Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+]The day the walrus flew [Game][Axe][z80][contest]

Started by c4ooo, January 10, 2016, 01:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

So this was my entry for the CW contest. To download the game, click here
In this game you must spam the up key in order in order to doge past spikes and missiles in while collecting coins fish.
Picture

semiprocoder

Wow that is awesome! The first time I saw that I didn't see the missiles, so I didn't fully get this game.

Also is it just me or are most contestants(eg me) doing something at least remotely related to flappy bird?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Hooloowalrus

x_DispGSEntry:
di
ld a,$07
out ($10),a ;several cc into
ld de,plotSScreen
ld hl,SaveSScreen
push hl
pop hl
ld a,$80
__DispGSNext:
push af
out ($10),a ;72cc into, 71cc loop
ex (sp),hl ;waste
ex (sp),hl ;waste
nop
nop
ld b,12
ld a,$20
out ($10),a ;71cc into
pop af ;semi waste
inc a
push af ;semi waste
__DispGSLoop:
ld a,(de)
nop
or (hl)
inc de
inc hl
ret c ;waste
out ($11),a ;71cc into, 71cc loop
ret c ;waste
ld a,(hl) ;waste
djnz __DispGSLoop
pop af
cp $C0
jr nz,__DispGSNext
__DispGSDone:
push af
pop af
ld a,$05
out ($10),a ;65+18cc into\
ei
ret
__DispGSEnd:

I have not tested this, so I guess we'll find out if it works.
The hex for axe is
Asm(F3
Asm(3E07D310
Asm(11(L1)21(L6)
Asm(E5E1
Asm(3E80F5D310
Asm(E3E30000
Asm(060C
Asm(3E20D310
Asm(F13CF5
Asm(1A00B6
Asm(1323
Asm(D8
Asm(D311
Asm(D87E
Asm(10F4
Asm(F1FEC0
Asm(20DF
Asm(F5F1
Asm(3E05D310
Asm(FBC9

Sorry if this looks silly, this is how I write assembly in axe, so I understand it. you can put it on one line if you like , but then you can easily accidentally clear everything.

EDIT: when this was originally posted, I had forgot to credit the routine this is based on to Axe's 3-level grayscale routine. It is not my original routine
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm he cannot use other people's code without losing some originality points, though, due to contest rules (not that it would be severe, though, since this is more a library)

Anyway I like the idea so far @c4ooo . Will difficulty slowly increase over time?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: semiprocoder on January 10, 2016, 01:36:53 AM
Wow that is awesome! The first time I saw that I didn't see the missiles, so I didn't fully get this game.

Also is it just me or are most contestants(eg me) doing something at least remotely related to flappy bird?
Well, the "day the walrus started to fly", October 24 2014, is a big deal around here. Obviously someone's gonna come up with the idea at some point. And with every big thing, there are imitators :P

But yeah, this game looks great! I'd redesign the wings for the monochrome version of my sprite, though, but this still looks like it'd be fun to play. Reminds me of what my old cancelled entry would have looked like. Can't wait to play it!

Unicorn

lol, it seems that flappy bird is a big thing around here :P

Anyways, this looks like fun, and a bit better than flappy bird ;)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JWinslow23 on January 10, 2016, 06:55:41 AM
Quote from: semiprocoder on January 10, 2016, 01:36:53 AM

Well, the "day the walrus started to fly", October 24 2014, is a big deal around here. Obviously someone's gonna come up with the idea at some point. And with every big thing, there are imitators :P

But yeah, this game looks great! I'd redesign the wings for the monochrome version of my sprite, though, but this still looks like it'd be fun to play. Reminds me of what my old cancelled entry would have looked like. Can't wait to play it!
Yeah I think the Flappy Birdness of this contest is due to that Walrii flight animation from the CW video last year (around the 2 minutes mark)  or the fact people find the flying walrus to look cute (type /walrii in WalrusIRC :P).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZVnpnxGG_w
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 10, 2016, 05:30:55 AM
Hm he cannot use other people's code without losing some originality points, though, due to contest rules (not that it would be severe, though, since this is more a library)

Anyway I like the idea so far @c4ooo . Will difficulty slowly increase over time?
The code is more specialized version of axe's DispGraph, basically it just improves my FPS. If i used the axe rutine i would have to bitwise OR the L1 buffer onto the L6 buffer and then copy to the LCD, but Hooloo's routine automatically copies the both buffers simultaneously. ;)

I deffenitly wont look into increasing difficulty within the 10 day deadline :P Right now i am worried because the game might be a bit to hard :/

Todo: reply to all the other ppl :P

Dream of Omnimaga

You could post a video or animated screenshot of how it looks like

c4ooo

Yea i probably will when the contest is over :P
I [badly] implemented colision with fish, as well as a scoring system, so i am going to send the entry as soon as i can :D

Also yea, there are some paged on this site that have a flying walrus on them soo...

Dream of Omnimaga

By badly, do you mean like Big Rigs? :trollface:

Also not only we have pages with Walrii flying on it, but @Streetwalrus profile has a Garfield walrus on caffeine running on it. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

So I tried what you sent me and I must say it's very fun so far. Also at least it's not as hard as Flappy Bird since you can at least touch the ground :P

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 19, 2016, 08:57:47 PM
So I tried what you sent me and I must say it's very fun so far. Also at least it's not as hard as Flappy Bird since you can at least touch the ground :P
YAY ^.^  ;D ;D :D :) :D
* c4ooo is just thankfull that the game is playable :)

kegwaan

Looks fun  :thumbsup: ... Can't wait until we (the rest of us) get a chance to play it   :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Dudeman313

It's a fun game. I just wish it had a title screen, HS saving, other little things like that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."