Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nintendo Switch console

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 20, 2016, 02:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

From Twitter, Nintendo's newest console, codenamed the NX, will be the Nintendo Switch!

QuoteBe among the first to discover #NX. Watch the Preview Trailer at 7am PT/10am ET!
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/788900063833493504

Can't wait for a summary of what's to come (hoping they actually leak info about the console hardware/design/what it is). I myself expect sub-par hardware, but much better portability than the Wii U (in terms of not having to be close to the Wii U to play on a gamepad), but who knows?

Update: They released a video of it and it looks very promising, featuring a tablet with detachable controllers (which can be used for two separate players), with the possibility to attach the tablet part to a dock station so that the Switch can be used as an home console.

It also supports cartridges similar to the 3DS and PS Vita, according to the video, and an advanced NVIDIA custom Tegra processor. Also, it appears to be running Mario Kart 8 and the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, meaning it will most likely be backwards-compatible with the Wii U game library, at least in digital form.

UPDATE: They also seem to have some promising third-party support so far. Note, for example, that ATLUS, Tokyo RPG Factory, Square-Enix and Bandai Namco are listed, which opens the door for JRPGs, which have been rare on Nintendo consoles since 1996. See https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/789155375526260736 for a list.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GalacticPirate

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

Pros:

• Uses SD cards instead of cds/dvds, which means it can fit alot more storage with little to no loading times in games (granted the hardware is acceptable, which AFAIK they haven't released the specs on this thing yet) Scratch that, it's powered by NVIDIA
    QuoteNintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world's top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

Nintendo SwitchThe Nintendo Switch's gaming experience is also supported by fully custom software, including a revamped physics engine, new libraries, advanced game tools and libraries. NVIDIA additionally created new gaming APIs to fully harness this performance. The newest API, NVN, was built specifically to bring lightweight, fast gaming to the masses.

Gameplay is further enhanced by hardware-accelerated video playback and custom software for audio effects and rendering.

We've optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases. This includes custom operating system integration with the GPU to increase both performance and efficiency.

NVIDIA gaming technology is integrated into all aspects of the new Nintendo Switch home gaming system, which promises to deliver a great experience to gamers.
  • Console games on the go... Virtual Console & hacking aside, it's pretty much what most people wanted anyways

Cons:

• The portable part (screen & controllers attached) looks longer & (possibly) taller/bulkier than the 3DS/3DSXL, so sticking this thing in your pocket might not work unless you have cargo pants or something
  • Speaking of controllers, WTF DAT SHAPE?!?!?  Why does Nintendo insist on still using circled rectangles?  My hands cramp the f*** up playing Mario Kart 7 on my 3DSXL, I can already tell this too will be an issue.  Also, unless you spend the extra cash on a pro controller, enjoy your "toddler size" default controller.  It looks like a mini-Wii remote, and anyone with big thumbs (including me) will tell you how annoying that s*** is.

Otherwise, I'll be doing what I do everytime a new console/handheld comes out.... wait a year after it's release, and then depending on the amount of games on it that i would be interested in playing*, I'll buy it for $100 less

*It's this fact alone that is the reason why I don't own a PS3-4/360/XBONE and why i still stick to retro s***.  The only "newer" console i have besides the 3DSXL is the regular Wii.

aetios

I'm really hyped up, it looks great.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting name nonetheless. I thought it would be the NX but it looks like they followed their tradition of using code names then switching to official names.

Anyway it seems like what I thought was right: It can act as portable handheld and home console and the tablet part has detachable controller add-ons. Anyway the pro gamepad seems nice because I always liked the Xbox One style joystick layout, but I assume the pro gamepad will be sold separately and that the default will be the detachable one thing. The good thing with the detachable gamepads is that we can basically use both as separate gamepads, so unless they're sold separately then the console virtually comes with two gamepads :)

Anyway I like the idea so far and it seems like they went for better hardware at least. As for the price I guess we'll see. I definitively hope that the design/hardware choice doesn't force Nintendo to keep the price high yeears after its release like they did with the Wii U due to the gamepad.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

It seems they're gonna have some pretty good third-party support. Notice ATLUS, Tokyo RPG Factory, Square-Enix and Bandai Namco, which published many JRPGs. Maybe we'll see a comeback of that genre on the Switch?

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/789155375526260736

gameblabla

QuoteIt seems they're gonna have some pretty good third-party support. Notice ATLUS, Tokyo RPG Factory, Square-Enix and Bandai Namco, which published many JRPGs. Maybe we'll see a comeback of that genre on the Switch?
That means nothing tho. Remember the Wii U ?
They also claimed to be backed up with plently of third-party developers and all of them left the Wii U quickly after its release.
You have to keep in mind the fact that the Switch is less powerful than even Xbox One, despite the use of the Tegra X2.
So their games, when ported quickly, will not run smoothly and they might need to be some efforts to make it run smoothly.
So far, i'm pessimestic.

It's a good thing they no longer focus on kids (sorry, that was annoying) because honestly,
nintendo is not gonna get sales from them anymore.

For me tho, this means i should buy all those Wii/Wii U games as well as a Wii U if i can.
It's the right time to buy a Wii U. (and get it for cheap)

I hate how closed their consoles are tho and seeing what they are doing to fans,
they haven't changed a bit.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Depends. Many third-party devs dropped their support for the Wii U because of poor sales. The lower-end hardware didn't help either. If sales for the Switch are much higher then I bet they might still release spinoffs of popular PS4/Xbox One franchises, though, as they did on the Gamecube and Wii. For example, unless the hardware is really poor, I could see World of Final Fantasy being ported to the Nintendo Switch, as it seems to be the type of game that would cater to its fans.

tr1p1ea

1) The 'hipster' fad is over marketing guys
2) It's complete lack of power will once again be its downfall when the next generation is out
3) The detachable controllers are a strange idea and don't really add anything worthwhile imo
4) instead of having both home console and portable business streams they are now consolidating into 1 line - If it fails they go under completely ... very weird business decision
5) ONCE AGAIN FOR THE 3RD (READ: THIRD!!!!) - THE THIRD *GENERATION* IN A ROW WE ARE NOT GETTING A DEDICATED ZELDA GAME. INSTEAD WE ARE GETTING A *LAST GENERATION* PORT TOO LATE. FFS!

aetios

Valid concerns, @tr1p1ea, although I don't think that it'll be that bad. Nintendo's exclusvie titles have always been a push for their consoles/handhelds, with huge names like Mario, Pokemon, Metroid and the like. I think that the controllers are quite interesting, but they also sort of look uncomfortable to play with for a while.
I think the main make or break for this console/handheld is other functionality. Think stuff like normal tablet functions, internet browsing, watching movies. I also think they'll add Streetpass functionality.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

To be fair @tr1p1ea , while you have valid points, some will also depend of the game selection Nintendo has to offer when the console comes out. To reply to each of your points:

@1: What do you mean by hipster fad in the case of Nintendo Switch?

@2: IMHO it will depend of the games. If all it comes with is Nintendo Switch Sports, LEGO Something and a bunch of crappy movie-based titles, then yes it will fail badly. However, if the console comes out with plenty of first party titles and have a decent amount announced to be released soon after the release, then I think the console might work better.

@3: I personally like it. What if someone wants to play Mario Kart 8 on the back of his parents car or in the bus? You can't do that with the Wii U because you need to be under 8m away from the console. That's unless the Nintendo Switch has the same problem, which I doubt. Also, there is the fact that when you buy the console, you'll have two gamepads for the price of one. I haven't seen this happen since the NES came out. Two controllers for the price of one, whereas on the XBone and PS4 you only get one and have to spend an extra $80 in order to get a second gamepad.

@4: I agree about that. I hope the Switch is much more powerful than some people claim. I seriously doubt it's worse than the PS Vita, considering the PSVita can only do 480p and has lag when running some titles that just look like early PS3/360 games, yet the Wii U could run Mario Kart 8 with no lag. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario and Zelda on the Playstation 5 and Xbox Scorpio in 5 years, because I think if the Switch fails then Nintendo will exit the console market and simply become a third-party game publisher like Sega did after the Dreamcast failed.

@5: To be fair about that, I think they want the game to sell no matter if people can afford the new console or not. Most early PS4 and Xbox One games did that too. But in this case it will depend of point 2. I seriously hope that this time around we will get another Zelda on this console too, like the Wii with Skyward Sword.

Also @tr1p1ea to reply to your comments on IRC, I think you are confusing the PSP with PS Vita. The PSP never failed at all: It sold 80 millions units. It's the PS Vita that failed (at least, outside Japan)

Yuki

Nintendo always try something novel each generation and it always seem to work. They're not like Studio Ghibli where they were on the brink of bankruptcy with each movie, or Microsoft and Sony who seems to more or less always make the same console but with updated CPUs and more features because it works, they want to actually change how the game is played and propose novel ways to play.

Anyway, one thing is sure, they are pretty good at R&D.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN