Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nintendo Switch console

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 20, 2016, 02:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tr1p1ea

OK, thinking about it more I'm starting to warm up to the switch.

Nintendo have always had one thing in their favour and that is of course their games.

I guess the main thing is that you can own all of the phones and tablets in the world, but you wont be able to play Nintendo games on them. This may be their saving grace.

I am super interested in the hardware however.

Dream of Omnimaga

@tr1p1ea also tablet controls are absolute c. Try speedrunning Super Mario World on a phone emulator without dying more than 6 times in the first castle.

But they need to release good games early.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

Agree, it is annoying playing on a tablet with touch controls.

I wonder if this will be pocket sized tho?

aetios

Someone calculated that the screen will be 6.5 inches, so it's not really pocket sized (well unless you have really large pockets).
ceci n'est pas une signature

Yuki

Heh, that is true, part of the reason why Nintendo is still successful is their franchises like Mario and such. Mario is the flagship franchise, so, unless things goes wrong, you'll surely see some sort of Mario game in the launch games. Speaking of which, the list of companies who supports the Switch seems pretty hefty compared to before, guess the CPU and GPU is on par with Nintendo's competitors. Some of them produce games for Xbox and Playstation who seems too CPU-intensive for Nintendo, kinda like the Skyrim we saw in the trailer. That or we're seeing a boom in video game companies.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Btw the console will not read 3DS and Wii U carts/discs. I seriously hope that there is a way to transfer games over, so that if you already have a disc-based WIi U or 3DS cart-based game installed on your older console, that you can download it for free digitally on the eShop. It would suck if we had to buy the same games twice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

So this is not related, but Just Dance 2017 has been confirmed for the Wii and Wii U. COnsidering they reprinted some Wii titles a few months ago, it seems like they're not letting the Wii die. It would be funny if Just Dance 2018 came out on the Wii, Wii U and Switch like FIFA 14 did with the PS2, PS3 and PS4. But again, maybe they'll do like Rodea and simply bundle both Wii and Wii U discs together as limited edition.

GalacticPirate

Well, I'm really hyped by the console. We know that the Switch will be powered by an Nvidia Tegra X2 with Pascal architecture, so it's on par with other 8th-gen consoles (I'm considering Wii=GC= 6th gen and Wii U=very, very late 7th-gen) such as XB1S and PS4Slim (honestly, I hate PS4Pro/XboxScorpio since their power is definitely USELESS since there won't be any Pro/Scorpio-exclusive titles, plus I basically don't like Sony+Microsoft consoles because of being just underpowered PCs with no mouse, no keyboard, a constroller and an HDMI cable) So nevermind, the power shouldn't be a problem. For now a clash has begun between those who predict a success and those who predict a complete fail. I just think we shouildn't try to predict that with only a 3-minute vid. Remember 2010-2011 when everyone was saying 3DS was ready to fail and that PS Vita would be a success ? Today 3DS has sold half as much as the NDS, which is absolutely awesome, and PS Vita has sold even worse than the Wii U :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 25, 2016, 08:19:46 AM
So this is not related, but Just Dance 2017 has been confirmed for the Wii and Wii U. COnsidering they reprinted some Wii titles a few months ago, it seems like they're not letting the Wii die. It would be funny if Just Dance 2018 came out on the Wii, Wii U and Switch like FIFA 14 did with the PS2, PS3 and PS4. But again, maybe they'll do like Rodea and simply bundle both Wii and Wii U discs together as limited edition.
inb4 titles come out both on physical discs and on Virtual Console
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I am actually curious about how large the game cases will be for the NX. Will they be the same size as PS3 despite the use of a small cart? It would definitively be weird if they included a disc and cart in the same package, though. And yeah it would be funny if a recently-released Wii title came out on the Virtual Console XD.

Also STV the 3DS originally failed, but Nintendo decided to decrease the price from $250 to $170 soon after launch and this, combined with the release of big hits, led to a skyrocketing of sales and the success it is today. I think the 3DS still sold less than the DS by far, though, but it's definitively successful. This is what happened with the Gamecube and what should have happened with the Wii U, but sadly the big expensive gamepad prevented this. Hopefully, the lack of a disc drive makes it easier for Nintendo to drop the price.

I still suspect that once the NX comes out, Nintendo will discontinue the current Wii U bundle, release a firmware update that allows using the console without the big gamepad then release the Wii U with just the pro gamepad or a Wiimote. I hope that if they do that that they don't discontinue online services nor make new versions of the WIi u offline-only like they did with the Wii Mini, though. They say the gamepad production costs are $79, meaning that if it was removed, then they could easily slash the Wii U prices by $50-70.

Dream of Omnimaga

If the rumors are true, then it seems like Nintendo has managed to keep the Switch production costs to a minimum by ditching the expensive Wii U gamepad. Apparently it will retail for $329.99 in Canadian dollars, $249.99 USD and 199.99 euros. In comparison, the Wii U launched at $300 USD and $350 CAD. Not bad. Nintendo really needs to keep the prices as low as possible and sell as many softwares as possible. I also hope that this console makes it easy for indie developers to develop games.

I will probably wait a little bit before buying the console, to see if they'll offer a bundle for the same price with a game or something.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-uk-retailer-game-to-price-nintendo-switch-from-199-99/

It also appears that Wii U has ceased production in Japan and possibly the rest of the world and that everything produced in 2016 has already been shipped to retailers. So the Switch is definitively a Wii U replacement.  On another sad note: It seems that Breath of the Wild will be delayed due to the English localization taking more time than planned: https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/rumor-breath-of-the-wild-will-not-be-released-in-march/

Dream of Omnimaga

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U vs Nintendo Switch comparison (frame rate)

gameblabla

Bad news guys, The Nintendo Switch is VERY weak !
It's not powered by the Tegra X2, but by a Tegra X.
An underclocked Tegra X.
Even worse, the GPU speed is halved by 2 in portable mode.

https://games.slashdot.org/story/16/12/20/1449205/nintendo-switch-uses-nvidia-tegra-x1-soc-clock-speeds-outed

WHY WHY WHY NINTENDO, THEY HAVE NOT LEARNED NOTHING FROM THE WII U !

Despite this, it's impressive to see Zelda running on such low-end hardware.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh darn... thankfully there's no lag in Zelda but still, I seriously hope that this time, they'll lower the price as a compromise. They can't charge $350-400 for last-gen hardware.

tr1p1ea

So Nintendo is sticking with the ancient hardware, no 3rd party software sales and short life-span for console business model? Interesting.