Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Platformer Game Character Sprite Contest!!! :P

Started by Dudeman313, January 25, 2016, 11:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong place, but here it is! E37 from Omnimaga and I are making a platformer game called "Slime."
I created some character sprites, but I'm not sure if I like them.
All Stuff for this game can be found here: http://www.piskelapp.com/user/5817247805210624/public

Here are the RULES
- The Character Sprites must look cool and appropriate for a platformer game with no story so far.
- The sprites must be no larger than 8x8 pixels, but can be any dimensions 8x8 or smaller.
- Sprites must be posted here for all to see by 2/5/16.

EXTRA INFO
- The character can currently use a shield(which just looks like a bubble around it)
- The character will be able to use a blaster of some sort.
- :walrii: s are accepted.
- The character, in the game, is almost always either jumping or falling.
- BEST place to MAKE SPRITES ONLINE: http://piskelapp.com/
- This game is for the TI-84+ and is MONOCHROME(Ooooo! A challenge!)
- This game is in Axe; If you win, put your sprites in Axe.
Go HERE FOR A SCREENIE OF THE GAME SO FAR: https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1026.msg30530#msg30530

Keep these things in mind as you sprite!

If you are ABSOLUTELY SURE you can commit to this project, pledge to do so by posting below.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

I can't guarantee I can pledge to it, but that sounds like fun.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

so here is walking, shooting, and walking while shooting going left and right ;)
they are saved at 16fps
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dudeman313

Cool! But as I probably should have added to the 1st post; this is a game where you jump a lot. Can you make jumping and falling sprites?
The answer is "Sure."

alexgt

Since the sprites are so small, jumping sprite really aren't worth it, just make the character's legs not move when he is in the air and it still looks great (and saves a lot of coding :P)

Dudeman313

I dunno; If I can contact Deep Thought, maybe I can get the sprites he made for Blast Labs, which is now in the Discontinued section of Omnimaga.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

You could PM him on Omnimaga. I don't know if he checks his PMs, though. Or if he doesn't reply, then you could add @ before his name in a post on Omni (preferably his Blast Labs topic) and ask him there. You have to be patient, though.

As for myself I don't have sprites that would fit your needs I think. If anything, most are several years old and would only be two frames.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

I've tried to contact him, and I'm now awaiting a response.
As for your sprites, I'd like to see them. If you have any monochrome sprites at all, maybe I could pull some ideas from them.

@SiphonicSugar said he might do this if he has the time; He's also developing an RPG.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok so sadly it looks like all sprites I made back then only have 1 frame in each direction or walking frames. No shooting, jumping and stuff. I also don't have time to make new ones right now. :( I won't participate to the contest since those sprites are so ancient, but here are the sprite sheets anyway if you need sprites (made between 2003 and 2008):

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Dudeman313

Alright. Thanks anyway. I don't even know if I can develop this game anymore as I was never the original person working on it; I was a beta tester and he offered to teach me to code in Axe. The Axe tutorial failed on Omni, but teaching me now would be useless as now I only have a TI-84+ CE.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

That sucks. Was E37 the original author? Is he part of calculator forums anymore?

Dudeman313

Yes. He's only on Omnimaga as far as I know, and he last contacted me sometime last week.
The answer is "Sure."

Araidia

I'll try to make a sprite for this contest, but I can't be sure because I'm bound to be busy or procrastinate.
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Araidia

So I finally made the sprites...
The file names should be self-explanatory and I put the sprites at 4 FPS
Things that I still have to do(because I'm having trouble on them):
  • The falling/jumping sprite
  • The shield bubble
I might edit the sprites to make them better if I have the time to.
Can the colors be any combination of black and white or does it have to be middle gray(50% black and 50% white) like I did?
Is this considered as a double post?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard