Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+]The day the walrus flew [Game][Axe][z80][contest]

Started by c4ooo, January 10, 2016, 01:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

Looks really cool! There may not be many games in the contest but they are all great!
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

c4ooo

Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 21, 2016, 09:13:51 PM
It's a fun game. I just wish it had a title screen, HS saving, other little things like that.
After my next semsester starts i will make the title screen look better snd have highscore saving, right now i am trying to make fish collision better ;) (Sometimes when you hit a fish not the whole fish disappears or part of a second fish disappears. Fish collision was also happening a whole 8 horizontal pixels to late <_< )

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I noticed that sometimes fishes don't disappear completely. Collision seemed fine although a little off. Not that off, though (I saw NES/SNES games with less accurate collision detection :P and one of the calculator Pac-Man clone had dots disappear only when they're all the way into Pac-Man mouth)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: Unicorn on January 10, 2016, 07:01:41 AM
lol, it seems that flappy bird is a big thing around here :P

Anyways, this looks like fun, and a bit better than flappy bird ;)
Quote from: kegwaan on January 19, 2016, 11:52:47 PM
Looks fun  :thumbsup: ... Can't wait until we (the rest of us) get a chance to play it   :P
Quote from: alexgt on January 22, 2016, 02:21:11 AM
Looks really cool! There may not be many games in the contest but they are all great!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 22, 2016, 05:48:55 AM
Yeah, I noticed that sometimes fishes don't disappear completely. Collision seemed fine although a little off. Not that off, though (I saw NES/SNES games with less accurate collision detection :P and one of the calculator Pac-Man clone had dots disappear only when they're all the way into Pac-Man mouth)
I aleady fixed collision so that in no longer happens when the fish is half way through you ;) I think i will make the fish more spaced out, as right now it is too hard to programaticly decide the location of the fish, something i must do in order to fill it with white pixels <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

That reminds me, I wonder if it would be hard to implement an extra obstacle that moves up and down and appear every now and then but cannot appear more than once per screen? For example, it could be a mine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2016, 07:55:22 AM
That reminds me, I wonder if it would be hard to implement an extra obstacle that moves up and down and appear every now and then but cannot appear more than once per screen? For example, it could be a mine.

Not posible without a full game rewrite :/
Right now every thing is draw to a buffer whenit spawns, and the buffer is scrolled right every game tick.

alexgt

That is sad, but you could add more horizontal obstacles tho.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

SiphonicSugar

Lol, what if you were to add like walruses on the ground cheering to you because you just started to fly?

Or would that slow the game down too much?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

c4ooo

I dont understand what you mean very well, but objects in the background that you cant interact with are possible ;)

c4ooo

I added a ticalc download link. Note that the ticalc link might be a newer, slightly bugged version of thw game <_<
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/466/46640.html

Dream of Omnimaga

Good to see this uploaded on ticalc. @semiprocoder and @Unicorn should do the same, since their entry are for TI. :P And I see about the moving objects. I guess you could always just use plain inverted squares, but of course if there are two on the screen at once, then that means 4 draws per frame, which could result into a noticeable speed drop.

Dudeman313

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

c4ooo

Right now i want to make, and sell a PC port. However, i will need some grand ideas to make the gameplay more unique. Stuff like power ups or the game. One idea i have right now is to have a simulation of the original ti-84 and a version with new stuff in the same game. So any ideas on what could be added to this PC game?

Dudeman313

Yup. I'm your Dude if you need ideas; Just give me some time sitting and doing nothing productive and I'll have come up with at least 
5 more.

- A much bigger playing field
- More pickups
- WalriiMobile?
- Head Starts?
- A shop?
This could be the next best thing since Jetpack Joyride...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

For power-ups, you could have the following, but I don't know if they could ruin the difficulty, so you might need to add a time limit to them or a cooldown before you can re-use them (or both):

-Laser (destroy what's in front of you instantly and it's not a bullet but rather a simple line that appears instantly)
-Floating (might require changing the controls, but basically you could move up and down freely without any gravity)
-Invincibility

Perhaps lives as well, with increasing level speed and new projectiles such as falling spikes? There could be 1-ups in levels and dying would bring you back at the start of the level or the last checkpoint.

Music (could just be a remix of one of my songs)