Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Reuben Quest: Lost Between Times

Started by Sorunome, September 22, 2016, 09:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorunome

Reuben Quest: Lost Between Times

It's been about two years since I started working on Reuben Quest: Lost Between Times, but now it is finally done!

Have fun joining Reuben in an epic adventure, to do so just download it over here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/468/46837.html
This RPG is full of monsters, caves, secrets, side-quests and much more! With many hours of playtime the fun is guaranteed to last quite some time.

(cross-post from omnimaga)

[spoiler=original post]
So yeah, I picked up reuben 3 dev about a monnth ago or more

To those of you who don't know what reuben 3 is, it is the first installation of the Reuben Quest series, which i've been working on since 2014. The Reuben Quest series is an RPG series originally started by DJ Omnimaga in 2004, back then it was written in TI-BASIC, later on in 2013/2014 I re-made it in Axe/ASM. You can find some more info on that here.

Here are some pics:

Bombs:

Item menu:

Cave/house entering effect:

Enemy death:

[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

What's Reuben?

Just kidding, I saw that you resumed it on Cemetech a few weeks ago and was happy. I like how it adds those nice transitions and features while still staying true to the original games. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

So I was wondering: What does the new magic spell that replaces Cure do? I noticed it shows stars and the enemy gets surrounded by a rectangle for a while, but does it mean it will no longer be possible to heal yourself during battle with magic?

Also does escape work?

Regarding suggestions, I think the attack menu should not disappear when you get attacked and should let you select attack moves/commands while you get attacked. An alternative could be to make the enemy flash or have some animation to warn that the enemy is about to attack, because I often found myself about to confirm a battle command, only to get interrupted every few second because enemy attacks caused the menu to disappear, then I always end up selecting the wrong magic move by accident. But yeah there should be something to warn in advance so that we can remove our finger from the trigger accordingly. :P Awesome game so far, though.

Edit: one major issue with the game is that there is no way to know how many experience we need for the next level.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Sorunome

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 25, 2016, 11:30:21 PM
So I was wondering: What does the new magic spell that replaces Cure do?
It prevents the enemy from attacking while it is surrounded in the box. Especially useful once you learn how to perform quicker attacks
QuoteI noticed it shows stars and the enemy gets surrounded by a rectangle for a while, but does it mean it will no longer be possible to heal yourself during battle with magic?
The only way to heal yourself during battle is by using stuff in your bottle(s), when playing reuben1+2 i found magic heal to be kinda overkill....
Also does escape work?
Yep, 50% chance
Regarding suggestions, I think the attack menu should not disappear when you get attacked and should let you select attack moves/commands while you get attacked. An alternative could be to make the enemy flash or have some animation to warn that the enemy is about to attack, because I often found myself about to confirm a battle command, only to get interrupted every few second because enemy attacks caused the menu to disappear, then I always end up selecting the wrong magic move by accident. But yeah there should be something to warn in advance so that we can remove our finger from the trigger accordingly. :P Awesome game so far, though.
Oh, yeah, right, that thing......the way the engine is working currently doesn't make it exactly......easy. How come you pick the wrong magic attack then, though? The magic / battle menu should just resume right after....
Edit: one major issue with the game is that there is no way to know how many experience we need for the next level.
Do you have any suggestion where to cram it in the stats menu? Literetally the only reason that it isn't displayed is because I can't find any space...... XD
This is a signature.

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the tips. I noticed the stun spell effect now. Pretty handy actually. As for escape it seemed more like 10% chance, though.

As for battle command selection, what I meant is that when I am interrupted is that since I have to select commands very fast I often find myself pressing the arrow keys twice when interrupted, by reflex.

As for experience, due to lack of space you could just make it negative, as in start by displaying the next level experience rewuired and when you gain experience the total decreases. Just rename it to NXT or something.

Dream of Omnimaga

@Sorunome I ran into some major issues this time around D:

1) In the gloves cavern, the higher my current HP, the higher the enemy attack/HP. There are many enemies in there that I could kill in 2 hits until I hit level 11, then everything took 3 hits and when I hit level 12, one of the enemies took 4 hits to go down, even with higher damage from my attacks. As for current HP damage being higher, I mean that if, for example, I have 1120 HP left, then enemies seems more inclined to do over 200 damage per hit, while if I have about 500 left, they usually do under 100 per hit. In one occasion, one of the enemy there casted fire three times in a row and did 400 damage each time, killing me in a single battle in three rounds. There were also multiple instances where enemies attacked 4 times per turn and it seems their speed is randomized.

2) After that battle where the enemy did 400 damage per turn. my save file vanished and I had to restart from the beginning. The memory menu was also filled with garbage until I did a RAM Clear.

3) The cursor appears at random locations in the first village shop.

From now on I'll test on an emulator so that I can level up at 800% speed.

p2

Sorunome mentioned he wanted the monsters to get stronger depending on your level, too, so you couldn't just level to lv20 and then one-hit everyone. But I'm sure that was NOT what he wanted it to be like xD
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Sorunome

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 27, 2016, 10:44:58 PM
@Sorunome I ran into some major issues this time around D:

1) In the gloves cavern, the higher my current HP, the higher the enemy attack/HP. There are many enemies in there that I could kill in 2 hits until I hit level 11, then everything took 3 hits and when I hit level 12, one of the enemies took 4 hits to go down, even with higher damage from my attacks. As for current HP damage being higher, I mean that if, for example, I have 1120 HP left, then enemies seems more inclined to do over 200 damage per hit, while if I have about 500 left, they usually do under 100 per hit. In one occasion, one of the enemy there casted fire three times in a row and did 400 damage each time, killing me in a single battle in three rounds. There were also multiple instances where enemies attacked 4 times per turn and it seems their speed is randomized.
Yes, enemy levels are somewhat randomized there, so it can happen that you encounter the same enemy multiple times while once being stronger and once weaker
2) After that battle where the enemy did 400 damage per turn. my save file vanished and I had to restart from the beginning. The memory menu was also filled with garbage until I did a RAM Clear.
Which level were you at?
3) The cursor appears at random locations in the first village shop.
What do you mean by this?
From now on I'll test on an emulator so that I can level up at 800% speed.
Heehee

Also, I sent you a newer version with better enemy leveling
This is a signature.

Dream of Omnimaga

1) Maybe the randomizing should be less large to prevent being surprised at lv 99 by an enemy that one-shots you, then the next battle you end up one-shotting him? Or maybe it should be based entirely on the enemy type, like in Final Fantasy 8, where if you were at level 20, for example, the snake enemy in an area would always have the same lv 20 stats rather than random ones.

2) Level 12. Also at this point of the game it takes forever to level up it seems x.x

3) When you are asked if you want to buy item or not, the selection cursor is not aligned on any of those options. It's in the middle and goes all over the place when you press Right.

I'll try the new version as soon as I have time.

Dudeman313

So...over the summer while I was completely oblivious to the advancements of the graphing calc community, Sorunome found RQ3 inspiration, changed her avatar, and started posting here? I missed a lot...  :-|
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

c4ooo

@Sorunome joined like a year ago, unfortunately he hasn't really bean active here :(

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, Reuben 3 actually started shortly after Reuben 2 ASM remake if I remember correctly. But development stalled quite a few times. Even on Omni there were months without updates. As long as it doesn't suffer from the endless code rewrite syndrome like Escheron did, then I'm good. :)

(by endless code rewrite syndrome, I mean how some game programmers rewrite their code from scratch over and over. Escheron has been in development for almost 9 years now and it has been rewritten from scratch at least 6 or 7 times.)

Sorunome

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 17, 2016, 06:23:35 AM
Well, Reuben 3 actually started shortly after Reuben 2 ASM remake if I remember correctly.
That is correct!
QuoteBut development stalled quite a few times. Even on Omni there were months without updates. As long as it doesn't suffer from the endless code rewrite syndrome like Escheron did, then I'm good. :)

(by endless code rewrite syndrome, I mean how some game programmers rewrite their code from scratch over and over. Escheron has been in development for almost 9 years now and it has been rewritten from scratch at least 6 or 7 times.)
I would actually love to re-write bigger portions of the game but I force myself not to do it in order to be able to finish it ;)
This is a signature.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah there are many people in the community that did the opposite, resulting into an endless rewrite cycle that would last over a year or more. Often, what happened is that when the first rewrite started, the author lost interest and the project died. Sometimes it happened after a few more rewrites. However, sometimes the project would not die, but instead be dragged on for years, alienating most of its fans in the process, who thus checked updates much less often after a rewrite was announced.

That said, everytime I take one of my old projects and improve, continue or remake it, I have to rewrite big portions of it because I just don't understand what the code did anymore >.< . It can be good to do it once for a project, but you really have to plan well to avoid this from becoming an habit or a repeated occurence. It's good to not wait too long before rewriting either, so that fewer code has to be rewritten.

Sorunome

[cross-post from omnimaga]
I need a beta tester!

Currently I need someone to test the first few dungeons of the game so that I know how far they will level there so that I know about which level the player will have in later levels.....anybody wants to?
This is a signature.