Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

X3D - A 3D engine for TI68k & Nspire Calculators

Started by catastropher, June 27, 2015, 02:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh a download! I'll have to try it out when I have time. Still need to try Reuben 3 >.<

Also here's a texture set (the brown stuff is walls and the green stuff with diagonal lines is the top of cliffs):

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

catastropher

Hey DJ, check this out:

[spoiler=Thing DJ should check out][/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-83+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-92+, TI-89 Titanium
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

Dream of Omnimaga

That is nice. :D there should be an easter egg with a TV with Walrii in it
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ztortat

O.O i am dying but sadly i don't have any supported calculators. :(

Dream of Omnimaga

I hope @catastropher still plans to post some updates to the forums in the future. I noticed this project is still being updated regularly, but now he only posts updates on Github :(

catastropher

Hey guys! Sorry for the long hiatus, I had to take a break from the project for about two months for school/work. But, I have a number of exciting things in the works:

• XBuilder, X3D's level editor is in the works! You can already do basic level editing (I rewrote the entire thing yesterday)
  • You can load models in the .obj file format (I loaded in the Utah Teapot!) but right now you can only render them in wireframe. Solid will come soon
  • Matrices are being upgraded to be 4x4 instead of 3x3. This means you'll be able to make things like joints and robotic arms
  • A better lightmap compiler that uses raytcasting instead of shadow mapping to get more accurate lights
  • Major code refactoring for cleaner code :D
  • A new combined lightmap/texture renderer that does perspective-correct texture mapping every 16 pixels
  • Several other improvements lol

XBuilder is my main focus for the moment because it's hard to test things without a real level. Too bad I suck at level design  :'( Oh, and one of my classmates has expressed interest in joining the project so I may not be totally alone in working on it anymore!

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 21, 2016, 07:22:36 AM
I hope @catastropher still plans to post some updates to the forums in the future. I noticed this project is still being updated regularly, but now he only posts updates on Github :(
Sorry!!! I got really busy with life for a while; also I worry that sometimes I post too much and people get sick of hearing about it haha

Quote from: ztortat on December 20, 2016, 10:39:40 PM
O.O i am dying but sadly i don't have any supported calculators. :(
Hi! X3D runs on PC as well if you still want to try it (though things are in the process of being upgraded so the test project doesn't do too much at the moment)! As always, if anyone want to join the team, I can always use help with X3D, XBuilder, or soon to be XPortal :D At some point, I'll need to find people good at making Portal levels, though that's still a bit of a ways off haha
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-83+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-92+, TI-89 Titanium

Dream of Omnimaga

Aaah I see. You shouldn't worry about if you are posting too much updates or not on the forums. People generally like updates :). Of course it can take a while before people get time to reply so sometimes you might have to post twice in a row but for project updates it's fine. I'm glad at least that this project is still alive :)

XBuilder seems interesting. I wonder how easy it will be to use? Because I always had issues understanding how 3D level editors worked. Just with F-Zero X it takes me 3 hours to get a semi decent custom track to work >.<

By the way, what are the current compatible platforms?

catastropher

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 22, 2016, 08:49:33 AM
Aaah I see. You shouldn't worry about if you are posting too much updates or not on the forums. People generally like updates :). Of course it can take a while before people get time to reply so sometimes you might have to post twice in a row but for project updates it's fine. I'm glad at least that this project is still alive :)
Awesome! I'll be sure to post my progress more often again :)

XBuilder seems interesting. I wonder how easy it will be to use? Because I always had issues understanding how 3D level editors worked. Just with F-Zero X it takes me 3 hours to get a semi decent custom track to work >.<
My goal is to make XBuilder really easy to use. Here's a screenie of me making a quick level:

[spoiler=XBuilder][/spoiler]

As I've mentioned previously, levels in X3D are constructed of convex prisms (called "segments"). You can't see the mouse, but when a face's outline changes color, that means I clicked it. Blue is the primary selected face and white is the secondary - you can add a segment connecting the two selected faces. In this case, I added some octagonal prisms and used the extrude, connect, and shrink face tools to make the level. Oh, fun fact, XBuilder uses X3D for rendering haha

By the way, what are the current compatible platforms?
Currently builds only work for Nspire and PC, but I will add more ports later on. At this point, the engine has diverged so much from its original form that it'd be nearly impossible to get to build for the 68k's anymore.

I just finished implementing X3D's .pak loader, which loads archive files (in the format used by Quake). This means levels can finally have multiple files packed into one nice archive. Now, instead of having to have dozens of files for a level you can just have one :D Now that that is complete, I'm going to implement adding textures to walls in XBuilder. Lamely, until this point, all the textures you've seen have been hard-coded on the walls and you couldn't add more textures.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow I actually like the idea. Hopefully this and being available on multiple platforms motivate some people to make their own games or levels out of this engine :)

ztortat

i'm trying to find a download but i cant find it is it just me or there is none?
  ???

catastropher

Quote from: ztortat on January 01, 2017, 03:17:56 PM
i'm trying to find a download but i cant find it is it just me or there is none?
  ???
Right now there aren't any official builds (you'd have to build it from source, which is available on my github here: https://github.com/catastropher). Currently though, the engine is a bit of a mess because I'm upgrading several components now that I'm getting a real level editor somewhat working (https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1802.0). I'd suggest waiting a little while as I get this mess untangled haha

Dream of Omnimaga

I assume that the older downloads attached to previous posts are still available, right? Of course, they're outdated, though, but he could definitively give those a try :)

catastropher

Hey guys! I'm back by (un?)popular demand! Very big things have been happing with X3D. First off, X3D has been going through a major rewrite. Why? Because I'm working on loading Quake level files! As much as I liked XBuilder, I was never going to get anywhere with it. This way, we can use the Quake toolchain for creating maps. Also, I'm implementing a number of Quake technologies to speed up level rendering (such as binary space partitioning and potential visibility sets). This is incredibly exciting because the engine is actually making progress. This screenshot may not look like much, but this is actually the first level of Quake loaded into X3D:

[spoiler=First Level of Quake][/spoiler]

The thing is, I really really need beta testers. Also, it would be a huuuuuge motivation if people were trying out the stuff I was writing as I worked on it. If you're interested, please let me know! It would be a huge help!

123outerme

So you need beta testers, right? I would love to test! I have a monochrome Nspire, if that is helpful information for you.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

gameblabla

I have a TI-Nspire CX and i would love to try it !
How fast is it ?
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)