Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Rocket League 84+

Started by kegwaan, January 16, 2016, 12:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kegwaan

You may have seen me say in the IRC that I'm stopping work on Fallout 84+. Why? Because I don't know Axe well enough to finish it, and I felt like it was going nowhere. But, I've wanted to start on another project, one that will be a lot easier, while not being too easy. And my friend helped me find the answer, which you probably know from the title of this topic: Rocket League 84+!

I hate to be the guy that never finishes anything, so I'm going to get at least a playable version of this out before I get lazy and slow production.

I've already started, and I've got the basic movement of sprites done. This version will be top-down view and 2-player, with only two cars. Player 1 uses the arrow keys to move, and Player 2 uses the numpad (8 = Up, 2 = Down, 6 = Right, 4 = Left). I might change it eventually so that Left/Right changes the rotation of the car, and Up/Down will move the car forwards/backwards. For now, Left = Move left, Right = Move right, etc.

I think that the hardest part of this is doing the physics of the ball. Actually, now that I think about it, the hardest part about this will probably be staying motivated to work on this, or finding time to work on it. If you guys wanna help, you can do so by bugging me over and over to finish the game.

Sreenshot of a very, very simple start to the program:

I've also attached the files to this topic, you can test them (THETAROCKTLG is the source). I know, they need some optimization, and I probably screwed up some of the programming a bit. But it'll get better.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting, will it be like a sports game but with cars pushing a ball around? Also sorry to hear about Fallout 84+. I hope you finish it when you gain more experience, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kegwaan

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 16, 2016, 06:41:58 AM
Interesting, will it be like a sports game but with cars pushing a ball around? Also sorry to hear about Fallout 84+. I hope you finish it when you gain more experience, though.
Yeah, Rocket League is basically football (soccer) but with cars. It's actually a lot of fun, it's 20 USD on Steam.

c4ooo

Yea, starting with a big project is not very advised :/
i actualy rewrote Lazer II, my first game in axe as i learned more about axe and the z80 cpu and such ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: kegwaan on January 16, 2016, 01:10:25 PM
Yeah, Rocket League is basically football (soccer) but with cars. It's actually a lot of fun, it's 20 USD on Steam.
Interesting. I remember a SNES game where you played American football in space. It was mode-7 and hard to control, though.

Will your game have AI/luck-controlled goaltenders?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kegwaan

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 18, 2016, 08:29:24 AM
Quote from: kegwaan on January 16, 2016, 01:10:25 PM
Interesting. I remember a SNES game where you played American football in space. It was mode-7 and hard to control, though.

Will your game have AI/luck-controlled goaltenders?
Maybe, but first I'm going to focus on making it two-player. One of the reasons I wanted to make this (other than it being an easy jump into axe) is that I wanted to pay it with my friends. But who knows, maybe I will add some AI.
Also, do you remember what the SNES game was called? It seems interesting.

kegwaan

I added to the program a bit, added a title screen, and made the program show the ball and goals.
The balls and goals don't do anything yet.

(I don't know why the car on the right is moving, it only happens on the emulator)

To-Do:
Collision detection (car to car, car to wall, car to ball, ball to wall)
Scoring
End screen

Eventually will do:
Better graphics (bigger cars w/ more details, grayscale, scrolling map)
Add more cars
Possibly multiplayer with two calcs

I attached the (updated) source, but when you try to compile it, you will get either and Undefined error or an Illegal Token Error. So, I removed the title screen from the actual program, it is currently in a separate program. RL is the Title screen source, RLTITLE is the actual title screen.

Dudeman313

This is pretty cool so far! :w00t: :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Good to see progress. About that title screen, I can't read the text in the screenshot, though.

alexgt

I want to try them out when I have time, I can't even see the pics at school (they have imgur blocked) <_<
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX