Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+ Series Hybrid BASIC] Sorcery of Uvutu (Released!)

Started by 123outerme, October 15, 2015, 10:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 27, 2016, 05:11:58 PM
Yeah that would be a cool idea, and maybe a Dragonsglid remake. Also if you do a sequel to this game then it would be cool if all areas were linked together by another. For example, you could start in a prison or something, exit, then end up in a forest with an house hidden there to heal you and with a boss at the end, then afterwards you end up in a village with more forest that links to various dungeons (north, south, southwest, etc) or areas. So the game would be one big map like Illusiat 13.
That's a really cool idea! As soon as I reach the edge of a world (because worlds right now can be a max of 9x9) and try to go onwards, I can just wrap the world number over. Although I think after this I'll try out some other genres with xLIBC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Wrapping the world would be a good idea actually, although you would need to make sure to maximize the use of each map to not waste space. And yeah other game genres would be nice as well, especially that on the 84+CE games will most likely run much faster, thus, allowing more possibilities.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 28, 2016, 04:55:48 AM
Wrapping the world would be a good idea actually, although you would need to make sure to maximize the use of each map to not waste space. And yeah other game genres would be nice as well, especially that on the 84+CE games will most likely run much faster, thus, allowing more possibilities.
Yeah, I think that I want to move on to a certain Nintendo fighter as my next project (or at least attempt it). I already have some ideas, but none for a working camera, so far. Possibly just a scrolling camera using code similar to the "pseudo-3D" thing I showed/talked about that once. And on the topic of the CE, I don't think I'll get one. If my CSE breaks, I'll try to get another one if I can find it. But if I can't get one without spending more than MSRP or buying a used one, I'll get a CE and hope Doors CE becomes fully compatible with Doors CSE.

Dream of Omnimaga

Could you link to that pseudo 3D thing? I forgot what it was. And I see about the CE, I hope you reconsider at one point but I could understand if you don't get one.

As for a Nintendo fighter, do you mean a beat-em-up or something like Punch Out?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, has there been any new map progress on Uvutu? (I also split the Smash Bros/scrolling talk into a new topic https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1200.0 )

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 10, 2016, 07:15:50 PM
On a side note, has there been any new map progress on Uvutu? (I also split the Smash Bros/scrolling talk into a new topic https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1200.0 )
(Thanks!)
Yes, I've completed all of World 4. I just have to fix some bugs, and I'll send it out.

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool to hear. I am curious about how it will be like. :)

By the way, is the world size still fixed to 8 maps each?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 11, 2016, 07:18:04 AM
Cool to hear. I am curious about how it will be like. :)

By the way, is the world size still fixed to 8 maps each?
It was never "fixed" to 8 maps, I just wanted there to not be too many maps for balance and size issues. Since I'm using 2 map AppVars, I can store more data, and theoretically, I can have more maps. Although I still want to keep it to 2 AppVars, but for World 8 (and a possible secret World 9) I might need to have 3. We'll see. And I'll fix those bugs, since I figured them out while I was on my calc AFK, and send it out.

123outerme

Here's a new gif of weaknesses and upgraded attack animations! The yellow flash indicates that you've used a move that the enemy is weak to. Instead of just guesswork, the NPCs will also hint to/tell you the enemies' weaknesses. On top of this, NPCs will also offer other helpful advice (especially in the first dungeon) and and offer to upgrade your attacks. (Although that last one was always present)

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the flash idea. Also, I have a suggestion that might be coming late, but I think each village should have an extra house where a character gives game advice and explaisn how the game work, kinda like in Final Fantasy VI. In later areas, the person could explain more advanced stuff, like you did above.

Also I still hope for magic animations that are larger than 8x8 at some point later in the game. :)

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 12, 2016, 02:46:13 AM
I like the flash idea. Also, I have a suggestion that might be coming late, but I think each village should have an extra house where a character gives game advice and explaisn how the game work, kinda like in Final Fantasy VI. In later areas, the person could explain more advanced stuff, like you did above.

Also I still hope for magic animations that are larger than 8x8 at some point later in the game. :)
Thanks! I have the game advice already implemented, but it's primarily in the first world (obviously as an optional "tutorial").
As for the magic animations, I will attempt to make the more powerful moves take up more than 1 sprite slot, but this is only if I have enough space in the tileset.

Dream of Omnimaga

If the dialog is very long for the tutorial, you could ask the player if he wants to read it with a choice box.

Dudeman313

As long as you can speed up the text. The disablility to do so can be a real pain in some games.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, especially Ocarina of Time. >.<

Dudeman313

Or, if you played it, squidgetx's Ash:Phoenix Demo that had a beautiful (but terribly slow  <_<) intro.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."