loading engine as well. That way, when the menu is running, battles don't take any RAM. That's what I had to do with Illusiat series, otherwise anything above Illusiat 9 would never have been possible.
I'll try to keep the size down, but I may have to split them up eventually.
Quote from: Unicorn on November 15, 2015, 10:03:42 PM
Well this is quite amazing! I wish I could figure tile maps out and then Walrus Adventires may look half as nice. Great job outerme. I can wait to see something playable!
Something playable, eh? Sounds like something I can do. I've attached the download to the beta in the OP. Let me know if anything is messed up.

(The name STEVYP is in honor of my school's marching band coming to an end. My nickname was Stevie P)

Unicorn

Welp, I'm trying that out! :D
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way is the top text a placeholder? Or will it say Plains Plains in the final version as well? :P

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 16, 2015, 09:50:43 PM
By the way is the top text a placeholder? Or will it say Plains Plains in the final version as well? :P
It will say that in the final version, unless I come up with another name I think is better. It's supposed to be a really terrible play-on-words :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok cuz it seemed weird IMHO. Perhaps you should make the game full screen unless you have anything relevant and easy to understand to add there. Maybe the current map location?

EDIT: @123outerme I finally tried the game and love what I see so far. My suggestions:

-There is a bug when the battle ends. The commands menu appears for half a second before the experience does
-There should be a Save and COntinue option so that we don't have to reload the game everytime we save.

Also, I notice I have Weak Armor in the items menu. Is it equipped by default?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 17, 2015, 09:56:52 PM
Ah ok cuz it seemed weird IMHO. Perhaps you should make the game full screen unless you have anything relevant and easy to understand to add there. Maybe the current map location?

EDIT: @123outerme I finally tried the game and love what I see so far. My suggestions:

-There is a bug when the battle ends. The commands menu appears for half a second before the experience does
-There should be a Save and COntinue option so that we don't have to reload the game everytime we save.

Also, I notice I have Weak Armor in the items menu. Is it equipped by default?
@DJ Omnimaga
First of all, trying to quote this on mobile, I accidentally -1'd it. Sorry about that, if you're wondering. I'll +1 it after the 8 hours are up.
*for the first bug, I am aware of it and currently looking into it. Thanks.
*I'll probably be able to, but I'll try to implement save + continue.
*For the armor thing, I have put in the code to be able to equip it but it appears it hasn't worked. I'll see what went wrong. It isn't equipped by default, you have to press 2nd when the arrow is on the armor and it should work.

Thanks for testing, I'm glad you like it! I'll be sure to deliver more of this kind of work as I progress.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually for the downvote, @Streetwalrus could remove both it and the upvote so it won't count towards both totals, but I can understand that sometimes this accident occurs, since it's quite common. :P And I see about the armor. I actually tried 2nd out of reflex, to no avail.

By the way, do you plan to try implementing the gradient thing?