Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What if ROL4 '07 would have gotten color graphics?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 14, 2015, 07:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

What the 2007 ROL4 project could have been if color calcs were a thing back then or if the project was revived:

The minimap is a rough idea of where each kingdom and their village, as well as their respective crystal cavern, would be located if the project had gone further. However, Cemetia instead of Cemitia and Titia instead of Ticaltia were names that were also considered for villages. Cemitia and Ticalctia were slated to be located at the top of mountains/plateaus, perhaps Revitia as well, with Maxitia in a volcanic valley. The game would have started right above the Unitia cavern (with the ground collapsing under your feet) and ended in Ticaltia.

If that project ever becomes a thing, then I might use different color shading to limit the contrast as much as possible, though, so that with xLIBC I can perform some special color hue/fade in/out effects without weirdness occuring.

EDIT: Split into separate topic:

Full color:

128 colors:

64 colors:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Do you remember Pokémon Yellow? It used the built-in GBC's GB recoloring in a way that each town had its own colors/hue. YOu could play with that. BOnus points if you do smooth color transitions!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

CKH4

Those tiles are nice for only having 3 colors but wasn't rol3 monochrome ( as in not gray scale )?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: CKH4 on April 14, 2015, 11:38:12 AM
Those tiles are nice for only having 3 colors but wasn't rol3 monochrome ( as in not gray scale )?
Those would be for ROL4 (if it ever gets revived for color calcs as a FF game). When I started planning ROL4 in 2007 the original plan was to re-use ROL3 graphics. I don't know about color paletters but IIRC xLIBCE will support them. Currently, xLIBC only supports palettes for 160x120 pictures.

As for ROL4, the story behind those village name/colors was that the original project was supposed to be a parallel with TI community events at the time, notably how it was slowly dying. People who were around back then probably noticed that the names are similar to big sites at the time and house colors are identical to the colors they used.

EDIT: Here is an updated version where it only uses color 3 through 6 of each set of 8 colors in xLIBC palette:

Color hue change of 6 and 32 on the default set seems fine too.

For the most part, only outlines use the 3rd color of each set, while only village house walls use color 6. This basically allows one to fade the screen in easily with no color glitch. I can also rotate the hue by multiples of 8 easier.

EDIT: Here is another version that is limited to only the 4th and 5th color of each set of 8 xLIBC colors:

I added the color palette used on the right, which is from DCS wiki, but I removed all unused columns of colors.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Hey, do you have access to RTC? You could implement a time-based palette cycling!

Snektron

You mean to like, cycle the hue? that would be cool :o

CKH4

Just like Pokemon pearl you could have day and night. To me that would be the coolest.

Snektron

Yeah that would be cool too. Maybe the colours can be affected by different biomes too. It a village is in the desert have it more yellow etc

CKH4

Yes that would be amazing but we don't want to get our hopes up too much but if I get a ce I'll try a demo like that where it cycles through day and night.

Dream of Omnimaga

That could work I guess. But some colors might look more pink or red I guess. Also I don't know if xLIBC does full map hue change. And I would have to constantly switch color offset when displaying other stuff, which might increase code size a lot x.x

tr1p1ea

Looks awesome! There should be no 'what if' ... it should be done! :D:D:D:D.

*runs*

Dream of Omnimaga

:P

But yeah to be honest it would be way easier to do this than Reuben, because the maps were never done, meaning that I wouldn't run into screen size issues since I could make the map directly 20x15 and not have to implement scrolling.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Aaaand now, I want to play with cycling palettes/hues. Thanks DJ. GOnna open a Grafx2 soon then.

Snektron