Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Super Mario 84

Started by annoyingcalc, October 08, 2015, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 23, 2015, 04:11:42 AM
The biggest slowdown is that I have somethings completely redraw the map. I will be adding a simple function to draw the tile at a certain position to fix this.
Example of this is when an enemy falls upside down off the screen, the blocks behind him need to be redrawn.

Mario's physics have a bit to do with it as well
I think you missed part of what i was saying :P
You should have a separate buffer that only has the visable tilemap on it. It is in this buffer that you do your partial redraw stuff. Each frame you copy that to the main buffer, and then draw the entities onto the main buffer. The tile map should be fully drawn (onto the secondary buffer) only once, right before the game loop, or if a block changes or something (even then you don't have to redraw the whole tilemap) ;)

annoyingcalc

Yeah, what happened was that I haven't updated the enemy code to do that. I have been focusing on better collision detection, because I changed how the map is stored.

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, will Mario have an extra white outline when walking on dark backgrounds?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

c4ooo

Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 23, 2015, 07:41:54 PM
Yeah, what happened was that I haven't updated the enemy code to do that. I have been focusing on better collision detection, because I changed how the map is stored.
Ahh ok ;)

annoyingcalc

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 24, 2015, 08:23:17 PM
By the way, will Mario have an extra white outline when walking on dark backgrounds?
Once I implement them, yes

semiprocoder

Do you plan for this game to be compatible with the worlds from Super Mario 2.0, and maybe adding new worlds with some new features?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

JWinslow23

Quote from: semiprocoder on October 25, 2015, 12:49:24 AM
Do you plan for this game to be compatible with the worlds from Super Mario 2.0, and maybe adding new worlds with some new features?
In keeping with the inspiration of Project M, maybe you can add Yoshi? :P

annoyingcalc

I'm not sure about levels from Super Mario 2.0. If I do add it, it'll be probably be after it's released.

As for Yoshi, most likely not.

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe there could be some converter or something once the game is done so that old Mario levels work. you would need to ensure that the new graphics works well with the levels, though, and obviously some might no longer be beatable due to physics, but that's fine since people can simply create new ones.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

The biggest problem would be that this supports vertical scrolling while Sam Heald's does not.

Update:Working on the physics (the cause of the program looking slow)

Edit:As for a level editor, the only thing that needs to be done is the ability to name the levels.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah but can your engine detect maximum level height or is it a fixed height for every level? Sam Heald's Mario levels would just need to be converted with extra rows of tiles (empty).

Also if speed is an issue, would frame skipping fix some of it? (eg only rendering every 8 frame)

semiprocoder

Do you plan to have bullets in your mario game?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

annoyingcalc

Currently, it's a fixed height of 16 blocks.  Speed isn't the issue, it's the physics making it look slow. As for bullets, yes  they are planned along with koopas.

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah this is why I insisted to ensure that physic isn't overly complex (or at least not as complex as Zedd). i hope you can overcome the speed problems, though.