Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Pocketchip

Started by Alvajoy123, April 13, 2017, 04:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvajoy123

look at the Pocketchip :-\

tell what you think about it  :thumbsup:

Page website: https://getchip.com/
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CE
The maker of Xenon.

Dream of Omnimaga

I was planning to get one last year, but then I heard that the d-pad controls were kinda wonky. I wish they added a proper d-pad or something for easier gameplay.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

Yeah, I saw this a year ago as well, it's a good idea.
My friend and I just got a Raspberry Pi 3 instead because it only cost him $35CDN for one,
and it's more popular.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2017, 05:16:38 PM
I was planning to get one last year, but then I heard that the d-pad controls were kinda wonky. I wish they added a proper d-pad or something for easier gameplay.
Not only that, i heard that first production builds would stop working after a few weeks. (with no visible damages or anything)
The company behind it refused to refund the customers.
The lack of a proper dpad really kills this product : everyone told me that they were excited for the PocketChip and when they got it,
they ended up being disappointed due to the lack of said dpad.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Hayleia

For some reason I wanted one two years ago when it was only a Kickstarter. Now I don't care anymore. I'd rather have a real PC for computer things and more specific devices for more specific tasks, such as a Game Pie Advance for my handheld retrogaming needs. Yeah, it has no keyboard which is annoying if I want to do C, but let's stop pretending I'd enjoy doing C on any of these tiny screens anyway. I'd only use them for retrogaming, and the GPA is better at that.

Also, there was already a topic about that here https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1317.0

TheMachine02

Quote from: gameblabla on April 13, 2017, 08:52:55 PM
Not only that, i heard that first production builds would stop working after a few weeks. (with no visible damages or anything)

I guess we can say that the chip is cheap.

* TheMachine02 is already outside

Alvajoy123

There should be a case for it so u don't need to worrie about the pad
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CE
The maker of Xenon.

novenary

Quote from: TheMachine02 on April 14, 2017, 08:32:17 AM
I guess we can say that the chip is cheap.
What if I told you that was intended. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gameblabla on April 13, 2017, 08:52:55 PM
The company behind it refused to refund the customers.
The lack of a proper dpad really kills this product : everyone told me that they were excited for the PocketChip and when they got it,
they ended up being disappointed due to the lack of said dpad.
Darn that's bad D: . To be honest, if I was gonna buy some sort of old-school computer like this I would rather buy a more universal device.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

It's not the best handheld device and the keyboard sucks (especially when it comes to the "d-pad"), but you can plug a cheap usb snes gamepad in it so it's rather ok.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

But having to hold a gamepad for such small screen must be a bit akward :P